4 Star Admiral

Proposed Starship Specs

Post by Mark »

Daedalus Class Starship

Affiliation : Federation

Type : Cruiser (State of the Art)

Unit Run :
USS Daedalus
and only a handful of others (remember the timeline)

Commissioned : 2158

Dimensions :
Length : 121 m
Beam : 48 m
Height : 40 m
Decks : 10
Mass : 72,000 metric tons
Crew : 229

Armament :
4 x Laser cannon, total output 1,000 TeraWatts
4 x Photonic Torpedo launchers, 80 round capacity

Defense Systems :

Standard shield system, total capacity 40,500 TeraJoules
Standard Monotanium Single hull.
Low level Structural Integrity Field

Warp Speeds
(TOS scale) :
Normal Cruise : 5
Maximum Cruise : 5.5
Maximum Rated : 6 for 12 hours.

Strength Indices :
(Galaxy class = 1,000)
Beam Firepower : 20
Torpedo Firepower : 40
Weapon Range and Accuracy : 50
Shield Strength : 15
Hull Armour : 1.25
Speed : 112.783
Combat Maneuverability : 11,490
Overall Strength Index : 54.71

Diplomatic Capability : 3

Expected Hull Life : 30

Refit Cycle : Minor : 1 year
Standard : 1 years
Major : 10 years
I've made a couple of proposed adjustments here. The Daedalus class is the agreed upon next gen starship for the Enterprise era. The DITL main page has a couple of things that just don't make sense in lieu of the fact we've seen the NX class upgraded. I've enhanced the ships torpedo compliment to four photonic tubes rather than two spatial tubes. If this is the new "ship of the line" it stands to reason that Starfleet would give her its most advanced weapons systems. I've also tweaked the warp speed scale a bit. Since the NX-01s engines were upgraded, and in the final episode we hear they are just completing work on the first warp 7 engine, I feel the warp 6 engine not unreasonable, as we generally see in that time period that bigger is still faster, yet it is still mostly in line with the era's tech.

Thoughts?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Proposed Starship Specs

Post by Mikey »

I played around with this a little; I agree we should keep the lasers as is. They are more powerful than the plasma weapons, and according to 'Trek are the latest Earth/Fed weapons before the advent of phasers. I agree with adding the photonic torps, and changing the warp stats - I figured a direct scale-up of the NX warp, giving a normal cruise of 4.5, max cruise of 5, and max top end of 5.6. The only thing of which I'm not sure is how many tubes it would be feasible to add, other than the two tubes which the Daedalus already has.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:I played around with this a little; I agree we should keep the lasers as is. They are more powerful than the plasma weapons, and according to 'Trek are the latest Earth/Fed weapons before the advent of phasers. I agree with adding the photonic torps, and changing the warp stats - I figured a direct scale-up of the NX warp, giving a normal cruise of 4.5, max cruise of 5, and max top end of 5.6. The only thing of which I'm not sure is how many tubes it would be feasible to add, other than the two tubes which the Daedalus already has.
I always assumed from TatV that the Warp 7 engine was the Daedalus, but then I'm not sure of the timing regarding that episode and the Daedalus class. Perhaps add 4 torpedo tubes to the 2 already there, 4 forward, 2 aft?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think adding 4 may bit a little overkill. I think adding two or three, if any, is enough.

If we go with the Daedalus-class being the warp-7 ship, that would give us (according to the same scaling as the NX) normal cruise: 5.7; maximum cruise 6.3; and max warp 7. I imagine that max cruise would be available for a matter of hours.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd say something like normal cruise is sustainable, maximum cruise is for 36 hours, and maximum warp is 12 hours.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But does the time line work out? The Earth/Romulan was supposed to be set in 2156 or 57. Our loss of the Buran could easily be part of the imitation of that war. Thus the Daedalus class is launched in 2158 which makes sense as well. But in Enterprise final episode in 2161, the warp seven just coming into production.

Also, I put us at four tubes for a couple of reasons. The DITL specs only have two for the Daedalus class. The original NX has 2 as well. Yet the uprated one has five, so I'm imagining they can't be overwhelming to install. With Starfleet mindset, they seem to like everything equally fore and aft, so I figure two fore and two aft would be about right, possibly setting the precedent for the Connie class
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

OK, so we go with four tubes, and if we double the DITL magazines we get 48 photonic torps. We could probably feasibly carry about 30 - 36 spatial torps in reserve as well. Mark's right about the timeline: the Earth-Romulan War supposedly ended after the Battle of Cheron in 2161 (IIRC,) before or contemporaneously with the Warp 7 ship. Considering that, I think a warp range of 4.5/5/5.6 or thereabouts works. Not too much higher than the current models, but able to sustain Warp 5 for a while whereas the previous generation could only hold that briefly.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So I just went to the starship strength calc; if I leave the Daedalus-class alone save for the warp top end I just described and changing the two spatial tubes to four photonics, I get a starship strength of 53.27. This compares better to the early Rommie BoP strength of 56, which in turn is mostly based on their torp firepower.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So the Daedalus class would be a one on one match. Makes sense if the class was fielded to specifically fight the Romulans.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Also makes sense why the Romulans almost always traveled in pairs or triplets.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I thought it would match the course of the war. I see it as Earth keeping pace the way the Americans or Russians did in WWII; they weren't quite a match for the Germans technologically, if they were close; but those T-series and Shermans just kept getting built. So too would be the early ship classes of Earth; no match for a Romulan ship technically, but they just keep making more. Finally, along comes a ship that can go toe-to-toe with a BoP. The Daedalus has the advantage in beam weapons and the presence of shields, but the Romulan torp tech is far superior. A few of these enter the war, and over time and along with some assistance from Tellar, Andor, and Vulcan... *poof* the Battle of Cheron.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And after the formation of the Federation, the tech is all combined, and suddenly the "great leap forward" that puts the UFP ahead of the game 8)