BETA SIM OOC THREAD

Moderator: Lt. Staplic

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

BETA SIM OOC THREAD

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Alright, I wanted to go ahead and put this up. I'm still waiting to get a few sheets out (and waiting to hear back from Mikey) but proceed with OOC discussion here, the IC thread will go up tomorrow, and since many of you have been asking for it, the map:

To keep track of the players:
Federation - BIG
Romulans - Sonic Glitch
Klingons - Reliant
Jacorn - Codan
Tholins - Mark
Breen - NPT
Cardassians - tyyr
Ferangi - Stitch
Hyllus - LightHawk

Also I'm changing the rule about subject: If it is pertaining to this SIM please put Staplic, but NOT SIM
Last edited by Lt. Staplic on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: STAPLIC SIM OOC THREAD

Post by Tyyr »

Maroon over mustard, that's an eyesore.

Don't suppose we could have something a little less ridiculous and move the home worlds right off the borders?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

nope sorry, that's what we're using...anything that's numbered I added, but the named planets were there already and those are the same as the other map.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Somehow I have a feeling if the Federation gets antsy the rest of us are kind of screwed.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tyyr wrote:Somehow I have a feeling if the Federation gets antsy the rest of us are kind of screwed.
I am not really the nervous type.

I think this map was originally put together based on the idea that it seemed like when they wanted to ships seemed to get from the borders to the capital worlds of the various empires very quickly. I have no idea who put it together though.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I do, kind of....I did a bunch of background searching on the map I just pulled off google when we started this thing, the people actually calculated rough distances based of warp speed and distance, and other known cannon facts and spent a few months building the map. It's not perfect but based off a lot of other maps I've seen it matches up pretty well, and it works best for our purposes.

also Tyyr, as you can see from our SIM it's not likely for the Federation player to go off the wall to attack someone. If they were to do that not only would EVERYONE else in the SIM probably turn against them, there would be some serious hell to pay at home.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I do, kind of....I did a bunch of background searching on the map I just pulled off google when we started this thing, the people actually calculated rough distances based of warp speed and distance, and other known cannon facts and spent a few months building the map. It's not perfect but based off a lot of other maps I've seen it matches up pretty well, and it works best for our purposes.

also Tyyr, as you can see from our SIM it's not likely for the Federation player to go off the wall to attack someone. If they were to do that not only would EVERYONE else in the SIM probably turn against them, there would be some serious hell to pay at home.
That's the reason for the purges....
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Things can happen. Traditionally "Don't worry, if I were to attack you it would just harm me," is usually diplo-speak for, "Why yes, I will be running a train on your ass, just let me take care of a detail or two first."

I get why the map is the way it is. The end result just winds up looking wacky.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The problem for the Federation is that it has to guard so much border space. Even a fleet triple the size of its larger neighbors is still going to have trouble guarding everything.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Lt. Staplic wrote:nope sorry, that's what we're using...anything that's numbered I added, but the named planets were there already and those are the same as the other map.

To be fair, remember in DS9, you can reach the Cardassian system in a relatively short time in a slow ass runabout from the Bajoran system.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Also Tyyr, the democratic nations such as the CU and the UFP have to answer to a council which is generally speaking controlled by the GM. If the GM thinks that so and so's executive decisions are not fair, or peaceful etc. enough or it doesnt have a justifiable reason, then the Council can veto the executive decisions of a leader. The RSE, KE, BC etc. are all autocratic (for the purposes of the game anyway) and so have little opposition to their decision making.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Depends really... the Breen are a confederacy of clans. The Klingon Empire is divided by the Great Houses and the Families within and then there is the High Council. The Romulan Empire has a senate that it has to answer to.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

This is why I said it was, for the purposes of the game, a autocracy. While they are in fact more oligarchic, the individual in question (IE, you or me) has virtually limitless power. The RSE's senate hasn't particularly proved difficult for the Praetor in the past, and the High Council in the empire seems happy as long as theres lots of guns being created, and something to kill somewhere.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Reliant121 wrote:Also Tyyr, the democratic nations such as the CU and the UFP have to answer to a council which is generally speaking controlled by the GM. If the GM thinks that so and so's executive decisions are not fair, or peaceful etc. enough or it doesnt have a justifiable reason, then the Council can veto the executive decisions of a leader. The RSE, KE, BC etc. are all autocratic (for the purposes of the game anyway) and so have little opposition to their decision making.
Yeah, no democracy has ever gone to war based on flimsy pretext and public hysteria. That shit just doesn't happen.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

:lol:

Big's so far been quite a responsible one. I've had to entirely restructure my "empire" to do what I'm doing right now, Stap was prevented from making an arms deal with me because the council didnt trust me, they cant really go to war unless you effectively annihilate a planet of theirs.