Phone tracking

In the real world
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Phone tracking

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Department of Homeland Security wants to put a sensor in every phone...
What a bunch of bullshit. They shouldn't get away with this, but I'm sure they will.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Funny pics

Post by Deepcrush »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Department of Homeland Security wants to put a sensor in every phone...
What a bunch of bullshit. They shouldn't get away with this, but I'm sure they will.
A, where the hell is this in the thread...
B, all phones have sensors in them since thats how they connect to the phone network.
C, DHS has been asking for permission for years to have open access to the records to which the DoJ has told them to piss off.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:A, where the hell is this in the thread...
I was wondering about that myself.
Deepcrush wrote:B, all phones have sensors in them since thats how they connect to the phone network.
Yeah, don't the phones even ask if you want to activate the GPS monitor when you subscribe to navigation?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

In the Trek thing that was posted on the previous page. Under Tricorder I believe. They mention that.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ah, its for chemicals... Yeah... now just to get everyone to walk to their local FBI field office and hand over their phone for testing.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

#2 on the list of Trek technology on the last page.

Pretty sure the idea is to have it wirelessly relay the data.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:#2 on the list of Trek technology on the last page.

Hmm. My phone asked me if I wanted to enable a tracking transceiver function when I signed up for the Navigator app. So, not only is such a sensor (of sorts) already extant, it offered me a choice about its activity.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

True, but for testing they still need a physical sample.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:

Hmm. My phone asked me if I wanted to enable a tracking transceiver function when I signed up for the Navigator app. So, not only is such a sensor (of sorts) already extant, it offered me a choice about its activity.
I just activated the same thing on my phone a few hours ago. But then I don't really care if the men in the black helicopters know where I go, and don't really see why they would want to anyway.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The constant complaints from civis about how the government has nothing better to do but spend their days tracking their movements to the store and toilet is a rather common joke at work. But this is just a nice little reminder of the blind ego of the average civilian.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Mikey wrote:Hmm. My phone asked me if I wanted to enable a tracking transceiver function when I signed up for the Navigator app. So, not only is such a sensor (of sorts) already extant, it offered me a choice about its activity.
Yeah, I'm not interested in having a GPS device in my phone, period. If every phone ends up with one in a few years, I'll just get used to not owning one again. I didn't own one until just last year, so no problem for me.
You already have on in your phone. It's actively tracked by the 911 service, and inactively can be tracked by any other service that really wants to in the government, as long as they get the right permits for it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nickswitz wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Mikey wrote:Hmm. My phone asked me if I wanted to enable a tracking transceiver function when I signed up for the Navigator app. So, not only is such a sensor (of sorts) already extant, it offered me a choice about its activity.
Yeah, I'm not interested in having a GPS device in my phone, period. If every phone ends up with one in a few years, I'll just get used to not owning one again. I didn't own one until just last year, so no problem for me.
You already have on in your phone. It's actively tracked by the 911 service, and inactively can be tracked by any other service that really wants to in the government, as long as they get the right permits for it.

I am one of those people that really do not care if the government listened in on my calls or tracked me through my cell phone or watches me sleep to make sure the brainwashing is working etc.

I understand and do full support that the govnerment shouldn't be able to do it, it's just... my life sucks.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I had a discussion like this with somebody who wanted to convince me that the government monitors all phone calls, all cameras, tracks all citizens, everything, 24/7. He said it was done because "information gives them control". Frankly, I don't think the people in charge of the world actually care to know any of that stuff about me. I mean, I'm so dull...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Said individual clearly has no concept of the type of manpower it would take to accomplish what he is suggesting.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Lighthawk wrote:Said individual clearly has no concept of the type of manpower it would take to accomplish what he is suggesting.
You don't underatand, man! The Man needs to keep... okay, I'm sorry. I can't finish this. I'm laughing too hard. :lol: