HMS Amzarg

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

HMS Amzarg

Post by Graham Kennedy »

By the 28th century a raft of new technologies was emerging which was to revolutionise interstellar travel and warfare. Chief amongst
these was the midspace drive, but in addition new forcefield technologies, matter/antimatter weapons and power systems, new hull
materials, new computer systems... with the success of HMS Iowa, the Admiralty were forced to finally face up to the reality of the
situation. The sail fleet was obsolete, and it was going to have to be scrapped and replaced with a new generation. And worse,
that new generation were going to be horribly expensive. Even excluding development costs, it had taken as much to get HMS Iowa
into space as it would to build six Theramel class battleships. Building a new-generation warship from scratch to incorporate the
emerging technologies would cost at least triple that - and more again in research and development. But there was simply no other
choice, and in 2710 the Navy commissioned the Amzarg project. The project mandate was to build a battleship with a midspace drive,
matter/antimatter power system, matter/antimatter weaponry, and the latest in shields, armour and computers. It took twenty years
to produce a viable spacecraft. But when HMS Amzarg was commissioned, the face of Naval warfare changed forever.

The engines were Generation 2 Midspace shunts, arranged above and below the aft hull as in the Iowa. The powerplant was a
matter/antimatter reactor, feeing a zero point energy multiplier unit (ZPEX). The forward hull, much larger than on Iowa, mounted
weapons, accomodation, sensors, and a hangar bay
(a feature lacking on the Iowa). The connecting neck was yet again thickened and strengthened. Whilst it was beginning to
become apparent that difficulties in this respect were an inherent feature of the twin-field design inherent to Midspace vessels,
the Amzarg's neck structure was more than triple the strength of the Iowa's, and reduced the bending and cracking issues previously
encountered to a minimum.

Weaponry comprised six antimatter/matter particle (AMP) cannons. These weapons fired a matter and antimatter particle stream at the
enemy ship, bringing the streams together just above the target's shields. They were hugely more effective than any feasible laser weapon
could be. Additional firepower was provided by a pair of torpedo tubes carrying the new Starfire missile; this huge weapon mounted a
200 kg matter/antimatter warhead which was judged capable of one-shot destruction of any vessel known except the Amzarg herself
(whose high capacity shields were thought capable of resisting two hits.) Backup firepower was provided by sixty laser cannon in twin
turrets, which served largely in the torpedo defence role; by this time the offensive capability of these weapons was little better than token.

It cannot be emphasised enough how revolutionary a ship the Amzarg was. In terms of fighting sail ships, her only real limitation was
fuel and ammunition; without those constraints it would be perfectly possible for the Amzarg to engage and destroy every other
ship in the Navy.

After the Amzarg neither of the two Empires would ever commission another sail driven warship, nor one which used lasers as
anything more than backup armament. The face of warfare had changed radically and forever.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Wow lol. Rather large. I notice this one has more windows that your other ships. Is this because it has better shields to protect them.

The neck strut still seem to be a inherit weakness. Why cant they just build around it?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Maybe the forward section has seperation capability, to get the crew away from the engine section in case of emergency.

Regardless, nice work, Graham.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The way the midspace drive works (at least in this generation) is that there are two drive field lobes. Each lobe has to have a mass in it - a
hull - and the two have to be joined together and synchronised. The doodad on the neck is the field synchroniser, which has to be
exactly midway between the two fields.

Field synchronisation is an imperfect art, and as a result there is stress on the connecting neck. Better synchronisation technology helps
and stronger necks resist the forces, but it's just something you have to live with if you are using a twin lobe system.

There are two factors at play. From a structural point of view the neck would be as thick as possible - as thick as the rest of the ship,
if not thicker. And it would be something like a solid block of the most super-strong material you could find, to boot (with a corridor
through the middle of course).

Oh, and future designs get bigger. Much bigger. They'll be posted at a smaller scale, and that's why I posted the size comparison pics.

Trouble is, the neck disrupts the field lobes where it joins them, and the thicker it is the more they are disrupted, and the less efficient
your drive system gets. For drive efficiency the ideal design would be a hair thin link between the two, basically just a wire to connect
them. But of course that would snap in a heartbeat.

So there's a balance at work - how much do you want to mess your drive efficiency up against how much do you want to be able to actually
turn the ship in flight.

As the drives become better and better over time, there's enough gain in drive power and efficiency in the other elements of it that you can
afford to thicken the neck a bit, therefore giving you more turning ability.

As an aside the lobes are ellipsoids by the way, and having a hull that fits those contours also contributes to better efficiency. If you look
carefully at any of the Midspace ships I've posted so far you'll notice that the hulls are either ellipsoids themselves, of segments thereof.
Again there's a tradeoff, because while a completely ellipsoid hull would be the most efficient, it also wouldn't be terribly practical to hang
equipment on. And again, as drives get better the whole "fit the field lobe" thing becomes of less import and designs will become more
utalitarian.

But it is a big, big no-no to have anything poke through the field lobe - it would be like flying an aeroplane with an airbrake open.

And yes, the basic principles of all this were thought out first, and then ship designs created to fit the "science". And is it scary that I put
that much thought into it or what? :)

And also, future ships get bigger. MUCH bigger. They'll be posted at a different scale, which is why I posted the size comparison chart.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

And is it scary that I put that much thought into it or what?
Not at all. That's what I do when creating ships for my novel series, work out the tech, then figure out effective designs for employing it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh MAN, after spending like two solid days working on this, I went and saved over the high resolution master copy of the ship. Damn damn DAMN!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That sucks, to put it mildly. Always make multiple copies of important files, Graham...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nice ship, and my sympathies on the high resolution version. I've lost count of the amount of times I've saved over something by accident...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Wow suprisingly I followed almost all of that :)

You said in the future with better tech the ships neck will get thicker, shouldnt they get thinnner? With the stabilizer around to help keep the two bits in sync they would need less support not more.

On a more general note I am a little suprised Humans havent attack the other species that liberated them. Being someones slave race for a few hundred years might make you rather xenophobic.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:Wow suprisingly I followed almost all of that :)

You said in the future with better tech the ships neck will get thicker, shouldnt they get thinnner? With the stabilizer around to help keep the two bits in sync they would need less support not more.
There is always a tradeoff between thick neck = more agility and thin neck = more efficiency. Improving the synchronising gear does help,
but there's only so far you can go with that because there are theoretical limits to how well you can synchronise the fields, akin to something
like the Heisenberg limit. When you hit that there's no more improvement there. And even at that point, there's still an issue with the
neck.

The basic rule is, there's just no way to make the neck as strong as you would like. Have the best synchronising gear that's theoretically
possible; you'll still rip your ship in half if you try to do a ninety degree turn at speed. So it's a matter of "how thick can we get away
with?" - and that's what progress in other parts of the drive system allows, enough leeway to make the neck thicker and so give more agility.

On a more general note I am a little suprised Humans havent attack the other species that liberated them. Being someones slave race for a few hundred years might make you rather xenophobic.
Oh, they did. Very much so. It was actually one of the bigger genocide attempts known at the time; Not too many of the Saravan left
nowdays as a result. "present day" humans are somewhat ashamed of it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Oh, they did. Very much so. It was actually one of the bigger genocide attempts known at the time; Not too many of the Saravan left
nowdays as a result. "present day" humans are somewhat ashamed of it.
Ha sweet. Are they and the former slave masters the only two species humans know of?

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh no. It's a big galaxy, there's a lot of species out there - not too different from something like Trek in that respect.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Some Specs for the Amzarg

Length :[/b] 1,243.33 m (4,079 feet 1.5 inches)
Height :[/b] 320.67 m (1,052 feet 0.5 inches)
Beam :[/b] 130.17 m (427 feet 0.6 inches)
Mass :[/b] 9,500,000 metric tons
Decks :[/b] 36 habitable decks
Crew :[/b] 7,570
Speed :[/b] 4,900 x c maximum cruise; highest achieved speed over one light year dash 5,381 x c.
Endurance :[/b] 60 days at maximum cruise speed; 805 light years.
Armament :[/b] 6 x AMP cannon; 1,500 TW average output; 34 x Twin 60 GW Gamma ray laser cannon; 96 x Starfire attack missiles, 2,000 MT yield
Armour :[/b] Armour plating up to 2 metres; shield system
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Armour : Armour plating up to 2 metres; shield system
Sh*t thats a lot of armour.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well it is most of a mile long.

2 metres is "up to", remember. Like a WW II battleship; the sides are heavily armoured, but the top and bottom much less so.