Episode "The Wire"

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Episode "The Wire"

Post by Deepcrush »

Just watched this and I do believe its the first Garek centric episode. Adding to that, his character was masterfully played IMO. Andrew Robinson gave an amazing performance of a troubled exile who's life is something that he can never truly open up about. And, the pains in which someone like that must live through being on a station to which no one trusts him and he can trust no one.

I believe its SFDebris material.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Episode "The Wire"

Post by kostmayer »

It was also I believe the introduction of Tain, one my fave characters.

The thing I liked about the episode is that we're never sure at the end of it how much if any of what Garak says is true or not.

Theres also Bashirs affection for him. Bashir claims he doesn't care about Garaks past and that it's his duty as a doctor to treat Garak, but we can see theres more to it then that.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tain is a very nice add in, and personally I was disappointed the way they killed him off.

As to Bashir and Garek, I think its pretty clear they both have a friendship that neither is really ready to admit to.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Bit of an odd relationship - as is Bashir and O'Brien come to think of it. The good Doctor was a bit of an annoying git in the early days, he's another good example of the character development shown in DS9.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I thought any exploration of Garak was great, including this. It would have been so easy to leave Garak as a very stereotypical Cardie spy with a shadowy past. He was in many ways still such a character, but at least with a backstory, hinted explanations, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Deepcrush wrote:Tain is a very nice add in, and personally I was disappointed the way they killed him off.
Well, the character was lucky ennough to have 2 death scenes. (I really though him dead when we left him on the Romulan CIC). The first death scene was simply great for him.

The 2nd.. was awfully touching. We could see Garak's distress into his eyes. It was beautifully written, or at least, a lot more so than the average Trek that tries to inspire us emotions.

And after the 2nd, we heard about the incredible stuff he achieved in the wall. When you remember how fat the man was, you have to admire his dedication to go stuck himself in such a small corner.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You know, I honestly wish they would have done more with the Obsidian Order. Would have made for some great stories, and shed some light its workings, thus revealing more about Garak.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:You know, I honestly wish they would have done more with the Obsidian Order. Would have made for some great stories, and shed some light its workings, thus revealing more about Garak.
Part of what I liked about the Order I think comes from how little we know about it. That's what makes it interesting for people. The mystery behind the machine, how they seem to just know everything, be everywhere and nowhere and then just appear and disappear. A tailer who can override top secret clearance, an old fat man who kills four spec-ops and then jokes about the good old days over a cup of tea.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And an orginization with enough clout to completely take over a star system, and begin building a fleet of there own without ANYBODY knowing about it? LOL
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

True enough, their ability to act on matters to the point of having their own small fleet is extremely impressive.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Deepcrush wrote:True enough, their ability to act on matters to the point of having their own small fleet is extremely impressive.
Especially as their own charter strictly forbade them from owning any military hardware of their own.
Mark wrote:And an orginization with enough clout to completely take over a star system, and begin building a fleet of there own without ANYBODY knowing about it? LOL
Well, except the people whose homeworld they were about to obliterate.

What would have happened had the Founders not learned of the plan? Could Tain have wiped out most of the Founders, and would the Alpha Quadrant weathered the counterstrike easily?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

kostmayer wrote:Especially as their own charter strictly forbade them from owning any military hardware of their own.
Charters are a funny thing, they really don't mean as much as people think they do. For the most part, charters more or less just give a general idea of who's turf certain subjects fall on.
kostmayer wrote:What would have happened had the Founders not learned of the plan? Could Tain have wiped out most of the Founders, and would the Alpha Quadrant weathered the counterstrike easily?
The Dominion War would have kicked off with the CU/RSE followed by the UFP and KE being dragged into the fighting. Though it would have presented a much more united front.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That would actually make a pretty interesting topic of discussion.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

OH! Start a thread and lets get to it!

We need some fresh topics anyways.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

On it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939