Dragon Ball Z Abridged

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: Dragon Ball Z Abridged

Post by Lighthawk »

Is it just me, or the further they get into the Freeza saga, the more the abridged version is really becoming its own show? It's still funny and mocking the original, but they are really giving their own spin on the characters and events, even more so than the Saiyan saga. Vegeeta is even more of a badass in the abridged version than the original, and they gave Dadorria and Zarbon 10x the characterization the actual characters had. And their version of Freeza is actually a rather chilling (no pun intended) in his evilness. DBZ's Freeza was more of a superpowered jerk, just being evil because he was the designated villain. The abridged Freeza feels like much more of a proper villain.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yes it is, a lot like RvB did, at first it was just to make fun of the Halo series, but now it's actually really a good online show. Actually getting seriously deep.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lighthawk wrote:Is it just me, or the further they get into the Freeza saga, the more the abridged version is really becoming its own show? It's still funny and mocking the original, but they are really giving their own spin on the characters and events, even more so than the Saiyan saga. Vegeeta is even more of a badass in the abridged version than the original, and they gave Dadorria and Zarbon 10x the characterization the actual characters had. And their version of Freeza is actually a rather chilling (no pun intended) in his evilness. DBZ's Freeza was more of a superpowered jerk, just being evil because he was the designated villain. The abridged Freeza feels like much more of a proper villain.
The events still occur as they did, just exaggerated, as you said, times ten.

I'm loving it, personally. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tsukiyumi wrote:The events still occur as they did, just exaggerated, as you said, times ten.
It's more than just following the old story with exaggeration now though. They are really making the characters their own. Nail for example is absolutely nothing like the actual character, and is so much better for it.

They're also shifting some of the "why". Guru didn't give Krillin the dragonball because he thought Krillin could help. He did it because this Guru is a crazy old coot who hoped that giving up the ball would keep Krillin from stealing the tv Guru doesn't even have.

I also love their explanations for certain oddities. Why do Piccolo, Yamcha, Tien, and Chazu never learn the Kaioken or spirit bomb? DBZ never even bothers to give a reason. According to ADBZ, its because Yamcha pissed off King Kai over a translation mishap.
I'm loving it, personally. :lol:
Me too. It is frankly superior to the actual show in just about every way, and not just for being funny as hell. It is an over all better quality of writing.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I agree with that.

I keep checking the site to see if a new one is up.

Also, my Vegeta impersonation is at an all time best; I recorded a rambling, three minute message on a friend's phone a month back, and he honestly had no idea who'd left it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Mr. Popo is just plain awesome in this new version...

If you like DBZA, you'd probably also like Yu-Gi-Oh's Abridged Serie. It's bloody hilarious, and it has the bonus of being the first Abridged serie.

Naruto's is also funny, albeit inferior to those two.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

I think this latest one might have been my favorite since the Beam-o-War between Goku and Vegeeta. Vegeeta has been pretty rage fueled through out the series as it is, but he hit an epic new level of rage here, with a scream so loud it could be heard not only planet wide, not only through space, but into the afterlife and across time as well. And then his incoherent talk with Krillin just topped it off.

And as silly as it was, the running gag "I am an adult!" made me chuckle. Looking forward to see their take on the Ginyu force.

Also I had to laugh at Blue Popo, not so much for the bit they did on him though(funny as it was). But rather that he prompted me to google it to see what the hell it was all about, and then laugh at the stupidity of it all.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I loved it. The Ginyu should be hilarious; tons of comedic possibility there.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

"Son of a gum-chewing funk monster! Why the fruit does all this funny stuff happen to me?! Forget my life! Always surrounded by miserable failing clods! Like this whole world just likes to bend me over and find me in the Alps! Like I'm some sort of slot receptacle! Well as far as I care, these miserable cows can have a fancy barbeque, with a Goddamn pig!"

That is all. Thank you.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lighthawk wrote:"Son of a gum-chewing funk monster! Why the fruit does all this funny stuff happen to me?! Forget my life! Always surrounded by miserable failing clods! Like this whole world just likes to bend me over and find me in the Alps! Like I'm some sort of slot receptacle! Well as far as I care, these miserable cows can have a fancy barbeque, with a Goddamn pig!"

That is all. Thank you.
:lol:

It's so awesome.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Aye. So far the ginyu force is living up to my expectations for them. The fight with Rikum should be epic.
Uzume
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Uzume »

He was a prison............... Biiitch :laughroll:

LOVE IT
Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. - Anonymous
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

*Gets out his Necronomicon and preforms a bit of minor thread necromancy.*

Haven't had much to say about this series in a while, as it's been merely good and entertaining as opposed to its usual standard of outright hilarious and fucking amazing.

Well the latest episode has managed to climb back to the level of laughter induced pain, to the point that I'm having to restrain myself from throwing out quotes less I end up writing a transcript of the entire thing. This one was pretty much awesome start to finish, and I'm really hoping them can keep it up at this level for the Frieza fight.

Go team three four star!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I agree; for a while there, it wasn't as funny. This last one in particular has blasted back to hilarious.

"...First, immortality, then the bitches..."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Dragon Ball Z Kai Abridged...just awesome, the entire first season condensed to two minutes.