Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Staplic SIM Sign-up

Post by Tyyr »

Deepcrush wrote:Then you're going to be one funny looking cardassian... :poke:

:laughroll:
I've had this AV for twelve years. Funny looking or not it stays.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Deepcrush wrote:
BigJKU316 wrote:Says the Klingon...
Yes, SAYS THE KLINGON!

...in the Santa hat
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That's right... in the santa hat... because I can! :happydevil:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I had a thought. Instead of the "standard universe", you guys could do something creative.....like have this in a "mirror universe", or this SIM set in the past. Or something like that.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It would be really quite interesting to do a sim in say TMP era.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Mark wrote:I had a thought. Instead of the "standard universe", you guys could do something creative.....like have this in a "mirror universe", or this SIM set in the past. Or something like that.
It was talked about but the problem with that is this.

DITL gives us a standard set of data for ships as of one date (2380ish). Without that it is very hard to back things up for powers other than the Federation. Basically you have Federation and Klingon ships with a very sparse data set on Romulan ships. We figured that people could honestly spend the next 6 months arguing about the strength of the Federation vs Romulans vs Cardassians in a given time frame.

Plus it opens up an assortment of other issues such as where to put map lines and a bunch of pre-known facts. For example do you just delete the Bajoran Wormhole? Otherwise people will race towards it. What about the Borg and other such things?

It opens a huge basket of issues to deal with when you players know where things did go. Its like trying to run a WWII sim and getting a German player to actually go after Russia. They know it makes things much more difficult and they resist.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Fair point, but none of those are in and of themselves insurmountable.

1st, slower warp speeds would prohibit certain things that would be availble to TNG speeds.

2nd, as its the "GMs" universe, he can make whatever he likes available. To use your example, the Bajoran wormhole is a dead issue, because nobody had discovered Bajor yet. The Cardassian Occupation wouldn't have even begun yet.

3rd, for ships one could use percentages. For example, there are stats for Fed and Klingon ships a plenty. See how Cardie ships for example match up in TNG, then scale them back appropriately. The Galor class would likely be under development in that era, so you'd have something to base that off of.

Granted, a pain..........but it could be worth it.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Mark wrote:Fair point, but none of those are in and of themselves insurmountable.

1st, slower warp speeds would prohibit certain things that would be availble to TNG speeds.

2nd, as its the "GMs" universe, he can make whatever he likes available. To use your example, the Bajoran wormhole is a dead issue, because nobody had discovered Bajor yet. The Cardassian Occupation wouldn't have even begun yet.

3rd, for ships one could use percentages. For example, there are stats for Fed and Klingon ships a plenty. See how Cardie ships for example match up in TNG, then scale them back appropriately. The Galor class would likely be under development in that era, so you'd have something to base that off of.

Granted, a pain..........but it could be worth it.
It would be. It might be something attempted down the road. There are also scaling issues with the spreadsheet (none of which are insurmountable but they would take some work) particularly with the way engine development is paid for.

There is, somewhere deep in my home server, a version 2 of the spreadsheet that junks a lot of what is being done and does things in a much more open format, but it is a long way from being ready for use. But it allows for both linear and exponential R&D so in theory one could set time back far enough and end up with a Star Wars type nation (where instead of moving beyond lasers they just kept building bigger and more) going up against a race that developed weapons like the Vorlons and Shadows that slice planets in half from a ship the size of a frigate. That engine is a full fledged cradle to grave type system that you could run as far back as everyone starting with 1 planet and growing out over the course of several thousand years.

But right now that is a total mess that I have not touched in months and probably would not pickup until all this is wrapped up.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

What about the parallel universe, I kinda like that idea as well, and just keep the basic ship designs and strengths for the most part.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

again that's an okay idea that could be done in the future, but it would force a lot of speculation on where map boundaries are, the strengths of ships (I know you said keep them the same but realistically it doesn't make sense for a nation under constant war to develop the exact same ship as a nation in peace), and the internal political make ups of the various powers. It's all possible to take into account, but not something we really want to undertake right now.

Especially since I just finished all the sit-reps and spreadsheets for the SIM.

So to be clear we have:
Codan
Nick
BIG
Tyyr
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Just an fyi for everyone that has signed up. As I pointed out earlier even the tinyest of player differences will lead to an entierly different SIM than the other game...but also to make sure that players don't take similar moves to try and mimic the other one the starting set-ups for each will be a little bit different with one or two that are entirely different. This should be enough to put us on a different track from that SIM, so while you can talk to the players in the current SIM don't expect their advise to work out for you exactly as they predict.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.