Season of the Witch

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Season of the Witch

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

I went to see that movie yesterday. I wasn't expecting much, but I had quite a lot of fun in seeing it. The atmosphere depicted in that movie is exactly the kind of general feeling I'd try to create in any Warhammer Fantasy game: harsh basic medieval setting with just a tad of surnatural, all mixed and mingle in religious terror and guidance.

Nicolas Cage was... okay. His main buddy (played by an actor I just can't remember the name; the actor played Hellboy) was perfect for the protagonist' main friend and competent comic relief. I REALLY liked the fact that they didn't killed him just to inspire Cage for revenge.

The main antagonist was... creepy. I really liked it.

Ultimately, a fun movie that I probably won't go watch again, but I don't regret the money I spent on.

There is one thing that bugs me, however. It's not movie-specific, it's more of a general feeling when the classic trope comes up in tales and movies: the ritual meant to banish witches. Apparently, you have to read up the words exactly as they have been written, in latin. The book is named "The Key of Solomon". What I wonder is:

- Who came up with that ritual? Was there someone holding down a witch with a priest trying all the word combination possible? Who wrote that ritual? Who decided that "X is the best thing to do to banish a witch"?
- Why in Latin? Have the romans much experience in banishing witches and other surnatural entities? Was the book of ancient knowledge that the church translated? If so, why are the words working in Latin if they were meant to work in the original language? (if it had been written by Solomon, wouldn't it be in Hebrew?).

I know, these tropes usually come up in classic medieval-era tales, and the usual wisdom is "don't think too much about it". It's still something that bugs me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Season of the Witch

Post by Mikey »

#1 - Ron Perlman.

#2 - Latin is the ecclesiastical language of the Catholic Church, which is traditionally the only church to codify rituals for exorcisms, etc.; it is also the church which published the Malleus Maleficarum. On a more mundane note, it is also the most familiar dead language to Western audiences, giving it an air of antiquity.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

No, I understand why it's Latin depicted in the stories involved, for the very reason you just mentionned.

I just have a hard time understanding, if you accept that "Latin is the Sacred Language", how they came up with the rituals in the first place. I doubt the scientific methodology was applied.

"Okay... we need two witches, and some non-witches as reference group in order to test the effectiveness of our new Exorcism Ritual"

Or were the rituals pulled out of someone's arse?
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Do it the old fashioned way, "okay, try this......didn't work, okay then try this." There was a way to find things out before the scientific method came along.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Or were the rituals pulled out of someone's arse?
Well, of course they were. If you accept the fact of demonology, possession, and magick, then why should it be any less easy to accept the knowledge of incantations used in the protocols of same?
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Most of the time when I've seen someone try to explain it they either go with someone being possessed and coming back with first hand recon, or someone who studied the dark arts too much, talked to one too many demons and learned their secrets. No real explanation why a demon would tell you how to banish it though.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:Most of the time when I've seen someone try to explain it they either go with someone being possessed and coming back with first hand recon, or someone who studied the dark arts too much, talked to one too many demons and learned their secrets. No real explanation why a demon would tell you how to banish it though.
Or how the Church came into possession (pun intended) of the book. Or why the Church would trust these arcane knowledge to use against demons.

I guess the alternative is that some Saints have received instruction from the Heavens about how to banish these foes. Or maybe the fact that the Saints wrote the ritual makes it true? (Clap your hands if you believe, anyone?)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:No real explanation why a demon would tell you how to banish it though.
Obviously for the same reason that the bad guy explains in detail the inner workings of his scheme to James Bond.
Tyyr wrote:someone being possessed and coming back with first hand recon
So, either the Illuminati or the Exorcists chapter?
SolkaTruesilver wrote:Or why the Church would trust these arcane knowledge to use against demons.
The Church would be considered, by both itself and the laity, as the authority and front-line in combatting demons, possession, et. al.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Here's a mindbender for you. If the witch didn't understand latin.....would it still work?

Also, if you had a Jewish Vampire, would a cross hold him at bay, or would you need a Star of David?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Also, if you had a Jewish Vampire, would a cross hold him at bay, or would you need a Star of David?
:lol:

I've wondered that one before myself.

What happens when you run into an atheist vampire? :worried:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Throw the chemical formula for lead at him?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:Here's a mindbender for you. If the witch didn't understand latin.....would it still work?

Also, if you had a Jewish Vampire, would a cross hold him at bay, or would you need a Star of David?
svet gornisht helfen.

Jewish men can't become vampires. Their mothers won't let them.
atheist vampire
You still hold up a cross. It won't stop them per se, but it will cause them to begin an interminable debate instead of attacking.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

That gets a double

:laughroll:

:laughroll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Going to see it Thursday with my girlfriend. It looks like a decent film -- or at least not nearly as bad as the dreck Hollywood often produces.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."