SG-1 Prometheus Line Drawing

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

SG-1 Prometheus Line Drawing

Post by McAvoy »

So here is the final product of the line drawing I started in this thread.

Currently working on the 304/Daedalus class. Should be much easier since it's been around much longer. There are also great shots from the series and Ark of Truth.

Thoughts?

"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: SG-1 Prometheus Line Drawing

Post by Nutso »

Holy crap! You did that? That's excellent!
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah I did. The original is much larger. This one was scaled down to 40%.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Are you the artist for http://www.shipschematics.net/ ?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Uh.. no. That guy's name is Jim Stevenson. My name is Greg McAvoy.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Very impressive. I look forward to seeing your 304. :) Regarding the mass, armament and sublight speed, did you get them from dialogue, visuals, or simply guesstimate them yourself a la Graham's white text?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Armament I got from Wikipedia. I still have to look into visuals which isn't alot to base off to begin with. It may have came from background info for all I know.

Sublight speed is off dialogue which I have to look up where exactly.

Mass is a guesstimate using a Nimitz class carrier as a basis. It is probably more based on that the materials used is denser. But the Nimitz class does have a huge empty hanger. Could even itself out a bit.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Mass is a guesstimate using a Nimitz class carrier as a basis. It is probably more based on that the materials used is denser. But the Nimitz class does have a huge empty hanger. Could even itself out a bit.
One method I've seen used a lot is to assume that a ship is 5 % solid by volume, and that its construction material has the density of iron. It might be interesting to see what sort of numbers that gives you.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Problem is figuring out the volume to begin with. The Prometheus has a bunch of blocky crap all over the place. Not exactly my area of expertise.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It's very blockiness will make a rough estimate of the volume easier - simply split it into a number of geometric shapes and calculate the volume from that. Take the ISD as an example - there's no way in hell you can get an accurate volume for that thing without some very fancy computer modelling, but you can get a rough estimate by modelling it as a diamond-based pyramid, plugging in the key dimensions of the main hull, and hey presto - 1E8 m^3. For the Prommie I'd just draw boxes round the main hull sections and treat it as if it were a number of oblongs. The mass estimate will never be more than an order of magnitude guess anyway, so the fact that you won't get a precise number for the volume doesn't really matter. Just try not to skew your boxes too much towards being collectively bigger or smaller than the hull sections they're based on.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I figured as much. Maybe I'll do it later. Probably just print it out and do it on paper.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Very impressive work, and I think your take on the scaling is dead on. A sub-200m Prometheus that somehow houses 302's is patently ridiculous.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

My take on the scaling is based off of the deck heights actually. The U-shaped superstructure has four platforms each with windows on it. Makes more sense if those were one deck each. Then the 302's worked well with that.

Currently working on the side drawing of the 304. This is my second attempt. The firts attempt was a pain in the butt to fix the proportions and found out later on that the 304's neck is muc more longer than I thought it was. So I gave up. Deleted it and started anew. Overall the second attempt is looking good. Still trying to figure out what's underneath the flat platform.

I also found out that there are multiple models for the 304. They are closer to each other than the Prometheus. But for example, one has less detailed hull lines but has these huge panels sticking out. Whereas the other model has more detailed hull lines but the panels are less defined.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Here is what I got so far:

As you can see I'm mostly working from front to back.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Here is an update. As you can see it is coming along nicely. I am trying to figure out the hanger pods and the allignment of the engines.

Also if anyone wants the full size version of the 303, they can PM me.