Kick-Ass

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Kick-Ass

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I just watched this on Wednesday with Uzume; I was honestly shocked at how great it was. From the trailers, I expected it to be pretty much a comedy movie with some violent action. Instead, it was a violent action movie with elements of comedy relating to the realities of trying to be a superhero.

Overall, the characters were well-developed and interesting, and the emotional aspect of the story was also put together well.

I have to give special credit to the actress who played Hit-Girl. Great character, and she pulled it off perfectly, IMO.

Anyone who hasn't seen this should check it out.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Kick-Ass

Post by Tyyr »

It's on my to watch list. I've heard mostly good things about it.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Loved this film too, I'd read the comics before hand. Was funny watching the Daily Mail crowd get all riled up about it. It might be a violent film, but I don't think it glorifies violence anymore then Trainspotting glorified drug taking.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I really didn't see what anyone's problem was.

1) It's a rated R movie

2) When I was 10, I cursed a lot more than she does in the film; I was expecting her to be completely foul-mouthed based on the "controversy". She sounds like a regular 10-year old to me.

3) What the f*ck is people's issue with violence in adult movies nowadays? What, it's okay when kids are victims of violence in movies, but not when they're the perpetrators?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Gotta agree, tsuki. Some people just have sticks up their asses.

This is on my watch list, too.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Anyone seen Four Lions yet? Hilarious and at times very touching tail of 4 would be suicide bombers. Another film that caused a bit of contreversy amongst a bunch of people who completely missed the poing of the movie.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The one thing I didn't like about Kick Ass was bringing in the Jame Bond techno-gadget at the end. For me the movie's theme was "what would it be like if somebody started to act like a superhero in real life?" The idea was to show that you'd get your ass kicked far more than you'd kick ass, because the flashy superhero crap that people pull in the movies just doesn't work in real life. To then turn around and stuff a rocket backpack complete with miniguns into the climax... it just defeated the whole premise of the movie.

Still, it was a LOT of fun along the way and I did enjoy it overall.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Yeah, the rocket pack wasn't in the original comic. Nor was the happy ending where the hero gets the girl.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, if they just remade the comic into a movie it wouldn't be worth seeing. We all remember how Ultra-Violet turned out. :bangwall:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

There was a Kick-Ass comic? :confused:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

One fun/disorienting thing was when Hit-Girl first meets Kick-Ass. We have this cutesy little song playing, as she is going around the room maiming and killing people. Definitely a contrast.

One thing that would have been good at the end:

SPOILER
When Kick-Ass fights Mist, Mist would have pointed at the corners of the room that there were cameras set up, so after Mist won, he could edit it together, and put it up on Youtube to answer the fan question of who would win, Kick-Ass or Mist.

During the fight though, Kick-Ass goes around the room, smashing the cameras, until at the end Mist is busy trying to protect the last camera (otherwise he has nothing), and Kick-Ass trying to finish the fight so he can help Hit-Girl. He later destroys the video, so Mist is left with nothing. This encourages Mist to become a villain, to challenge Kick-Ass and have it broadcast live (with sturdier cameras).

Added spoiler tags - Tsukiyumi
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Coalition wrote:One fun/disorienting thing was when Hit-Girl first meets Kick-Ass. We have this cutesy little song playing, as she is going around the room maiming and killing people. Definitely a contrast.
Never saw Kick-Ass, but this has been done to death. I know that I, for one, can never listen to Stealer's Wheel's "Stuck In the Middle With You" the same way again.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Mark wrote:There was a Kick-Ass comic? :confused:
Yes, written by fallen creator Mark Miller himself. Starts out great, with some weird art, but then falls into suckiness due to Mark's fetishes.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And those would be?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Is it perhaps relating to this: