UCS Askad-Hazaline

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

A very nice bit of work. What sort of ammunition capacity to these weapons have?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They don't fire physical rounds; they are more like super-high tech particle beam weapons. Round capacity is limited only by how much the ship totes in its magazines.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

That's what I meant - looking at the specs it appears that each turret has its own dedicated matter and antimatter storage tanks. When I spoke of "ammunition" I was wondering about the capacity of those tanks.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

No, they all beam and torp weapons are fed from the two main magazines; the big things with the green stripes on them.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You sure have done your due diligence figuring out how all these ships can blast each other to hell and back, haven't you?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

OK, understood. I was taking the WW2 analogy you used for these ships a little too literally, with the magazines under the turrets. What's in the big cylinders then? Turret rotation stuff and piping from the magazines?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Gear to rotate the turret; remember these things are pretty big, and they have to be able to slew about damn fast and yet line up to an absolutely horrendous accuracy. That takes some doing.

The rift generator.

Connection systems for the matter/antimatter distribution network within the ship so that they can bring the rounds in.

Encasement systems to wrap the beams in the fields that let them pass through midspace, along with doing other fun things to make them more effective at the other end.

People to run all this.

A power system to power it all.

Backups for all of the above.
You sure have done your due diligence figuring out how all these ships can blast each other to hell and back, haven't you?
Oh yes. What you are seeing is the culmination of more than a decade's worth of work, my friend.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Mark 2 AMP cannon is the standard light AMP cannon in use on Coalition warships; virtually every armed Coalition vessel carries one of more of these.

Essentially all AMP cannon are scaled up or down versions of one another. If you want a mental image of what "Mark X" means, think of it as calibre in inches; so the Mark 6 is like a 6 inch naval gun, while the Mark 2 is like a 50 mm anti air gun.

The Mark 2 technically has something of a dual role; it would be useless against a capital ship with decent shields and/or armour, but if you were in an older, obsolete combat ship - the kind that mercenaries or pirates might have - then getting peppered with these would not be fun. It would also be a pretty damn effective planetary bombardment weapon, if you want a World War III style bombardment. :)

Against a completely unarmed or unarmoured ships (think today's space shuttle) pretty much any AMP cannon is going to blow it to atoms.

Incidentally, the resolution that this and the Mark 6 are posted in is the resolution I draw most of the modern ships at; the Askad-Hazaline pic I posted originally is over 4,400 pixels wide, while the Kororra class pic is more than 14,000. Be thankful I post scaled down versions here!

More technical data on the cannon than you could want will follow...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:More technical data on the cannon than you could want will follow...
I doubt it - you can't post too much tech detail. :)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If you yourself post the technical information about these weapons, does that mean that these cannon are canon?

I'm so sorry...
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

*smacks Mikey in the face with a wet trout*
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Specs for the Mark 6 and Mark 2 AMP cannon currently in Coalition use. I hope the formatting works out, this was not easy to do...

<table><tr><td width='200'>Model</td><td width='200'></td><td width='200'>KW-38</td><td width='200'>KX-30</td></tr><tr><td>Mark</td><td></td><td>6</td><td>2</td></tr><tr><td>Mass</td><td>kg</td><td>3,499.2</td><td>129.6</td></tr><tr><td>Energy</td><td>J</td><td>2.58x10^20</td><td>8.15x10^18</td></tr><tr><td>Conversion Efficiency</td><td>%</td><td>81.92%</td><td>69.87%</td></tr><tr><td>Duration</td><td>microSec</td><td>330</td><td>690</td></tr><tr><td>Peak Power</td><td>W</td><td>7.82x10^23</td><td>1.18x10^22</td></tr><tr><td>Velocity</td><td>kc</td><td>77,500</td><td>55,300</td></tr><tr><td>Length</td><td>light seconds</td><td>25,575</td><td>38,157</td></tr><tr><td>Range</td><td>klh</td><td>16.361</td><td>4.009</td></tr><tr><td>Flight Time</td><td>seconds</td><td>0.76</td><td>0.26</td></tr><tr><td>Diameter</td><td>m</td><td>2.7</td><td>2</td></tr><tr><td>Area</td><td>m^2</td><td>5.73</td><td>3.14</td></tr><tr><td>Density</td><td>kgm^-3</td><td>3.98x10^-11</td><td>1.80x10^-12</td></tr><tr><td>Intensity</td><td>W/m^2</td><td>4.51x10^19</td><td>2.59x10^18</td></tr><tr><td>Rate of Fire</td><td>rpm</td><td>16</td><td>24</td></tr><tr><td>Average Power</td><td>W</td><td>6.88x10^19</td><td>3.26x10^18</td></tr><tr><td>Mass Throughput</td><td>Kg/sec</td><td>9.33x10^02</td><td>5.18x10^01</td></tr><tr><td>Track Angle</td><td>deg</td><td>360.00</td><td>360.00</td></tr><tr><td>Elevation Angle</td><td>deg</td><td>60.00</td><td>82.00</td></tr><tr><td>Track Speed</td><td>deg/s</td><td>60.00</td><td>140.00</td></tr><tr><td>Elevation Speed</td><td>deg/s</td><td>50.00</td><td>110.00</td></tr><tr><td>Aiming Resolution</td><td>DRS</td><td>75.000</td><td>240.000</td></tr><tr><td>Max Miss distance</td><td>m</td><td>218.15</td><td>16.71</td></tr></table>
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

One of my favorite designs you've done. It looks awesome.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

With torpedo layout and internal AMP cannon arrangement displayed.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Monroe wrote:One of my favorite designs you've done. It looks awesome.
Yeah, this one really looks like a predator.
as Bull offed Custer