Just how advanced are the Asgard?

USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Just how advanced are the Asgard?

Post by USSEnterprise »

I've been watching a bit of SG-1 and the Asgard are probably my favorite race in the series, they just seem so badass. Just how advanced are they? Every time something pops up they seem to pull some crazy piece of tech out of their ass.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Just how advanced are the Asgard?

Post by Tyyr »

As advanced as the plot needs them to be.

They're likely just below Ancient level of technology prior to their ascension.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Really? I'd put them right on par with the Ancients had the Ancients not acended.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Really? I'd put them right on par with the Ancients had the Ancients not acended.
They're probably quite a way above the pre-ascension Ancients, given the way Asgard-upgraded 304s ripped through the Asurans (who to all intents and purposes were Ancients technologically-speaking).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I was always under the impression that Asuran technologies were simply facsimiles in their makers image, and not quite as capable.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:I was always under the impression that Asuran technologies were simply facsimiles in their makers image, and not quite as capable.
What would give you that idea? There's certainly no indication that Asuran technology is weaker than that of the original Ancients, and every indication (especially the general reaction to their city-ships, drones and ZPMs) that they're every bit as capable and dangerous.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have absolutely no idea, I just felt they weren't as capable. :roll:

Indeed true.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I would think that overall they are right about on par with the pre-ascended ancients.

the Asguard Weapons are more advanced than Ancient ones, but shields and engines are about on par overall, although I will give the edge to the Asguard because of the fact that they were able to mount those shield and engines onto a 304 as opposed to the Ancients City-Ship.

I can't difinitively support it, but Atlantis also made it seem to me that the Ancients were much more advanced in a broad range of sciences. Where as the Asguard aren't. They've eclipsed the Ancients in cloning/medical technology, and weapons technology for sure, maybe some others, but I just don't think they've gotten to the same level as the Ancients. I'll point out the obvious with this, the Ancients Ascended, the Asguard did not so the Ancients are still more advanced in at least one way.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Asgard uprated Earth ships were able to take on Ori ships weren't they? Given that Ori ships were designed by ascended beings, then if anything Asgard technology should be even better than Ancient tech, I'd think.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Yeah, but Ori tech seemed like it got stunted somewhere along the lines.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:Yeah, but Ori tech seemed like it got stunted somewhere along the lines.
Where do you get that from? Not only were they able to go through Hat'aks and pre-upgrade 304s like a hot knife through butter, but they could do the same to some Asgard ships - there was a ship that looked like a smaller version of the O'Neil class in the fleet that assembled to contest the Ori bridgehead. It's possible that the Odyssey's effectiveness in Unending was as much due to her ZPM as the Asgard upgrades.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Well like I had pointed out the Asguard Weapons were much more advanced than the Ancients', and the Ori were probably less sophisticated than the ancients, they 'hated' science. But the Asguard didn't ever seem like they ever matched the Ancients in the vastness of their knowledge and advancement across a variety of fields.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mark wrote:Yeah, but Ori tech seemed like it got stunted somewhere along the lines.
Where do you get that from? Not only were they able to go through Hat'aks and pre-upgrade 304s like a hot knife through butter, but they could do the same to some Asgard ships - there was a ship that looked like a smaller version of the O'Neil class in the fleet that assembled to contest the Ori bridgehead. It's possible that the Odyssey's effectiveness in Unending was as much due to her ZPM as the Asgard upgrades.
I'm comparing the Ori to the Ancients. We've seen nothing to indicate the Ori could equel the Ancients in say the construction of Atlantis. And your reference to the ZedPM makes my point for me.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

My Stargate knowlage is a bit sketchy, but the until the point where the Ancients leave their home galaxy they were part of the same species as the Ori correct? Is there any information of their tech level at that time?
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

USSEnterprise wrote: Just how advanced are they?
So the general consensus is "very"? :)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!