DITL Battle #9 Comments

Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

DITL Battle #9 Comments

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Alright here's the comments thread for the next battle.

I've been thinking about how to handle the Prometheus' MVAM. I've decided we're going to treat it like a cloak. On the turn you want to activate it, you cannot do anything else, and you must get a 7 on a 2D6+3. After it's separated, then we're just going to treat it like three ships.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: DITL Battle #9 Comments

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lt. Staplic wrote:Alright here's the comments thread for the next battle.

I've been thinking about how to handle the Prometheus' MVAM. I've decided we're going to treat it like a cloak. On the turn you want to activate it, you cannot do anything else, and you must get a 7 on a 2D6+3. After it's separated, then we're just going to treat it like three ships.
I assume we're operating as if the Norexean doesn't have the ability to fire when cloaked like the Scimitar?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Nope, we have no evidence to indicate that it can, (and based off the fact that it didn't that's some circumstantial evidence to suggest the opposite.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lt. Staplic wrote:Nope, we have no evidence to indicate that it can, (and based off the fact that it didn't that's some circumstantial evidence to suggest the opposite.
I know this isn't the place for a debate so if someone wants to kick this post to a more appropriate area, that's fine; BUT i actually have a half-a$$ed theory about that (but i think it's better than Magic Headbands). Could it be they didn't attack cloaked because 1. they didn't want to startle the Enterprise (and hailing them would have given away their cloaked position because I'd assume the Romulans have the ability to track their own frequencies to the the source) and then once they made their appearance they hoped to intimidate shinzon into surrendering and after that it just made it easier to coordinate with the Enterprise?
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

??? :confused:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:??? :confused:
What's the question?

I'm trying to argue that the Norexean may in fact have the magic Fire When Cloaked ability of the Scimitar even if we didn't see it used. Should it be rephrased?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sonic Glitch wrote:I know this isn't the place for a debate so if someone wants to kick this post to a more appropriate area, that's fine; BUT i actually have a half-a$$ed theory about that (but i think it's better than Magic Headbands). Could it be they didn't attack cloaked because 1. they didn't want to startle the Enterprise (and hailing them would have given away their cloaked position because I'd assume the Romulans have the ability to track their own frequencies to the the source) and then once they made their appearance they hoped to intimidate shinzon into surrendering and after that it just made it easier to coordinate with the Enterprise?
Or they can't fire while cloaked, which is consistent with what we observe of them, and would make them the same as every other cloak-capable ship we've ever seen with the exception of Chang's BoP and the Scimitar. Guess which one Occam's Razor chooses.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:I know this isn't the place for a debate so if someone wants to kick this post to a more appropriate area, that's fine; BUT i actually have a half-a$$ed theory about that (but i think it's better than Magic Headbands). Could it be they didn't attack cloaked because 1. they didn't want to startle the Enterprise (and hailing them would have given away their cloaked position because I'd assume the Romulans have the ability to track their own frequencies to the the source) and then once they made their appearance they hoped to intimidate shinzon into surrendering and after that it just made it easier to coordinate with the Enterprise?
Or they can't fire while cloaked, which is consistent with what we observe of them, and would make them the same as every other cloak-capable ship we've ever seen with the exception of Chang's BoP and the Scimitar. Guess which one Occam's Razor chooses.
Oh I understand the Occam's Razor argument I'm just playing devil's advocate and I believe Occam's Razor dictates the least-complicated solution is most likely the correct one, which is different from being the correct one. What in heaven's name is so wrong with the idea that advanced Romulan ships have the same cloaking device and some Commander's chose not to use it?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, they would have survived alot longer if they WERE cloaked and firing in the Scimitar fight.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Oh I understand the Occam's Razor argument I'm just playing devil's advocate and I believe Occam's Razor dictates the least-complicated solution is most likely the correct one, which is different from being the correct one.
Indeed, but given that we can't knock on the designer's door and ask whether the Valdore-types can fire while cloak, we have to base our conclusions on observations and logic. The former very strongly suggests that they can't, while the latter provides no evidence whatsoever that they can. Absence of evidence is evidence of absence, ergo the logical conclusion is that they can't.
What in heaven's name is so wrong with the idea that advanced Romulan ships have the same cloaking device and some Commander's chose not to use it?
The fact that it would makes said commanders grossly incompetent, primarily for the reason Mark gave.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

well regardless we're not going to allow the Norexean to fire while cloaked.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

So which one of us are you waiting on?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I sent mine in this morning 8)
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'm waiting on myself....I'll need time to run it...It was a miracle that I got time to post it yesterday, and to get on here today at all, but I'm currently studying for an AP Gov final so I'll get around to running the first phase after school tomorrow...should have a crap load of free time then.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I'm waiting on myself....I'll need time to run it...It was a miracle that I got time to post it yesterday, and to get on here today at all, but I'm currently studying for an AP Gov final so I'll get around to running the first phase after school tomorrow...should have a crap load of free time then.
Ah alright. Good luck on AP Gov. Those AP Exams are a God-Send when you get to college (assuming you do well enough to get credit :)). My school didn't offer AP Gov otherwise I would've taken that too