Person of the week: McCoy

The Original Series
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Person of the week: McCoy

Post by Teaos »

The only redeeming character in all of TOS (Not hard considering I hated the vast majority of that series)

Chances are the enterprise would have been no where near as famous (or long lived) if McCoy wasn't there to tell Kirk he was a moron. With little regard for protocol he balanced out Spook nicely.

I suppose I as a person see my self in McCoy's position. Little regard for protocol or rules but usually does the right thing.

He is also one of the few people who we can really pin an advanced age on at around 140 and still going strong.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

McCoy was always my favorite. I used to use the name generally on the internet some years back, and used a relative a couple times for e-mail RPGs. From the ages of about 12-14, in fact.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah he seems to be a character that appeals to almost anyone. But then again given his attitude I doubt he would survive on other more regimented ships.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think McCoy was necessary to balance Spock. Without McCoy's passionate, undisciplined approach, the logical regimented Spock would have been much too sterile to take for an hour at a time.

I am one of the folks who believe that there should be much more military-style discipline on Starfleet ships, but I appreciate McCoy's precedence of his profession over his office. It seems to work, while Crusher always just came off as petulant and whiney.

Some of this is of course due to Kelley's ability matching the role perfectly.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think every ships would benifit from a McCoy but to many may cause a problem.

Kelley was also a great actor and filled the roll perfectly.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, McCoy was a good character. He was one of my favourites from the start.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McCoy and the Voyager EMH are my favorite doctors in the SW universe. Far better than Flaux, Brashir, Crusher or that other woman that was on TNG for a little while.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I agree. I don't have a real problem with Phlox, but he just doesn't stand out to me either positively or negatively. Crusher was a brat, Pulaski was stereotyped and obnoxious, and Bashir just made me want to hit him in the face with a brick.
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

If I could have my choice of any doctor for my EMH, it'd be the chainsmoking one out of BSG.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Doc. Cottle?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:If I could have my choice of any doctor for my EMH, it'd be the chainsmoking one out of BSG.
Cottle.

As for the others, McCoy was good, Crusher was a whiney irritant, Pulaski was an attempt at a McCoy Mk 2, Bashir was pretty good once he'd matured a bit (and his and O'Brien's drunken redition of Jerusalem is one of my favouritr scenes in Trek), Phlox was yet another bland Enterprise character. The best of the bunch was, by far, the Voyager EMH - the one character who treated the rest of the crew like the bunch of blithering idiots they were. Picardo made the most of his seeming monopoly on the best lines, and made him the most developed character of the early series.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Captain Seafort wrote:
kostmayer wrote:If I could have my choice of any doctor for my EMH, it'd be the chainsmoking one out of BSG.
Cottle.

As for the others, McCoy was good, Crusher was a whiney irritant, Pulaski was an attempt at a McCoy Mk 2, Bashir was pretty good once he'd matured a bit (and his and O'Brien's drunken redition of Jerusalem is one of my favouritr scenes in Trek), Phlox was yet another bland Enterprise character. The best of the bunch was, by far, the Voyager EMH - the one character who treated the rest of the crew like the bunch of blithering idiots they were. Picardo made the most of his seeming monopoly on the best lines, and made him the most developed character of the early series.
I read recently that with the addition of Pulaski, essentially McCoy in drag, TNG Season 2 was able to use a number of scripts from the aborted Star Trek Phase two, which would have featured McCoy, with a minimum of rewriting. They had already cannibalized a few for season 1.
No major bearing on McCoy, just finding out about Phase two a few months ago really intrigued me.....
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I liked Phlox. I think it gave a nice element to the piece of crap that was Enterprise.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Enkidu wrote:...just finding out about Phase two a few months ago really intrigued me.....
Phase Two is what would have happened until Paramount decided to make TMP. If you go to the starships section of http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org there is a detail of a screencap from TMP showing the ship which would have been the hero ship for the show, now in use as a background model for the interior of the Spacedock.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I love McCoy's character. He was often the only one with enough gumption to stand up to Kirk. The scene in Encoutner at Farpoint was so touching...