Andorians

The Next Generation
Jim
Captain
Captain

Andorians

Post by Jim »

What happened to the Andorians? They were prominent in ENT and even in TOS, but nearly/basically vanished from TNG, DS9 and obviously VOY...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Good question. Budget?

Maybe they turned out to be a bunch of jerks, and the Federation now assigns them all to cargo ships...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Or maybe, global warming melted their planet, and their population decreased dramatically... :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wouldn't that be 'galactic warming'? :wink:

As for the Andorians...
IIRC, we've heard of ships with all-Vulcan and all-human crews before. And even the Enterprise only had a handful of non-humans on board. It's possible that there may be a form of speciesism occuring, with various races being stationed on ships crewed almost exclusively by their race.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It's possible. But their absence is weird considering the central role backstory, and later Enterprise, gave them in the early history of the Federation. It has been claimed in non-canon sources that due to the complexity of Andorian mating, they have an extremely low birth rate, so that might account for their relative scarcity.

Outside the universe, I believe that they were never initially developed with as much detail or hsitory as the Vulcans were - anyone ever hear of a guy called Spock? - so the Vulcans became the favorite core Federation non-human species.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That actually makes some sense, in that a mostly Vulcan or Andorian, etc. crew could keep the majority of the ship at a certain comfortable environmental standard. Maybe it would save some power, and certainly it would improve morale/make things a lot less complicated.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Cause in the early 90s most fans would consider Andorians funny looking. Star Trek went more and more complex forehead makeup humanoids, the Andorians are different from all those. I'm honestly surprised they had them in Enterprise, and managed to make them not look like cheap 60s aliens.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

OPne of the few things I liked about Enterprise was its treatment of Andorians - and their willingness to portray the downside of the Vulcans.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. That's one of the few good things that came out of that series.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Well, actually they do appear several times in that era, though most of these 'appearances' consist mainly of offhand mentions. I'm pretty sure this was largely due to the TNG staff's dictum to avoid 'copying' TOS's worlds and species. In the early years, especially, the staff were especially insecure about this kind of thing; and even in later years, they were still reluctant to use any TOS elements if not absolutely necessary. :P
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

maybe the next generation, figured that the tellarites and andorians were a little crappy or camp
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Ozymandias
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Ozymandias »

I seem to recall that when one of the writers wanted to work in a Andorian into an episode of TNG, someone told them, "We don't do antenna". Unsure if this is true or not, nor where I heard this, but the writer created the Bolians to have someone blue in it.

They did once show an Andorian in TNG, as one of the choices of Lal. And it wasn't even blue. Anyway, I rather dislike this, as due to ENT Andorians are now tied with Tellarite for my favorite major Star Trek species. Oddly, another two blue species (Benzites and Bolians) are among my favorite minor ones. I guess I just like blue aliens. :P
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Who's your favorite Grand Admiral then? :P
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe Andorians choose not to join starfleet since it is not military enough for them and instaed have their own defence force.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I would have expected them to show up in the Dominion war...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...