Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

On a somewhat related topic than Kick-Ass, target demographic-wise, any of you have seen Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World?

I have.

Two Times.

Second time with my (27 yrs old) sister, and I actually hyped her about it. I told her she would love it, that it's the Wayne's World of our generation. I was afraid the over-hype would, in the end, disapoint her.

It didn't.

She loved it huge time.

How about you?

1) Have you seen it? If no, go question 2. If yes, go question 3.

2) Why haven't you seen it? Lack of publicity? Just think it's a silly movie? You aren't in the 21-31 yrs old target demographic?

3) What did you thought of it? Are you telling your fellow-minded friends to go and see it?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Post by Reliant121 »

Number 2. For the simple reason, I'm a stingy bastard who refuses to see all but the most utterly deserved films until they come out on DVD/Blu-ray.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

How old are you?

'cause I think this movie to be a shower of new fresh stuff that achieved to be clever, original and has some depth, as opposed to, let's say, The Expendables, which is a stupid action movie filled with stars of yesterday.

But, kinda aimed at the 20-30 demographics, with references to Zelda, Final Fantasy, and other 8- and 16-bits video games/music. For frak sake, the opening Universal Logo is in 8-bits and the music plays in Midi!
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'm 15, edging ever closer to 16. (5 months, come on!) :D
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

No haven't seen it. No, won't see it. From the previews, doesn't interest me in the least.

For age, I'm 23.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

*sigh* I am reaching 25, but I think I reach the state of mind where it's pretty inconsequential to me, as I actually have to calculate it from time to time to remember myself how old I actually am (23? 24? 25?)

15? Nah, too young. You never played the Great Nintendo Classics, sadly, so most of the Video Game jokes would be lost on you. And.. you haven't really reached the state of personnal development (or the stalling of personnal development) my generation is somewhat facing that is addressed in that movie.

Maybe you'll have fun, but you will maybe miss some of it's depth.

@Stitch626: Don't trust the previews. Honestly. Don't. If you have to take a risk about movie-going this year, I heartily recommend you risk your money on that movie. It's a good chance to take. 8)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm 37 and remember all the NES games - and woulsn't see this movie if it were free. You can make fun of the venerable average age of the cast of The Expendablea, but the theme of Scott Pilgrim is about 11 years older than dirt and more hackneyed. :worried:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:I'm 37 and remember all the NES games - and woulsn't see this movie if it were free. You can make fun of the venerable average age of the cast of The Expendablea, but the theme of Scott Pilgrim is about 11 years older than dirt and more hackneyed. :worried:
Ditto...but I'm only 34 :wink:

I've been playing video games since PONG. I remember the likes of Jack Black as a child in a commercial for Atari's Pitfall. I remember when Mario was FIRST introduced, in Donkey Kong. I remember Baby PacMan, the pinball/video game combo (utter fail there). I remember the great cartoon video games, Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. I've owned every generation of gaming system since then. And this movie just doesn't appeal to me from what I've seen. Now, when it comes out on TV, like on Nick Family, or TBS, I may give it a watch, or via netflix as a streaming movie.........but otherwise, likely not.

A
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote: Dragon's Lair
Holy crap, we were living the dream when that came out. :laughroll: It might as well have been a flying car from "The Jetsons," as far as arcade-aged kids like us were concerned.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Oh god, I can't even begin to guess how many quarters I shoveled into that thing. Gauntlet also. Dear god, that used to BE an entire friday night. You know, kids in arcades just don't bond the same way we did. One guy plays, and six stand around him cheering him on, and every one of them are best friends until he loses his last life and the game ends.

Good times.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:Oh god, I can't even begin to guess how many quarters I shoveled into that thing. Gauntlet also. Dear god, that used to BE an entire friday night. You know, kids in arcades just don't bond the same way we did. One guy plays, and six stand around him cheering him on, and every one of them are best friends until he loses his last life and the game ends.

Good times.
I can hardly even imagine that the biggest worry we used to have was who got stuck playing the Valkyrie in Gauntlet. :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I loved that game. I preferred the elf, personally.

Man, we're old.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I loved that game. I preferred the elf, personally.

Man, we're old.
No. We're awesome! 8)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Saw it and wasn't impressed.
email, ergo spam
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:I loved that game. I preferred the elf, personally.

Man, we're old.
No. We're awesome! 8)

I was a wizard guy, personally.

What the hell were their names? Merlyn the Wizard....Questor the Elf

What about the Warrior and Valkyrie?