Buttons font problem in Chrome

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Primefalcon
Petty officer first class

Buttons font problem in Chrome

Post by Primefalcon »

Just want to say that the fonts in the buttons are a little small and hard to see see in chrome

For reference here's FF

Now here's Chrome
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buttons font problem in Chrome

Post by IanKennedy »

That's a bug in Chrome, I've reported it to them but they're too lazy to fix it. Seriously, the page rendering system used in Chrome is the exact same engine that is used in Safari (from apple), it's called WebKit. Safari displays the page correctly, as does IE, Firefox and Opera (even though they use different rendering engines). By all means report it to them yourself. The more people that report it the more likely they are to actually do something about it.

For now I would just use a working web browser, chrome is still too immature for production use.
email, ergo spam
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Chrome works just fine for me. I've only once had a problem with chrome since it came out.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:Chrome works just fine for me. I've only once had a problem with chrome since it came out.
For me the text is definitely smaller than it should be. Which of the two screens in the OP resembles you screen?
email, ergo spam
Primefalcon

Post by Primefalcon »

Fact is larger and larger amounts of people are using it, it is now the 3rd most popular browser behind IE and FF, so regardless of whose fault it is, it is ditl that looks the worse for it.

For reference I've fixed the issue for myself in Google Chrome by installing the stylish plugin and using this rule....

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Primefalcon wrote:Fact is larger and larger amounts of people are using it, it is now the 3rd most popular browser behind IE and FF, so regardless of whose fault it is, it is ditl that looks the worse for it.

For reference I've fixed the issue for myself in Google Chrome by installing the stylish plugin and using this rule....
It's broken in such a way that fixing it in Chrome will cause it to be significantly broken in every other browser. The result would be that the text on each button exceeds the space allowed for the button making it impossible to read. I'd rather you think it's a little small than make every other browser completely unusable.
email, ergo spam
Primefalcon

Post by Primefalcon »

You could solve that by using a bit of php generated css

Code: Select all

$useragent = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];
if (preg_match("/Chrome/", "$useragent")) { echo 'a.textlink { font-size: 20px !important; }'; }
This way it'd only insert the CSS if the browser is Google's Chrome
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

That's a really bad idea given there's 284 files to be updated. I'll just wait for them to get their act together. For <5% of users it's not worth it for now. You have a fix already.
email, ergo spam
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

IanKennedy wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Chrome works just fine for me. I've only once had a problem with chrome since it came out.
For me the text is definitely smaller than it should be. Which of the two screens in the OP resembles you screen?
Neither, my screen looks a little off from the GC pic. However it may not be a problem for me since my screen is 17' across.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Primefalcon

Post by Primefalcon »

IanKennedy wrote:That's a really bad idea given there's 284 files to be updated. I'll just wait for them to get their act together. For <5% of users it's not worth it for now. You have a fix already.
If you wanted to update all html pages that could be an issue since you have the buttons across all the ship pages and such..... Now I am not trying to tell you guys what to do, this is a damm great site, I respect you both immensely as knowledgeable individuals. The thing is we're going in Chrome version 6 now and it's still an issue, and Chrome is starting to gain a larger audience (probably because they're Google, also it is far more stable and faster than FF).

Short of using a shellscript using sed to update the all the files, there would be 2 options to allow you to use PHP directly in your Stylesheets which would make these kind of issues a snap.

1. Use the filename like styles.php and give it the header

Code: Select all

<?php header("Content-Type: text/css"); ?>
and change all the links(which would be a similar issue, though after which you would have the ability to use conditionals and such in your stylesheets, which is a great benefit.

2. The other way is just to create a .htaccess file, then after adding the header listed above to your .css file you would be able to use this directly in your css file as is, no other modifications needed.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I know about all of these things. I do this for a web sites and programming for a living. In fact I'm head of programming for one of Oxford Universities research departments. It's not a matter of not knowing how to address such an issue, it's more that I don't think it's a good idea to paper over Chrome's faulty edges. Doing that makes them think their program works correctly. They then look at it and think all is well. That way it will never get fixed and every website has to fiddle it's site to cope with it. It's bad enough having to cope with IE without working to make Chrome worse.

In the short term it may look bad for a small time. In the long run you will end up with a better web browser. Talk to them and get them to fix the browser, it's the right thing to do. The more web sites that fiddle their code to make broken things work correctly the harder it is for the browser developers to get their browser working correctly.
email, ergo spam
Primefalcon

Post by Primefalcon »

I am not arguing with you at all.... I'm just concerned some newcomers who use Chrome will think it's DITL rather than Chrome....

Don't get me started on IE, at least version 8 has shown some nice improvements for standards... still a long way to go though. At least IE6 is dying off finally, now we'll just have to wait another 6 years for the same to happen to 7.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Primefalcon wrote:I am not arguing with you at all.... I'm just concerned some newcomers who use Chrome will think it's DITL rather than Chrome....

Don't get me started on IE, at least version 8 has shown some nice improvements for standards... still a long way to go though. At least IE6 is dying off finally, now we'll just have to wait another 6 years for the same to happen to 7.
The reason IE 6 lasted so long is because it was so non-standard. That meant moving to the 'more standard' (ha, as if) IE 7 broke a lot of code. Equally, the move from 7 to 8 breaks a fair bit more, but at least it, perhaps, offers the chance that those sites that only support IE could go standard and thus get rid of the need for the IE specific nonsense altogether.
email, ergo spam
Primefalcon

Post by Primefalcon »

I don't think it's even that, I think the reason ie6 lasted so long was because it was what was on the XP disc, and 6 has lasted so long simply because XP has lasted so long due to Vista's bad press and image not to mention the depression causing people not to buy a new computer (since a lot of people just use what is on their system), a lot of users frankly don't even know what a web browser is.... All they know is if they click on the blue e, they can get on the internet.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Interesting thing. I've just look at the code again and guess what I found? There was a section of special code in there for Opera. It was forcing a special version of the stylesheet to be loaded. This was down to the fact that Opera didn't support downloadable fonts or the "font-size-adjust" tag. Because of this I had set a smaller font size for Opera. Now that Opera supports downloadable fonts this is no longer required. I've now removed that special code and allowed Opera to use by standard css. The upshot of that is that it should all work correctly.

The reason I didn't spot this earlier is because I was looking at the code for the standard pages, rather than the top and left menus. Once I saw the Opera specifics I stripped them out. Enjoy.
email, ergo spam