XP service pack 2

shran
Commander
Commander

XP service pack 2

Post by shran »

I can't find that service Pack on the microsoft websites, but I still need it to get this computer I'm working on in some sort of working order. I am a complete lay, though, but the microsoft sites told me that Service pack 3 can't be installed without 1a or 2 instaled as well. So, any solutions for this?

We're talking about Windows XP Home edition 2002, service Pack 1, compaq Presario, Intel Celeron 2.80 Ghz, 256 RAM, 144 GB harddisk, 122GB available.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Re: XP service pack 2

Post by colmquinn »

Do you have service pack 1 or am I reading your post wrong?
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

No, this is an old wreck not updated for years, mainly to be used for the occasional gaming, and late night web browsing. And it was such a slow heap I recently rebooted the thing according to the specs at which it was bought.

EDIT: This computer resides at my parent's place. No wonder it's old.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

why not just try Linux if you can't get the XP?

(I think I have XP somewhere on a disc but that's not much use to you I know)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

You tried CTUpdate?

Its a great little utility that downloads what all the updates and service packs for the Microsoft operating system(s) and Microsoft Office suites you pick and packs then all into a folder.

You can then copy the lot onto a pendrive, transfer it to another PC, and run it, at which point all the updates will be installed automatically whilst you go for a cupper. Alternatively, you can get it to generate an ISO file with the updates for each OS - you just burn it to a CD, pop the CD in the computer you want to update and let it do its thing.

Its supposedly for security purposes, allowing you to update a computer will really out of date patches without having to take it online (when an unpatched PC is vunerable). Its also great for when you reinstall Windows, cause you can run it once and leave it going rather then have to keep telling it to install updates and restarting.

It won't allow you to specifically install Service Pack 1, but it will install (nearly) all the latest patches, including all the Service Packs if you tell it.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Thanks fr the help, let's see wether I can whip this thing back into shape.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

If you haven't got service pack 2 installed and you have been on the internet then the machine is very very infected by all sorts of malware. It's possibly why you keep rebooting so often. Seriously we tried to install SP1 version of XP on an old machine of Graham's, before he got a Mac. Within moments of going online to downloaded the service packs he was infected by multiple things before the download was complete.
email, ergo spam