Stupid question for people smarter than I

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Stupid question for people smarter than I

Post by Mikey »

Because of access, modernity vs. obsolence of my equipment, and other factors I now use a Mac rather than my Win PC 95% of the time. However, I am hardly what one would call "skilled" with either. Here's my (probably) stupid question: if I want to take play some old PC games on one of my Macs, is there any other option to do so aside from buying a version of Windows and setting it up under a Boot Camp partition?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Stupid question for people smarter than I

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

On Linux there's a software package called WINE which acts as an intermediate layer to simulate a Windows environment within it's little bubble and in effect fool a program into thinking that it's running in Windows. Even programs as complicated as the Office suite can be run in this fashion. I'm not aware off-hand of a similar utility on the Mac side. Even if there were such a Windows emulator, the performance obviously wouldn't be as great as running the program directly. There is the option of running Windows in a so-called "Virtual Machine" within Mac OS but that would cause an even larger performance penalty. In the particular example of a game, that game wouldn't have direct access to your Mac's video hardware running under such a condition.

Dual-booting would be the option to deliver the best performance for any Windows applications.

PS, that question isn't all that "stupid" really.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You're very kind. :lol: As it is, I'm using... *ahem* borrowed MacBooks so I don't even know if I have access to Boot Camp, much less a version of Windows. I'm not really worried about performance - I'm not much of a gamer, and was really only considering picking up a couple of older (c. 1998) games that I saw on the cheap or maybe SW: Battlefront.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

OK, I did a bit of searching and found a Mac version of what I was talking about. CrossOver runs Windows programs in Mac OS (In a little sort of virtual box). For games that old it should be fine. It's paid software, but a fair bit less costly than buying a full version of Windows to either dual boot or install in a virtual machine.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmm. I have an Intel DuoCore, ergo I have Boot Camp... I might even have an old version of XP laying around somewhere. That emulator might be something to consider, though, because I'm slightly hesitant about installing a partition and a new OS on a machine that technically isn't mine.
as Bull offed Custer