HMS Vanguard

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

HMS Vanguard

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Launched in 2857, HMS Vanguard represented the apex of the multi-hulled midspace ship design ethic. She incorporated many advances
over earlier designs; the first operational ship whose midspace drive was fitted with an emission control and attenuation (ECA) system,
Vanguard radiated less than one thousandth the radiation of previous engine designs. This allowed the midspace shunts to be brought
into the main body of the ship for the first time, allowing a more compact and survivable configuration. It also made the Vanguard all but
impossible to detect on the passive detection equipment which is the primary midspace combat sensor.

The rift generator which allowed the ship to transit between midspace and normal space was capable of twelve transitions on a full charge,
and could be charged in as little as three hours. This allowed Vanguard to transit in and out of midspace more or less at will, allowing
her to conduct sustained attacks on an enemy for days on end.

She was also the first ship to carry jacketed AMP cannon, allowing her to fire antimatter/matter rounds at FTL speeds. Although accuracy
constraints meant that these weapons were only useful at virtually point blank range by the standards of a modern vessel, they still
represented an increase in range of more than fivefold over the non-jacketed AMP weapons of the time.

Although it gained little attention at the time, Vanguard incorporated one other important advance; the most advanced inertial
navigation system ever fielded. Since midspace contains no fixed points of reference it was impossible to determine the location
of a ship by any means other than inertial navigation. Periodic transitions into normal space for a navigational update had been
required in ships like the Iowa and Amzarg - and with rift generators taking many hours to charge, this was no small delay.
Vanguard was able to keep an accurate position fix for days on end, and with her ability to rapidly transition into normal space
and back, navigation became virtually a non-issue.

This lead ship of the class had a remarkable history; under then Captain Malenkov she freed Charles II from Heliopolis after he
was imprisoned there by his brother, causing the breakaway of the Secessionist faction of the Imperial Fleet and initiating
the Human Civil War. She acted as flagship of the Secessionist fleet throughout the war, fighting in more engagements than
any other ship. Once Charles was restored to the throne and the Empire began to collapse in the aftermath of the war,
Admiral Malenkov led the senior officers of the newly united Navy in signing of the Declaration of Neutrality on board
Vanguard, a move which prevented a second civil war but ensured the total collapse of the Empire. Malenkov was instrumental
in drafting the constitution of the Republic which held the bulk of the ex-Imperial worlds together; if not for his efforts, the
worlds of Humanity may well have splintered.

When the Republic and Turgran Imperium signed the Articles of Coalition in 2906, one of the provisions of that treaty created a
permanent Coalition Navy. Although little more than a token force intended to demonstrate unity, the Republic President shocked all
commentators by assigning the Vanguard to the new Navy. Although not considered to be a frontline unit by now, the presence of
a ship of such immense prestige gave an added gravitas to the new Coalition Navy, making it clear that it would be a force to
be reckoned with.

Vanguard was docked for the last time in 2908 after fifty one years of service. She officially retains her commission today, one
hundred and forty three years after first being granted it, making her the oldest ship in the Coalition navy. She serves as a museum
ship.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Bwaahaha those guns are massive. Although the fact that they can only be used at closr range is a worry. they deliver a lot of power and if the ship gets destroyed while its close by it could get splash back damage.

It is by far the nicest looking ship so far with the curved hull and almost total intergration.

The beginging of the republic with its navy seems similar to the way starfleet started with pledged ships.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Short is a relative term.

A ship with cruise missiles that have a 750 mile range is not unusual today. Compared to that the real world Iowa's 16 inch guns were point
blank weapons with their 20 or 30 mile range.

But those guns did the job very handily, in their day, because they equalled or exceeded most everything else around.

For unguided weapons like canon, in my universe ranges are mostly limited by travel time. If your target is more than a
second or so away and it's small and able to maneuver, then chances are it can screw up your targeting enough that you'll miss.

With lightspeed weapons, that gives you a 1 light second range. But if you can jacket the beam and make it go at multiples of c,
your range extends in line with that.

Vanguard's cannon fire matter and antimatter streams at about 5 xc, so range is around 5 light seconds.

One of the big advantages of later ships will be the ability to both squirt waaaaaay more antimatter from these guns and do
so at greatly higher speeds, giving greatly longer ranges.

Oh, and when you get advanced enough the jacketing can do fun things like focus the detonation at the target, too.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I like it. That ship just exudes that feeling that someone, somewhere, is about to have a very bad day. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Since the weapon fires at faster than light speed does the energy in the attack come from the anti matter the kenetic energy of it hitting or both?

Also how does it fire at faster than light? I understand your ships engines use a form or space bending but what about the weapons?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The sail ships work by bending space - I hesitate to use the word "warping" for obvious reasons, but it basically
works that way.

Midspace drive is a different kettle of fish. It's akin to babylon 5's hyperspace. Midspace is... well it's not a separate
universe as such. Imagine that the multiple universes theory is correct, and there are many parallel realities. Midspace is
not one of those universes, it's what those universes are sitting in.

To use a midspace drive you have to open a rift between the two, fly through it, then let it close behind you. Your drive
allows you to operate within midspace. When you're ready you open another rift and fly out.

When people discovered this, it was found that that's related to how the sail drive works too - sails basically make Midspace
sort of well up against the "underside" of normal space, that's what warps it. So sails and midspace are just two completely
different ways of utilising the same medium.

The weapon jacketing works rather like the sails. You generate a warp, wrap it around the matter and antimatter pulse, and let fly.
The warp doesn't last too long with nothing to sustain it, but then it doesn't have to.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Wow - you really do have an answer for every eventuality, don't you?

This ship should have a painting on the side of the bow, like shark jaws, or a pin-up girl like a WWII B-17. Looking at this ship would certainly make an enemy think, "You know what? Maybe we should have negotiated."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Some of the fighters have that... :)

I don't think I've ever seen nose art on a capital ship though!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

stencilled kill markers, at least?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

lol, who'd ever see it?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Its the thought that counts.

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey - stencilled kill markers, at least?

GrahamKennedy - lol, who'd ever see it?

Teaos - Its the thought that counts.

To all of this I say, ITS A BIG F...... SHIP SO MAKE THE MARKERS JUST AS BIG. THATS A LOT OF HULL, IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE EMPTY!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You have to understand, few people will ever see the outside of these ships. Weapon ranges are measured in light seconds... and later
much more than that. For two ships to be in visual range of one another for any reason is pretty much unheard of.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

WWII pilots put kill markers on their planes for their own benefit, not for anyone else's.

And BTW - I was really just kidding...
as Bull offed Custer