Microsoft Office

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Microsoft Office

Post by Mark »

I've got my newer laptop, that runs windows 7. Its got a trial version of the newest office (word or excel) but I don't wanna buy another program. I have my copy of 2003 office that I've always used, but it won't load on my laptop. Ian, Nick..........is there a way to make it work????
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Microsoft Office

Post by Nickswitz »

What do you mean by it won't work? As in it won't install? it won't run?
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Use OpenOffice instead. It is free.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Mark wrote:I've got my newer laptop, that runs windows 7. Its got a trial version of the newest office (word or excel) but I don't wanna buy another program. I have my copy of 2003 office that I've always used, but it won't load on my laptop. Ian, Nick..........is there a way to make it work????

it could be that you don't have enough lisences for this version to install it on another machine.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Lt. Staplic wrote:
Mark wrote:I've got my newer laptop, that runs windows 7. Its got a trial version of the newest office (word or excel) but I don't wanna buy another program. I have my copy of 2003 office that I've always used, but it won't load on my laptop. Ian, Nick..........is there a way to make it work????

it could be that you don't have enough lisences for this version to install it on another machine.
2003 didn't have that safeguard, 2007 is the only one that verifies with the server.
The world ended

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Something about "elevation", or some such
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

First uninstall Office 2007, and then restart the computer, and then try to install the 2003 version. Let me know how that works out, and make sure you right click and click "run as administrator"
The world ended

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Something about "elevation", or some such
What does how high you are have to do with it?

...hmm.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm... MS' new anthem?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Nickswitz wrote:First uninstall Office 2007, and then restart the computer, and then try to install the 2003 version. Let me know how that works out, and make sure you right click and click "run as administrator"

Okie dokie..I'll try that when I get home.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I don't get the point of Office 07. If you are new to office it doesn't matter much which version you have since you have learn to use the programm anyhow. If you knew 03 all they did was pushing the buttons around so that even if you are very familiar with it you spend the next couple of hours searching all the options you had readily at your disposal....... . Oh I am sure in the background the programme is safer, faster blablabla but interface-wise...stop hiding and randomly pushing the functions around damnit.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Atekimogus wrote:I don't get the point of Office 07. If you are new to office it doesn't matter much which version you have since you have learn to use the programm anyhow. If you knew 03 all they did was pushing the buttons around so that even if you are very familiar with it you spend the next couple of hours searching all the options you had readily at your disposal....... . Oh I am sure in the background the programme is safer, faster blablabla but interface-wise...stop hiding and randomly pushing the functions around damnit.
Interfaces change...I rather like the ribbon interface myself. I find it quite a bit easier to use. Staying the course and not innovating is never a good thing.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I have to agree. Across all of the office platforms, I find the new ribbon interface easier to use once learned. However, the newest version is just ugly and has almost new benefit over the old one. APART FROM the ability to save in open office documents.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, I personally enjoy the ribbon, it makes it so you can see the options, and yeah, for older users it may be difficult to get used to, but it's really a lot easier to have a lot more things available to change rather than having to have "toolbars" on the top that are annoying, with the toolbar you have a lot more readily changeable options which I like a lot, it makes editing docs much faster.

And I agree 2010 is virtually useless if you have 2007, there is no real extra use that I've seen in it.
The world ended

USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Nickswitz wrote:Yeah, I personally enjoy the ribbon, it makes it so you can see the options, and yeah, for older users it may be difficult to get used to, but it's really a lot easier to have a lot more things available to change rather than having to have "toolbars" on the top that are annoying, with the toolbar you have a lot more readily changeable options which I like a lot, it makes editing docs much faster.

And I agree 2010 is virtually useless if you have 2007, there is no real extra use that I've seen in it.
I think 2010 has more cloud support from what I've heard. Not really important at the personal level, but I imagine it's useful at the corporate one.