UCS Askad-Amarine

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

UCS Askad-Amarine

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Askad-Amarine is a midspace mapping and exploration vessel in use with the Coalition. The vessel's role is to chart midspace regions
and conduct scientific probes of the phenomena there, most especially the filament storms to be found - a role which gives rise to the
ubiquitous nickname of "storm-rider" for these types of ship.

The design of the Askad-Amarine itself is relatively conventional; a central slab hull with a power system beneath, fuel tanks ahead of
the power system, propulsors aft, and midspace shunts above. One unique feature is the placement of the propulsor engine radiatiors;
these point straight downwards rather than aft, allowing the radiation from them to escape the ship. However, the most unusual feature
of these ships is the heavy-duty hull modules which are
added to them. These match the contour of the ship's drivefield almost perfectly. They are heavily armoured and reinforced, to
withstand the enormous stresses of a midspace filament storm. Despite their strength the hulls are gradually battered and abraded
by storms, and are usually replaced every few years.

The ship carries four high resolution sensor arrays which it uses to chart midspace conditions out to several light years radius. The ships
are unarmed and unshielded. Although not armoured as such, the add on hulls would give considerable protection to weapons fire.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

This one rocks. I rather like the design, and thanks for showing it sans armor modules.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nice. :) I particularly like the icebreaker inspiration for the design, and its modular construction. If the armour modules are too badly damaged you can pull them off, slap a new set on and you're ready to go. You don't have to send the entire ship off for repairs.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's what I wanted with this one. I looked through some different types of support ships in wet navies, looking for units to round out
the fleet, and came across an icebreaker. I just thought "wow, nobody ever made a space icebreaker before that I know of."

It's not an icebreaker as such - doesn't batter a path for others to follow or anything. More a sort of ocean research vessel.

And yeah, I like the modular head and tail too :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Eosphoros
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Eosphoros »

Wow, I'm amazed! It's very refreshing to find something so original when 90% of all designs on the Internet are ugly kitbashes.
"How humane humans are is shown by their regard for the mother tongue."
Friedrich Schiller

"Navik on živi ki zgine pošteno."
Fran Krsto Frankapan

"Sors bona, nihil aliud."
Zrinski family motto
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Wasn't the Askad in the Area 51 books?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Askad is Turgran, it means "lucky in battle". It's a prefix used on all Turgran-named military vessels.

Porad means "lucky in business", and is used on commercial ships.

Vasad means "lucky in relationships", and is used on non-commercial civilian ships.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm... maybe they should have an eye on the prow, like Greek ships?

Just kidding. As I mentioned with the Elephant, and to use a modern-day analogyit's refreshing to see a writer who actually understands that a force needs its C-130's as much as it needs its F-22's and Nimitz-classes.

And I for one appreciate a design that makes sense for its purpose much more than one that just looks like a space hot rod.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UCS Askad-Amarine

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Been playing with this design a bit. Decided it looked too bland as it was, so I've added some sensors and probe launchers to the storm hull, and put some weathering damage in to give it a hard-used, beat up feel. I really like how that's turned out, though it was a LOT of work hand drawing it all... and the stuff on the aft view is still a temp job that needs fixing.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: UCS Askad-Amarine

Post by Captain Seafort »

Very nice. It's surprising how much of a change those few details have made - they've changed it from something that looks like a design drawing to something much more like a working ship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.