recommendations for scary movies for halloween

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

you jammy bugger, just reminded me of 2 semi-good horrors,that i haven't watched in ages! I owe you a debt of gratitude!
White Noise and White Noise 2: the Light
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Granitehewer wrote:okay okay, i'll give away my gem, although to most people, its crappy, but i love it
watch 'Evil Dead: Army of Darkness', it trails on from the events of Evil Dead 2, and features an army of skeletons being combine-harvested by an A-team'd uber-car!

Boomstick!
its a trap. get an axe.

i'm glad GrahamKennedy mentioned the original halloween from the 70's though. i thought that was a very scary movie with excellent atmosphere and tension-building. they don't make movies like that anymore -- nowadays, they spell everything out for you and show you all the gore and and grossness to try to shock the fear out of you. of course, then there's always Brain Dead which is just so freaking nasty, its just...humorous-crazy (?)...i can't really explain it.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Bad Taste was comparable to braindead,although the meagre budget meant that machine gun rounds going off were simulated by punching holes in the film reel,apparently.
I love Braindead: 'Time for some divine intervention, i fight for the lord!'
The original Halloween, was harrowing,really chilling esp with the tubular bells.....
Try 'Cradle of Fear' its by the british band 'Cradle of Filth' and despite a poor budget and atrocious acting, is one of the best crafted horror films there is likely to be, outside of james whales' frankenstein or max shrek as nosferatu... ''Get off me tin!''
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

'Creep' is reasonable although 'Craig' has some rather inconsistent abilities and strength through various scenes and does resemble gollum, but the mock surgery sequence is eerie
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It all depends upon what you call a horror film. Things like the original Halloween and even the original Alien are very atmospheric and are what I would think of as horror.

These days with films such as Captivity, Saw and Hostel it all seems to have become about how gruesome you can make it, without much care for anything much of a story.

I always liked Poltergeist (I), which isn't all that scary. I just like the way it builds from a nice peaceful suburban scene to coffins exploding from the ground (giving the end away). Poltergeist II was a good sequel which can't be said of III.
email, ergo spam
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

....in your opinion........
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

perhaps there is a point often missed, the 'saw' films do touch upon philosophical, ideological and moral underpinnings regarding free will, determinism, consequence and antecedence etc, at least to my small circle
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Granitehewer wrote:perhaps there is a point often missed, the 'saw' films do touch upon philosophical, ideological and moral underpinnings regarding free will, determinism, consequence and antecedence etc, at least to my small circle
That's what I got from the first film particularly. The underlying moral tone was similar (in its most basic form) to 'Phone Booth'.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i watched that drunk, but it was the keifer sutherland, colin farrel film, wasn't it?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah. The concept was a wronged, disillusioned man 'testing' people who were essentally flawed, people who gained from the suffering and misfortune of others, trying to redeem them, and killing the ones who failed. As I said, similar in basic concept.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

IanKennedy wrote:It all depends upon what you call a horror film. Things like the original Halloween and even the original Alien are very atmospheric and are what I would think of as horror.

These days with films such as Captivity, Saw and Hostel it all seems to have become about how gruesome you can make it, without much care for anything much of a story.

I always liked Poltergeist (I), which isn't all that scary. I just like the way it builds from a nice peaceful suburban scene to coffins exploding from the ground (giving the end away). Poltergeist II was a good sequel which can't be said of III.
i agree with ian. the subtle atmospheric fear that alien and halloween has is a different kind of horror where you're more afraid of whats around the corner that what actually is around the corner. i remember watching halloween when i was much younger and being afraid to look out windows afterwards. just creepy.

and in terms of movies like saw, the first movie had what i call at least a decent story with difficult choices and such, and even the second movie i thought was ok. but with it being stretched all the way to a fourth movie, i really feel the premise has been bled dry and all you get are just more ways to kill somebody in elaborate ways. the "tests" are pretty imaginative, i have to admit. however, i thought Seven had a better message about morality, human flaws, and difficult choices.

(plus, i remember watching the saw iv trailer a while back and saying to myself, "did he just take out a stomach from somebody's thorax?" maybe he did, maybe he didn't.)
Last edited by celeritas on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

yes, and 'Saw' was also about the value of life and living, and peoples' distortion of priorities and being totally devoid of appreciation for what really is precious, with redemption as its strongest theme, agreed
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Granitehewer wrote:yes, and 'Saw' was also about the value of life and living, and peoples' distortion of priorities and being totally devoid of appreciation for what really is precious, with redemption as its strongest theme, agreed
have you ever seen a movie called "cube"? i thought that movie had a good spin on what people do in high stress situations, value of living and such but it also had lord of the flies-type morality choices which i found kind of interesting.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

yay! i loved the philosophies at work with that, although apparently they really milked the franchise dry with the cube zero and hypercube efforts, which apparently were somewhat barren of wit and quite pretentious
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Granitehewer wrote:yay! i loved the philosophies at work with that, although apparently they really milked the franchise dry with the cube zero and hypercube efforts, which apparently were somewhat barren of wit and quite pretentious
yeah the second movie i thought was barely watchable -- i thought the cube sucked in that one but what was partially interesting was the background mythology of being fleshed out. unfortunately, it was somewhat haphazardly done so it was rather a boring affair.

now cube zero -- wow. i want the time i wasted on that back. with interest.