Shall we get the ball rolling?

How should the Daystrom RP proceed from here?

Pick up right where we left off.
10%
Consider the current mission complete, but continue with the Dominion/GQ activity.
50%
Start fresh in a brand-new situation.
20%
By all that's unholy, will you just shut up and let this thing die?
20%

Total votes: 10
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Shall we get the ball rolling?

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'm thinking I'd like to keep Seth, and after the Gamma Mission make him an official tactical officer. Tell me what ship I should put him on and I'll update his stats....although I would prefer to have him on the Galaxy, since I'm assuming that's where the Marines would be as well.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

We could probably house the marine detachment on any ship larger than an Oberth. Be that as it may, I've got an opening for tac but I don't know if the Daystrom is going to be the marines' billet.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I kind of like the idea of the Ravage having the sensor pod, I think the crew would appreciate some good old fashioned exploring.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I don't mind taking on a CO/XO posting on a Norway. I can see an Olympic on station as well, which I'd gladly take on.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Crud... I'm having trouble coming up with characters...

My problem is, I can play anything (almost) but can't come up with much.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey's right, about the Defiants. Ok, we'll do the Ravage with the sensor pod, tricked out as a science ship. Thoughts about the GCS? And as for an Olympic class......I'm iffy on ships THAT role specific. I don't see how a hospital ship would fit in on the frontier, when we have a full Starbase right there. Hospital ships strike me more as a "just behind the front" sort of ship, and we're not going into a warzone.

Nova's and Oberth's are ok. Colonial ships too maybe.

Staplic, our wonderful Xindi security officer may be transferred to a different ship. I honestly don't the Valkerye (Intrepid Class) played an overly large part of the last one. If you want to keep it, that's ok.....but I think a GCS would fit better, honestly.

Also, an addendum. I'd prefer that nobody have more than two characters on the same ship. So that way the role playing is divided up a bit more. All the old RP rules will stand, about superheroes, convoluted stuff (ie founders in disguise) or secret "characters" (unless cleared by both me AND Mikey in advance), and so forth.

The only real rule change will be......you CAN post for two different characters without the two posting rule coming in effect. For example, I can post for Lt. Cmdr. Mark, THEN post for Comm. Sinclair......BUT I can't re-post again for either without two different players posting first. (Did that make sense? :confused: )

There will be a time limit though. If nobody has posted for seven full days since your last posting, feel free to post again. Hopefully, that'll balance out if say, I'm having writers block but Sonic or Stitch is feeling creative, and maybe jumpstart other people.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I was thinking the Valkyrie would get destroyed....

and ya I want to keep Corrin and Seth together b/c I kinda started those two bonding in the last one and now the whole issue with Seath's former carreer in Black Operations against James currently getting into Black Ops should be an interesting dynamic.

You tell me what ship the Marines will be on and that's where I'd want to have Seth stationed as Tac officer.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, I'm thinking an Uprated GCS modified as a troop carrier. Especially if the saucer is modified to relaunch after planet fall. Conceivably it could clear an area, land, its troops and gear can dismount, and either leave, or be used as a mobile command area, while the stardrive provides coverage.

Thoughts?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Well, I'm thinking an Uprated GCS modified as a troop carrier. Especially if the saucer is modified to relaunch after planet fall. Conceivably it could clear an area, land, its troops and gear can dismount, and either leave, or be used as a mobile command area, while the stardrive provides coverage.

Thoughts?
Interesting idea. I wonder how much alteration it would take to let the saucer land safely? In Generations the impulse engines were offline, IIRC.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

With functional impulse engines, landing thrusters, and retractable "legs" like the Intrepid class has, I'd imagine it rather easy.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'd imagine that it would work in a way similar to the Intrepid-class' system as seen in VOY: "Demons" (IIRC the right episode.) It would probably be pretty dicey in a hot LZ, though - the legs appeared to be for show or added stability, rather than actually supporting the ship which job would probably be done by AG generators, and the SIF and internal AG would have to be able to function at peak efficiency.

So, we're looking at the Paladin of course; the Daystrom, which could be rationalized on this type of mission because it houses three runabouts and the Tigerfish for auxiliary exploration; and the Ravage which would make a plausible mapping/exploration ship with the sensor pod. Mark would like to include a GCS troop carrier. Anybody with any other holdovers from the last mission?

I guess to see what other ships are in the task group, we'll need to determine some things. What sort of "marine" detachment are we bringing - an invasion force, a spec-ops team, spotter/recon force, or what? The former seems unlikely for an exploration mission. Could the "marines" be housed in the Paladin, and if so would it have the "amphibious"/troop landing capability necessary?
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmm. I think this covers all the ships left from the gamma mission... could someone refresh my memory? IIRC, the Nova-class Pegasus was destroyed, and I don't recall the fate of the Intrepid-class Valkyrie.

BTW, Reliant - I like that idea for D'tyra if you don't want to bring her back commanding her own ship.
as Bull offed Custer
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

The Valkyrie "Survived" however it was the intention to have it go down fighting either in the base attack or while rescuing the Marines.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lt. Staplic wrote:The Valkyrie "Survived" however it was the intention to have it go down fighting either in the base attack or while rescuing the Marines.
So what we have above represents all the extant ships from the gamma mission... good. Looks workable.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

For ships I can rationalize along side the original colonization mission as well as science I can see:

Nova class: small, easy to maintain and cheap to produce, these things should be swarming the Federation and it only makes sense that a sophisticated exploration ship such as this is to be sent to this new "Reach" as I am going to name it for the sake of ease. The Nova has a small crew and probably even smaller upkeep requirements. In all honesty, I find it hard to believe a Nova wouldn't be assigned to the group.

Oberth class: Long in the tooth now. I can justify it for all the same reasons as the Nova, but I really think that all the Oberth's will have been mothballed, sold for private use or scrapped by now.

Norway: Again, very similar reasons. it has the added advantage of being that little bit larger and has an improved diplomatic capability.

Olympic: I really do think that the Olympic is a ship that would head colony operations in many ways. It's a hospital ship, so is perfect for operating in triage conditions for any colony problem going on. Graham's write up has it capable of holding 1,000 patients, well idealistically it can do 1,000 colonists with little issue. It's also got a large number of shuttle bays which would make transferring people from orbit to the ground ideal.