Best and Worst Video Game movies

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Best and Worst Video Game movies

Post by stitch626 »

Not as popular as comic book movies, but there are a few movies based off video games. Some of them have been decent. Others come among the worst movies ever (or so I've been told). So what are your worst and best, and where do they fall in the rest of the movies realm.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Best and Worst Video Game movies

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

One of the best was the first Mortal Kombat. I'll let this review speak for me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Agreed. One of the worst, if not the worst, was Doom.

Another of the good ones was In the Name of the King.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Street Fighter was pretty bad, as was the second Mortal Kombat. The first wasn't really good, but it was enjoyable in that mindless way. Tomb Raider was only barely made enjoyable by getting to watch Angelina run around in skin tight clothing. Never actually saw the second one. I go back n forth on the Mario Brothers, it was so bad, it might be good, depends on my mood.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The problem with Doom was its was named Doom. As a stand alone movie I enjoy it, the POV and final fight scene were both good. The characters were pretty well engaging. Plus the girl was cute and watching Dwayne Johnson get his ass kicked was a nice twist.

Mortal Kombat one was enjoyable as a kid watching those game characters come alive. The music was great and when I spent my summers at the Korean school growing up. We used to listen to the soundtrack when we spared. Made our Grandmaster upset more then once that we didn't train in silence when he was away. Though he never told us not to so looking back I think he gave us a break with it.

Worst ever has to go to Bloodrayne. Nothing could be worse then those movies.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I thought the POV scenes in Doom were disconcerting, and didn't translate nearly as well to film as the director thought they would - it just feels like they were left in simply because it was Doom.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I liked Doom's FPS sequence, primarily because it's something I've not seen done before.

A pity about the rest of the movie. And as an adaption of a video game, it's just atrocious. How hard is it to fuck up something as simple as "Space marines fighting demons from Hell on Mars"? Doom gets my vote.
Deepcrush wrote:Worst ever has to go to Bloodrayne. Nothing could be worse then those movies.
Not even the Mario Brothers movie? I've not seen it myself, but I've heard horrific things about it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

See, I don't think Doom was that bad. I mean, anything Uwe Bol has done is worse. House of the Dead is my absolute worst video game movie ever. Alone in the Dark is a very close second.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Movies by Uwe Boll are at the extreme bottom of the list. Deep, please challenge him to a fight?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Movies by Uwe Boll are at the extreme bottom of the list. Deep, please challenge him to a fight?
Why, I don't even know who he is...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Movies by Uwe Boll are at the extreme bottom of the list. Deep, please challenge him to a fight?
Why, I don't even know who he is...
He's the douche crap director that did FarCry, Alone In the Dark, Bloodrayne, and whole slew of other awful films. He offers to box anyone who doesn't like his movies. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Only seen trailers of bloodrayne. Never seen any of the others and never heard of him. Sounds like a nobody to me.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

I thought Wing Commander was a heaping pile of cow crap. Could have been a great series but the movie not only did not explain anything, it was just awfully acted and had awful special effects.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Shame too because they had some good actors on board and could have really made something of it.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:Shame too because they had some good actors on board and could have really made something of it.
Agreed. I liked parts of it, but overall, it was sub-par considering the budget and actors involved.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939