Star Wars Sim OOC Discussion Thread

Moderator: BigJKU316

BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Star Wars Sim OOC Discussion Thread

Post by BigJKU316 »

Ok, having seen who is still in I think we are going to continue but I will be emailing everyone regarding our future and we will go from there once we all decide what to do.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

{ahem} What news have you?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Honestly, I was just enjoying some time off from the grind of this. I still intend to restart, I just have to work up the motivation to figure out how to reshuffle the map and get everything moved to where it needs to go.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Ok boys and girls, here is what I am considering.

The SW thing is just not viable with as few players as we have. By its nature it is set up so that advancing on a home-system is very tough. With only 5 or 6 players on the map the web of defenses will be too tough to crack.

What I would like to do is revisit Alpha but I want to change a few things and restart it from a clean basis. If people are interested let me know. I have talked to a few players regarding this and know there is some interest.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Change what and do you mean start the whole thing over again???
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd be down for a rego of Alpha, from the get go instead of a bolt on this time. I will probably have a bit more commitment to it if I've got a vested interest in the franchise.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Start over as in start over.

As opposed to continuing it on which would involve me wiping the rest of you out in short order.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I'd be interested in joining a rego of Alpha if there's space.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'm in of course.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

By starting over I mean starting over. Some of the economic and ship design things I want to change because they just did not work out as I thought they would. I want to change the ship cost to reflect capability rather than just size. I want to muck with the map a bit as well to make things more fair if less true to cannon (ie move capitol worlds away from right on top of ones border).

People for the most part seem to want more even power distribution so that would be part of things as well.

But the most major change would be ship build and upkeep cost. As it stands a Defiant cost half as much as an Intrepid which makes little sense really. Working on the SW sheet had a different cost structure where material cost is driven by size but the cash cost is driven by capability. This should lead to a more interesting mix of ships. Lower cost/capability patrol ships would make sense suddenly.

There would be a few other tweaks designed to make the game just more enjoyable and less of a drain on players and admin as well.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Crap, so I finally rebuild an now I have to do it all over again???

That just sucks...
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Yeah, looking back through Alpha the main issue was one of not having there be enough cost for high end warships, both to build and maintain. This allowed people to spin up capabilities far to quickly, particularly when they obtained new technology and to do so at little to no cost. I need to mess with it for a bit and see what works.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I'm game for Alpha Mark II
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Things have come back together for me, and I would be in for a restart of Alpha (still not in for Wars though, the lack of background knowledge I have on Wars limits my interest unfortunately).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:
Start over as in start over.

As opposed to continuing it on which would involve me wiping the rest of you out in short order.
Yeah, the wankout killed the last few turns. Wouldn't have been so bad if you were on level with the rest of us. Though we could just reset back to the turn at the end of the Tiidan War and split the TD's power up between a pair or trio of factions. It would let Stitch return and let us bring in some other players if they wanted. That would even things out nicely.
stitch626 wrote:Things have come back together for me, and I would be in for a restart of Alpha (still not in for Wars though, the lack of background knowledge I have on Wars limits my interest unfortunately).
I lost interest in the SW Sim mostly for a lack of drama. There really wasn't any motive in the game play for me. I built an rather strong empire, I was safe behind allies, had a number of really good ship types... no where to go from there.