Great Non-CGI Special Effects

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Great Non-CGI Special Effects

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The thread title explains itself, I'd say. I spent a couple of hours today watching Little Shop Of Horrors again. It's been absolutely ages since I've seen the movie, and the one thing I noticed more than anything else was how well the special effects in it held up. Despite it being 25 years old and using nothing but clever puppetry for the evil alien plant monster, it still looks bloody brilliant. Hell, I'd actually rate it as looking better than many of the CGI creatures we've seen in the last decade or so. In particular, Audrey II's final form (a giant puppet which supposedly weighed over a ton and required 60 people to operate properly), is one hell of an achievement to pull off with no computerised enhancements and still make it look good.

So what old non-CGI movies can you guys still watch today and think "that look's awesome"?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Great Non-CGI Special Effects

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:So what old non-CGI movies can you guys still watch today and think "that look's awesome"?
Waterloo :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The entirety of the space battle of Endor.

Star Trek II's space fights.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

The wireframes on the gliders screens in Escape from New York. All done with models.

And a couple by John Frankenheimer, my fave director. The Train - full of train crashes and exploding stations, nearly all done with actual trains as opposed to models. And Ronin, which with the exception of some very very crappy CGI tyre smoke had some very real looking car chases.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The entirety of the space battle of Endor.
Absolutely!
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Most anything by Ray Harryhausen.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Most anything by Ray Harryhausen.
Beat ne to it. Absolutely groundbreaking.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Would 2010 count?

Edit - Nope, Jupiter and the Monolith swarm was CGI'd. So was the pen that was knocked away.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Coalition wrote:Would 2010 count?

Edit - Nope, Jupiter and the Monolith swarm was CGI'd. So was the pen that was knocked away.
Also, whilst I loved the scene, that inflatable atmosphere brake looked atrocious :)
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Was watching a Harryhausen DVD recently and he said occasionally he had trouble with directors, because he had to tell them what to do a lot so as to make the effects he was going to put on work. One young director especially took this badly, and ended up threatening to fire Harryhausen. Ray looked at him in surprise and said "Well maybe you better go tell the producer that."

So the director steamed off and told the producer he was going to fire the special effects guy. The producer's response was "Fella, when this movie comes out it's going to have a big tag across the top saying 'A Ray Harryhausen Film!'" Now you can push the argument to the point where a firing happens if you like... but I can assure you that if that happens, Ray won't be the one who gets fired." :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Alien and Aliens. I love those movies, and the special effects were (and still are) great.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The Dark Crystal. A few slip-ups here and there, but overall... :shock: 8)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Totally nominating John Carpenter's The Thing.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The Dark Crystal. A few slip-ups here and there, but overall... :shock: 8)
Agreed., and hell, just about anything by the Jim Henson creature shop. They can do things with everyday household objects that'll make you gap in awe.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Another spectacular scene - these days this (2:15 in particular) would be all CGI.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.