UE Maelstrom class combat carrier

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

UE Maelstrom class combat carrier

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Note: This is not a Trek ship, its one from my own personal universe.
I just thought I'd put this here so I wont have people complaining it doesn't fit with Trek. :)

United Earth Combat Carrier, Maelstrom class

Type: Battlecruiser/carrier hybrid

Unit Run: 2,459 ships currently in service.
49 have been lost in total
This class remains in production.

Commissioned: 2179 - present

Dimensions: Length: 1,231 metres long (not including forward sensor antennae)
Diameter: 431 metres
Decks: 407

Crew: 1,578

Armament: 12 Heavy pulse cannons (four located in fixed positions in prow)
24 Medium pulse cannons
30 flak cannons
20 missile launchers
20 point defence chain guns

Defence Systems: Four shield generators, located at different points throughout the ship.
19 cm armoured hull

Power generation: 1 Sotalon fusion reactor
4 backup nuclear fusion generators
32 power cells

Propulsion: 4 Sublight engines
20 manoeuvring thrusters
4 rift generators

Onboard craft: 48 Perseus fighters
24 Peregrine bombers
12 PZf-1 shuttles

Description: The Maelstrom class combat carrier is quickly becoming a favourite of the United Earth Stellar Navy. Its combination of hard-hitting firepower and attack craft complement allow it a flexibility unseen in the UESN until now, though some doubt the cost-effectiveness of this ship and believe it to be a perfect case of 'putting all your eggs in one basket'.

The ship itself is cylindrical in shape, with a rounded prow and four large sublight engines at the back. Two hanger pods are positioned on either side of main body of the ship. These pods are more rectangular in shape, and contain the ship's complement of fighters, bombers and shuttles as well as pilot barracks and repair bays. The pods are connected to the main ship by three large pylons, allowing the transfer of personnel and equipment.

Four of the ships heavy turrets are in fixed positions in the prow of the ship, presenting a formidable amount of firepower to anyone approaching head-on to the ship. The other eight turrets are positioned strategically around the ship, each one protected by four flack turrets to prevent hostile bombers picking the turrets off.
The ships medium weapons are deployed in six batteries of four, each battery protected by four flack guns. Each heavy turret, and each battery of medium turrets can be operated in several ways.
Each gun can be controlled independently via a computer from the bridge, CIC, or fire control.
The ship's computer can also take control of these weapons to allow for pin-point targeting, and faster than human reflexes. All flack turrets and chain guns are controlled by the computer as standard due to its faster reflexes, though each turret has a human operator.
Alternatively, the turrets can be manned by a crew, operating in batteries commanded by a Gunnery Captain.
Each heavy turret and each battery of medium turrets also has their own power cell, to allow them to continue functioning in the event of a total failure of the main reactor and the backup generators.

As with most UE ships the ship flies 'up' from the point of view of the crew, this design has been compared to 'a flying skyscraper' and mostly fits with that description. That is, the prow of the ship would be 'above' the heads of the crew, similar to the roof of a building. The engines would therefore be located 'below' the crew. Other races often find this design ridiculous, and disorientating when they first set foot on such a vessel. The Dacin in particular seem to find such a design a source of amusement, and are the creators of the 'flying skyscraper' analogy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone (can't remember who) asked me whether I had specs of the Intrepid, a ship of this class, and whether I was planning on posting them. Since this ship will be the main vessel seen throughout the story, I decided I might as well throw the design out there to see what people think.
Hopefully, I got the basic design idea across. I'd have done a rough sketch, but I simply ended up reminding myself how badly I suck at drawing. So you'll just have to use your imagination. Basicaly, think of an airship for the general shape....with guns, armour, engines, hangers, etc.
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sounds good - it's interesting to have a ship that has the decks orientated at right angles to the direction of travel. The only other time I've encountered such an arragement is in the Seafort books.

I assume the hangar pod arrangement is inspired by BSG.

What exactly is a "Nosotom fission reactor "? I assume it isn't modern nuclear fission, since it has fusion reactors as backups.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sounds good - it's interesting to have a ship that has the decks orientated at right angles to the direction of travel. The only other time I've encountered such an arragement is in the Seafort books.
Thanks. :)
I was trying to make it seem different to other sci-fi universes, hence the unusual arangement.
I assume the hangar pod arrangement is inspired by BSG.
Yep, that and a few other things gave me the idea of putting hanger pods on the ship.
What exactly is a "Nosotom fission reactor "? I assume it isn't modern nuclear fission, since it has fusion reactors as backups.
A goof on my part. Nosotom was originaly a made-up fuel for the ships, to explain away how they got their power. When I was writing up the tech essay on the UE, I changed the name again by accident to 'Sotalon'.
Simply put, its just a made up fuel.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Reading that description just makes me want to draw it.... :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Glad you like it. :)
And feel free to, its not like I ever will...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

How's this? Obviously this is extremely basic, just block shapes. I'm thinking of the basic proportions, location of engines and hangars, that kind of thing.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Cool. That's pretty much the basic shape of it. Thanks. :)

How do you make those, by the way?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Photoshop.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, okay. Just wonderin'.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Nice design.
Nuclear fusion is more powerful than fission, though, so I'd have expected fusion to be the main generator.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thanks. :)

And your point is true, but it ain't nuclear. Whatever this stuff is, it might get more energy through fission than fusion.

Or is that completely stupid?
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Nice design.
Nuclear fusion is more powerful than fission, though, so I'd have expected fusion to be the main generator.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

My internet is absolute fcuked. I get disconnected ever minute or so for about 10 minutes. It's increadibly, increadibly stressing and annoying. Especially as you click 'submit'.

Anyway, to be honest, I didn't realise there was any other fission than nuclear fission. Although... Some sort of quark reaction where instead of breaking apart the atom, it breaks apart the protons/neutrons could with some technobabble work - the strong force at extremely close distances (ie quark distances) is extremely strong - harnessing this energy would assumedly be increadibly powerful.

And as I'm making this post - guess what - internet disconnects three times.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Um.....I understood about zero percent of that. :lol:
Er, I think I'll just go and change it to 'fusion'. :)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

My sympathies on your ISP, Thorin.

Rochey - in non-scientist language, what Thorin was saying is that when we use the terms "fission" or "fusion," it implies "nuclear" because there is no other kind that we know of - but he described a sub-nuclear process which you could slot in if you wanted to keep the terminology.

And when you said "flying skyscraper," I couldn't help bu thinking of the Hitchhiker's Guide office buildings being physically transported to Frogstar.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer