UCS Askad-Idibas

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

UCS Askad-Idibas

Post by Graham Kennedy »

By the 2900s, advances in Midspace technology allowed a new type of drive to be developed. Previous vessels had been hampered somewhat
by the requirement to have two synchronised fields with a hull in each; the design compromises this dictated hampered ship design since the
Swiftsure pioneered Midspace technology.

By the 2900s it had become possible to have a single hulled ship, leaving the forward drive field lobe empty. At a stroke this removed all need
to synchronise the fields or have any connection between them. The new ships based on this technology would have all systems integrated
within a single hull, simplifying the design process considerably.

The Turgran UCS Askad-Idibas was one of the first Navy vessels to incorporate the new design ethic. The hull, 2,652 metres long,
was contained within a single field lobe.

The Idibas was a state of the art vessel in her time. She incorporated a high degree of exotic materials; her hull armour was composed
of so called "trans-periodic" matter, as was the matter/antimatter mix she used for her weaponry. The former made her hull extremely
tough and durable, while the latter boosted the effectiveness of her weapons significantly. The jacketing on her AMP rounds also
allowed the energy released to be focused forward, further increasing their effectiveness. She was also the first ship to mount heavy AMP
cannon in triple turrets. She was also the first to carry rift generators which allowed cannon to fire rounds between normal space and
midspace. This vastly extended the range of the weapons by allowing them to travel at extremely high FTL velocity.

Indeed the new generation cannon were so long ranged that they threatened to render torpedoes obsolete. To overcome this
problem the Navy ordered a new type of heavy long range torpedo specifically for the Idibas class. These huge weapons - in
themselves almost 130 metres long - were more like miniature spacecraft than anything.

Idibas carried the largest fighter complement of any ship of her time, with forty launch catapults and three landing runways.

Most of the Idibas class were launched with IW prefixes; at first none formed part of the Turgran's contribution to the Coalition Navy.
This attitude was typical of both the Imperium and the Republic at the time; despite the early promise the Coalition Navy had become
largely symbolic by this time in history. That would change later in the century, however, with the re-organisation of the Navies which
would come with the Tain war.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That is a big ship. :shock:

Looking at the design, I notice that not only have triple turrets be introduced, but the design also introduces superfiring turrets. Was their any particular reason they weren't present on earlier ships, or was it just conicidence?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Not sure what you mean by "superfiring"... the midspace firing thing? If so then yeah, pretty much a coincidence.

The triple turrets are a tech advance, but not a particularly exotic one. How big you can make a turret is partly a function of how big your
ships is, but also these turrets are designed to fire over very long ranges, at targets moving at relativistic speeds. That means they have to
both be aimed very, very accurately and slew around very quickly. That's not easy with something hundreds of metres long massing hundreds
or thousands of tons!

It just happened with the Idibas that they were able to build turrets this big now.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Superfiring is when one turret is positioned directly aft of another as with the forward two upper turrets here, and thus (for RL warships) the lower turret would be hit by the blast of the upper. It turned out not to be much of a problem, but during the early Dreadnought era the Royal Navy was worried enough to avoid the arrangement, until it became essential to avoid stupidly long ships. I was wondering if the main guns of you designs had similar concerns (though not overpressure, obviously).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ahhh, I see.

I do consider stuff like that. My mental image of these guns firing is that there is some sort of "energy wash" akin to a muzzle flame...
no specific reason for that except that I think it would look hella-cool. I don't think I've ever seen an energy weapon that produced a muzzle
flash in sci-fi.

As for how much and how much of an issue that would be... well obviously they wouldn't build the thing this way if it couldn't fire it's guns! :)
So I guess I have to assume it's not a problem.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Interesting how as the tech advanced, the ships came to look more like WWII RL battleships... or perhaps Mr. Kennedy planned it that way?

To Seafort's question - an excellent one - I would guess, if Graham hasn't already had an answer in place, that the jacketing on the AMP rounds needs a few meters to coalesce, leading to a minimum range like that on a grenade launcher.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I want the next tech advaned to be two big robot arms on the side of it that swat around knocking enemy fighters out of space.

These things muct cost a huge amount of resourses. I wonder how a planet or even a small coalition of 3 or 4 planets can afford to build one even with space minning. At most they could build one which means a lot of R&D went into a ship they will only build one or two of.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Actually I *started* all this with one single ship... the latest generation, circa the year 3000. Then I worked backwards from there.

And um... a Coalition of three of four planets? Nope. Not by a long shot.

When the Turgrans wiped the Saravan out with Human help, both the victors divided up their worlds (most of which had a big Human slave
population on them). Humanity gained several tens of thousands of worlds right there and then. And this is three centuries after that.

For a sense of scale to the community these ships operate in, don't think "Star Trek". Think more like Asimov's Galactic Empire. The
Human/Turgran/Other Coalition is a relatively small player on that stage, compared to some - but we're still talking a territory thousands
of light years across containing huge numbers of people and planets. And their Navy often operates far beyond their own borders.

These ships are big for a reason. And for all that, they are toys compared to some of what's out there.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ha so you worked backwards not fowards? That must have been hard.

but didn't you say that the human empire split into a republic recently? Thats why I thought
every panet was fighting for themselves or in small groups.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

No, creating a Republic prevented the split.

I didn't go into a lot of detail, because it's only partly about the ship, but what happened was this...

The Emperor died. His younger son had the older son locked up and proclaimed insane, and took the throne. Technically legal... IF
it had been true. Which it wasn't.

Vanguard's captain, Malenkov, rumbled this and it didn't sit well with him. He found out where the older brother, Charles, was and raided the
planet to rescue him. The younger brother, Albert, denounces Malenkov as a renegade who can't accept the reality.

The Imperial Navy fleet splits, right down the middle. Cue civil war.

The forces loyal to Charles and Melenkov have a problem; lack of bases. Enter the planet Dietze. Dietze is an odd place. It's the most
heavily industrialised planet in the Empire, but also one of the most stubbornly bloody minded and independent. They had rebelled
several times before, trying to gain indepenence, and always been crushed - sometimes harshly so.

But they had the resources, so Malenkov convinced Charles to offer them independence in return for support for the fleet. They did.

When the war ended, Charles made good on his promise. And the rest of the planets who had supported Charles, having just spent
a few years being tromped on by their own military, didn't really see why they shouldn't get some freedom too. And then all the
planets that hadn't supported Charles started making the same noises.

Charles was all ready to use the fleet to quell this. But Malenkov just couldn't face it. He'd spent years fighting his own comrades,
and he just was not willing to turn his guns against the civilian populations. He led the Admiralty in declaring neutrality in the dispute.

End of the Human Empire. And it looked like Humanity would fragment... which Malenkov would have been just heartbroken by. He got
leaders of the various factions together and they wrote a brand new constitution full of civil rights and democracy and all that good
stuff. And so Humanity was saved.

The Republic they created was not much different to the Empire it replaced in terms of size (minus a few planets that glowed in the dark
after the civil war.) And it just kept on growing.

Imagine 30,000 planets full of people, some of whom want to go out exploring and settling. Give those people a few centuries.

That's what the Republic is in the year 3000.

Oh... and the Turgrans always outnumbered Humans in terms of planets.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ok I'm probably annoying you by now with all the qquestion but didnt you say that the
Humasn killed a rather large number of Turgrans in a genocide attack awhile back
and now there are not many left? Sure you can have lots of planets with few people
but it would stand to reason if not humans then someone would take them over. Also
with such a heavy hit to the population your technology advancement would slow
right down so they wouldnt be able to keep up with others.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

No no no, they killed the *Saravan*. Their former masters. Big old honkin genocide there.

They were plenty, plenty pissed with the Turgrans about the whole "false religion" thing, but no war there. Humanity was in no state to
go fighting them, if nothing else.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

On a more general note I am a little suprised Humans havent attack the other species that liberated them. Being someones slave race for a few hundred years might make you rather xenophobic.

Oh, they did. Very much so. It was actually one of the bigger genocide attempts known at the time; Not too many of the Saravan left
nowdays as a result. "present day" humans are somewhat ashamed of it.
Thats were I went wrong. The first quote was me asking if humans attacked the Turgrans and your answer says yes but your talking about the Saravans. All clear now :)

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ahhh, miscommunication there. Sorry.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I like it because it looks all business. A cool combination of future and current design.

However... I fully admit that I am not "up" with your designs and their specs and such, but the drive systems simply looks too small. Aesthetically (only) it just seems a little off.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...