From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

James Bond #23 Cancelled

Post by Sionnach Glic »

New James Bond film has been cancelled
Yesterday, 11:34 am

The new James Bond film, due for release by 2012, has been cancelled due to a cash crisis.

Production crew were told in April the £132 million blockbuster, starring Daniel Craig, had been postponed amid "financial problems" at debt ridden movie studio MGM, which co-funded the film.

The studio has now confirmed that filming of Bond 23 has been axed completely - and it could be years before the secret agent is back on the big screen.

American Beauty director Sam Mendes had been lined up to direct the twenty-third film in the franchise.

But production company EON have confirmed in a statement: "We do not know when development will resume and cannot comment further at this stage."
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Re: James Bond #23 Cancelled

Post by Griffin »

This reminds me so much of this video.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It's a shame because of the iconic status of Bond films, but TBH it wouldn't have been a huge loss if they quit when they ran out of Fleming novels (or when Albert B. exited.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:It's a shame because of the iconic status of Bond films, but TBH it wouldn't have been a huge loss if they quit when they ran out of Fleming novels (or when Albert B. exited.)
:)
email, ergo spam
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

The last two movies were pretty good, IMO.
Daniel Craig did a fine job as James Bond, way better the Lazenby, Dalton or Moore...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Praeothmin wrote:The last two movies were pretty good, IMO.
Daniel Craig did a fine job as James Bond, way better the Lazenby, Dalton or Moore...
The first with Daniel Craig was excellent the second suffered from shakycam and was thus much degraded. Craig himself made a very good bond, I'd even say he was on a par with Connery.
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Agreed on 1 and 3, but not 2 - Dalton was easily the same quality as Connery as Bond.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:It's a shame because of the iconic status of Bond films, but TBH it wouldn't have been a huge loss if they quit when they ran out of Fleming novels (or when Albert B. exited.)
:)
Is that in agreement, or in deprecation? :?
Daniel Craig did a fine job as James Bond
I think they were decent films... just not in the top half of Bond films. There was a certain intangible quality which they lacked, and which has been missing since (to repeat) the dearth of original novels a/o Mr. Broccoli. Witness Thunderball Lite - er, I mean Never Say Never Again.
Praeothmin wrote:way better the Lazenby,
OK...
Praeothmin wrote:Dalton
OK...
Praeothmin wrote:or Moore...
Not OK. On the whole, I'd rate Craig a better actor than Moore (in film, anyway... The Saint was a phenomenal piece of TV acting.) However, Moore had a certain "Bond-ness" - sardonic, wittily sarcastic, whatever - which Craig lacked noticeably, which Dalton lacked, which Brosnan had in spades, and of which Connery was the paragon.
Captain Seafort wrote:Dalton was easily the same quality as Connery as Bond.
Are you sure you're talking about the correct series of films... or the correct Dalton?
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Are you sure you're talking about the correct series of films... or the correct Dalton?
Yup. Dalton's Bond had the same hard edge as Craig that not even Connery was able to consistently pull off, and certainly more so than the excessively tongue-in-cheek aspects of Moore and Brosnan.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Yup. Dalton's Bond had the same hard edge as Craig that not even Connery was able to consistently pull off, and certainly more so than the excessively tongue-in-cheek aspects of Moore and Brosnan.
A - Dalton didn't have nearly the edge that Craig had, but I do see what you're getting at; so,

B - that edge, without the charisma and sardonic wit that characterized Connery and Brosnan (and Moore in an over-the-top manner,) adds up to a generic action/adventure film hero and not the unique James Bond we've come to know and love.
as Bull offed Custer
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Connery was, is, and always will be the best Bond there is, IMO, because he had it all: the physical presence, the charisma, the social grace, and was mean as hell when he needed to be, even with women.
These are all the traits you would expect to find in a super-spy who is also a socialite extraordinaire...

Lazenby: he had it all: a plastic smile, ... and... hhmmm... plastic hair... and... Fuck it, he was the worst Bond ever, by far. OHMSS should be burned forever and never again talked about...

Moore: he was perfect in the role of the easy-going socialite, but looked far too foppish to be the edgy, tough super-spy/killer Connery portrayed. He had no edge to speak of, and looked more like an aristocrat looking for a cheap thrill then a super-spy righting the wrongs done against his Government.
He was to Bond, IMO, what Schumaker's Batman was to Burton's Batman...

Dalton: Dalton wasn't James Bond, he was a hard-assed action hero tough guy that we see in many action movies. He was more believable in the action scenes then Moore, but he didn't quite have the charm Connery had...

Brosnan: Mixed Moore's and Connery's Bonds, sometimes foppish, sometimes edgy, pretty much an almalgam of both. A believable Bond...

Craig: Take Connery's Bond, strip away experience and the years of socializing, and you get Craig's Bond. Perfect for a reboot, and the edgiest Bond IMO...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Praeothmin wrote:Dalton: Dalton wasn't James Bond, he was a hard-assed action hero tough guy
Aka James Bond. It isn't Dalton who's un-Bondlike, it's all the others, with the possible exception of Craig.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Dalton was not a great Bond. Not the worst but that's not saying much. He was too gung-ho for Bond. I prefer Moore to him but they're still not my favorites. Connery will always be top followed by Brosnan. Craig, I dunno. Both his films are good, they just didn't instantly scream Bond to me. It's there, just after Brosnan there's something about Craig's bond that just doesn't ring true.

I think Praeothmin is on to something with Moore and Dalton both being different sides of Bond taken to the fore. In Craig's case, and I hate to say this, I think he's more on the Dalton side than the Moore. Bond in name only.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Exactly my point. Craig's Bond, and to a lesser extent Dalton's, could have as easily been the heroes of the Die Hard movies as of Bond films. They lacked a certain charisma - a cold charisma at times, but there nonetheless - which Connery, Moore, and Brosnan had. In Moore's case, that charisma came at the sacrifice of almost any hard edge at all... probably why he was so great in The Saint, and why his Bond films were the most cartoonish.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

My favourite is still George Lazenby. Dunno why. Then Dalton by a mile, followed by Moore. I place Connery last. Call me heathen, but I have never liked him at all.