Funny pics

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Funny pics

Post by IanKennedy »

The hulk threw be for a a while. I was thinking of Loki multiverse and Moon knight.
email, ergo spam
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Coalition wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:24 am Image
I don't think some will get that.

For those who don't know, that is a caliper. The end that is being used for the hole is actually used to measure exterior measurements. The other side of that end, the two small spikes pointing up is what you use to measure hole diameters. Or anything kind of hole.

Oh that is a older style of caliper using the vernier caliper. Takes some training and experience to read that reliably. Nowadays you just cheat and buy a digital caliper. Even the cheap ones work and cost like $20.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:19 am

For those who don't know, that is a caliper. The end that is being used for the hole is actually used to measure exterior measurements. The other side of that end, the two small spikes pointing up is what you use to measure hole diameters. Or anything kind of hole.

Oh that is a older style of caliper using the vernier caliper. Takes some training and experience to read that reliably. Nowadays you just cheat and buy a digital caliper. Even the cheap ones work and cost like $20.
Sadly, I have to admit I am one of them. I knew it was the wrong tool, just not how it was wrong.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:55 pm

Sadly, I have to admit I am one of them. I knew it was the wrong tool, just not how it was wrong.
But if you look at it there is a slope on the side pressed against the hole. If you were to insert it further into the hole you would get a smaller reading, further out a larger one. That should say right away that it can't possibly work that way. If you look at the inside of the tool it is straight up and down on both parts. Equally the top half of the tool is straight up and down on the outer edges. A clear indication of how it should be used?
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:03 pm
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:55 pm

But if you look at it there is a slope on the side pressed against the hole. If you were to insert it further into the hole you would get a smaller reading, further out a larger one. That should say right away that it can't possibly work that way. If you look at the inside of the tool it is straight up and down on both parts. Equally the top half of the tool is straight up and down on the outer edges. A clear indication of how it should be used?
Yep. The knife edge though not as obvious I think would be another indicator. Both sides of the caliper you can see the knife edges which allows for the most precise measurements as opposed to the flat side or rounded sides.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

A classic. I lived in an apartment and lost hot water. I called Maintenance about it:

Me: I got no hot water.
Maintenance: How do you know?
Me: Uhh.
*at this moment I think the person on the other side realized what he said.
Maintenance: Yeah, we will check on it within the hour.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I used to deal with a software support line which would constantly ask for a picture of the problem. A screenshot or some such. They wouldn't get past that point if you didn't provide one.

At one point the system failed to respond at all. Given the requirement I shortcut the inevitable request for a picture by sending a blank white picture. That's what nothing looks like! It worked :)
email, ergo spam
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Relativity Calculator
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ooh, that's a nasty burn. :D
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Relativity Calculator