From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

New Batman Movie Gets Name

Post by BigJKU316 »

http://movies.ign.com/articles/113/1130726p1.html

Glad they are not doing the Riddler. Don't think that would work well. Not sure who does though. It is hard to follow the Joker. I could see doing some variation of the Penguin (not so slapstick) where he ends up in charge of the city or a portion of it as a politician and blames Batman for his criminal activities. Might work.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: New Batman Movie Gets Name

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I wonder who they'll end up going with? Talia Al Ghul, perhaps?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I don't know much about the Batman comics so I only know the baddies from the other movies and series. But it seems to me that the obvious choice is Catwoman, isn't it?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I honestly hope they don't go with cat woman, she's like a throwaway baddie, either throw her in from the start, or don't go with her at all is the way I think, because she should either be present throughout, or not be present because of her role in the comics. I entirely hate when batman series just use cat woman because they are too lazy to find a good villain.

That's just my opinion of course, Incant stand overused villains, such as cat woman, or doctor octavious in Spider man, neither of them are severly important, people just think they are cool so the director throws them in there.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tommy Monaghan should be the new bad guy. Super cookie if you know who I'm talking about.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I don't think Catwoman should be placed into the usual, "Bad guy" theme for Batman. She should instead be an ongoing issue for him.

I'd consider this next movie a perfect time to introduce her as a third party between Batman and whoever the real villain will be.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

I'm glad that Nolan's not getting involved in the 3D gimmick.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Tyyr wrote:I don't think Catwoman should be placed into the usual, "Bad guy" theme for Batman. She should instead be an ongoing issue for him.
Yeah, that's why I said something like the first one, but not the last of the series, which supposedly this one is going to be, so I think it would be a stupid time to put her in it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The problem is that they invented Rachel Dawes and that just fucked everything up.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I also think they wasted Raas al ghul in Batman Begins.

I'll be honest, I've only ever seen him in his Batman TAS incarnation - and in the excellent Batman: Under the Redhood. He's definitely my fave villain though.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tyyr wrote:The problem is that they invented Rachel Dawes and that just f***ed everything up.
I didn't love that portrayl but thought it played a valuable role in grounding Bruce as a character in the first two movies. The theme of both to some extent and the second in particular was that he really does not want to do this if he does not have to but can't see another option. She gives a vehicle for that sort of exposition that would not have existed with Catwoman. Unless you were just going to have him talk to Alfred about it you needed someone "normal" for him to interact with.

I love the way they have him interact with Alfred and don't think he could have played the role he played had he been the one Bruce was bearing his doubts and hopes to all the time.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I dunno. She served a purpose but aside from being a sounding board and damsel in distress did she really add anything to the pictures? You could have worked someone of import into that role. Hell, even Catwoman in her day job. It's a bit cliche but Bruce and... whatever her real name is are friends growing up. Bruce has his Begins breakdown and breaks it off with her to do the wandering Tibet thing. They meet up and the wallflower has bloomed into a much more confident an assertive woman. He starts doing the Batman thing. In Dark Knight you have her in a more take charge role in Dent's group. Then Dent is twisted, Batman blamed, and in the third movie you see her as Catwoman for the first time. She has a love/hate thing with Batman due to Dent's corruption. She decides to get his attention, does, plans to kill him for what he did to Dent. The moment gets there and she finds out that Batman is Bruce. Hell, maybe have her get the drop on him, knock him cold, and yank off the mask looking to expose him before she either kills him or turns him in. Finds out that its Bruce and that he never would have done that. She bolts. When she comes back its now the teasing/toying relationship between them. Resolve it or not during the third movie.

Just riffing on it.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

The police and public believe Batman is now the bad guy. So maybe the next one will introduce the mental and physical breaking of the Batman. Being hunted by the police and mourning over Rachel, this will be the time to introduce Bane to break the Batman physically. The Bane storyline requires a lot more than just Bane though.

Maybe an Azrael type character who is a hero without mercy and Batman is forced to deal with someone who is even more dogmatic about eradicating crime in Gotham than himself.
Lazar wrote:I'm glad that Nolan's not getting involved in the 3D gimmick.
Here, here.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If they did introduce Bane, I would hope they made him like in the original comics, and not the hulking mindless brute in that unmentionable Batman movie.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Catwoman would probably fit, merely for the fact that Batman now lacks a love interest. I know, it's a cheesy move that might not have any grounding in logic thinking, but this is Hollywood producers we're talking about. They'll want a love interest.

And... I think I like the idea of the Pinguin reinvented for the 3rd movie. Lemme explain:

In the first movie, the theme was about how crippled a society we live in, the question being if we should simply destroy it to build anew. I can't really mention about here in Quebec, but maybe it was a theme explored by some cities in the U.S., the idea of simply razing and rebuilding. In the real estate boom that they were experimenting, I think it might have been a recurring theme of many neighbourhood. Plus, you go with a society that wants to impose their will upon the world through fear. The movie was a little off, but still tried to embrace many contemporary themes.

The Dark Knight was about terrorism, the effect it has on us, and how far we are willing to go to stop it. It just struct home. The Joker was rampant with realism when it came to the chaos create, with the hand-held camera and the like. The scariest part was this quote:

"I like... gasoline. I like guns. And you know what's best about these things? They are cheap"

It's the man who wants to make us destroy the fabric of our own society. The ultimate anarcho-terrorist. Much moreso than half of the people tried at Guantanamo Bay.

So, what should the last movie be about? The Pinguin, rich billionnaire who can rival Bruce Wayne's money and sense of business. He takeover Wayne Industry, he destroys lives, jobs, IN PERFECT LEGALITY. It will appeal to the current crisis, where people have the feeling Wall Street oligarch are destroying the U.S. without ever having to pay for the consequences of their own actions, and simply get filthy rich in the process.