So the world's about to end...

In the real world
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

So the world's about to end...

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Story
A New York man spent his entire $140,000 life savings advertising his prediction that the world will end May 21, the New York Post reported Friday.

Robert Fitzpatrick, a 60-year-old Staten Island resident, said he spent at least that sum on 1,000 subway-car placards and ads on bus kiosks and subway cars.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/14/ne ... z1MWHHjJAe

Apparently this date had gathered more than a few believers in the last couple of months. I have to say, this guy in particular I have some respect for - I obviously don't agree with his view, but he's certainly followed through on it and put his money where his mouth is.

Those who profess to believe it whilst still going to work, paying the rent, etc... seems rather a dubious position to be in to me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: So the world's about to end...

Post by Tyyr »

If you want to get technical about it the Christian judgment day said to occur when no one is expecting it. Therefore anyone going around doing this is pretty much guaranteeing that it WON'T be on this day.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I doubt you could have any time at all when somebody somewhere isn't expecting it. End of world predictions are a daily occurrence.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

The story = :picard:
Tyyr wrote:Therefore anyone going around doing this is pretty much guaranteeing that it WON'T be on this day.
JUDGEMENT DAY IS TOMORROW!! tinhat
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The guy might be insane but he's putting his money where his mouth is.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

He's going to have one radically different view on his beliefs on the morning of 5/22.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

He's just insane. This whole thing seems to be a marketing scam to get people to buy his book. No way in hell though he's going to make up the difference.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:He's going to have one radically different view on his beliefs on the morning of 5/22.
So would I - question one would be where the other ten months came from. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

...should I take Friday off?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd give good money to see an interview with this guy the day after...
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Should we put bags over our heads or lay down? Would that help?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Eh, like most guys in this position he'll just blow it off as having slightly missed the date and Armageddon will be around shortly.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:Should we put bags over our heads or lay down?
If you like.
Would that help?
Not at all.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

It's the apocalypse all right. I always thought I'd have a hand in it. (cookie)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

We have a few people here in Paradise that believe it as well. I asked one guy who came in to Radio Shack a few months ago to buy a battery powered radio, and I asked him if he would like to get the 1 yr. replacement plan for a few bucks extra, and he said nah, that we won't even be here in a couple of months. I explained that if he was moving, he could redeem the plan over the phone by calling the 800 number on the plan. He snickered a little and said I didn't understand, that NOBODY would be around in a couple of months because of Armageddon and the Rapture. If I didn't have any other customers in the store, I would have probably gotten into a very in depth discussion of how May 21 could never be the date of Armageddon, but, oh well. Apparently, it's exactly 7,000 yrs. since the flood of Noah's day. What I would like to know is how they came up with the exact date of Noah's flood being May 21, 4089 B.C. As you said, G.K., I'd actually pay money to see what this idiot would say when 5/22 rolls around and we're still breathing. As Tyyr mentioned, the Bible does say that "concerning the day and hour no one knows, not even the Son of Man", so only God knows. There's a billboard advertising this date on the way in to Chico from Paradise, with the usual "Christ is coming!" stuff and a website, I think it was wecanknow.org or .com, one of the two. Some people...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-