Size of torpedoes

Voyager
Chadic Garou
Crewman
Crewman

Size of torpedoes

Post by Chadic Garou »

I have a question. We know that not only the federation had torpedo launchers on their ships but also the romulans, klingons, cardassians and so on. When I'm looking for the size of a federation torpedo I can find it. But I've never found the size of romulan/klingon/cardassian torpedoes. Whether in technical books nor in the web. Are there any informations about the size of these torpedoes?
exCO USS Reliant-B (Stargazer Class)
exFCO 1st Fleet (http://www.trekrpg.de)
exManager Fleet Yards (http://www.flottenwerften.de.tl)
working in the Corps of Engineers (http://www.flottenwerften.de.tl)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Size of torpedoes

Post by Tyyr »

As far as I'm aware of we've never seen one.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Didn't we see one being modified by McCoy and Spock in STVI?

Beyond that, I've always assumed that they were roughly the same size as Spock's coffin and K'ehleyr's travel pod, as both of those things were designed to be fired from a standard torp tube. Supporting this, the TNG TM, while not canon, has one at a corroborating 2.1m long.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No, he's looking for the other species.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

We saw a Jem'Hadar torpedo in Starship Down - here. It's difficult to tell how big it is, as we don't know how much of it is still outside the hull, but it appears to be a similar diameter to a modern torpedo - about half a metre.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I would imagine they are of a similar size, simply because the phaser/disrupter tech of most species is so similar.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Do we have any good images of the torpedo tubes on the alien ships in question? That would at least give us a diameter to work with.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

AFAIK, only the ones from Klingon BOPs
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Mark wrote:AFAIK, only the ones from Klingon BOPs
And the Ktinga's from the movies.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well one thing we can say is that whilst the torpedo launch tubes on the front of the E-refit are oblong holes about 1.4 x 0.6 metres, the one on the front of the K'T'Inga is a round hole about 4.5 metres across. So Klingon torps may well be significantly larger.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Well one thing we can say is that whilst the torpedo launch tubes on the front of the E-refit are oblong holes about 1.4 x 0.6 metres, the one on the front of the K'T'Inga is a round hole about 4.5 metres across. So Klingon torps may well be significantly larger.
Which does make some sense. I think we've come to an agreement many times here that the klingons are less advanced than the Federation, but managed to be a threat by specializing in warfare, building rugged and tough, and using brute force in their weapons. So them having a bigger torpedo makes sense, they need the extra big warhead.
Chadic Garou
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Chadic Garou »

OK. I believe I've a problem. I'm working at the Glikar'ma Project (Glikar'ma is the andorian name for forrest spider). The Glikar'ma is a runabout similar a Danube, but with one changeable module for transport, recovery, hospital and so on. The new Glikar'ma should simulate own and foreign spaceships. A Hologenerator was used for changing designs. But who will believe that it's a klingon ship, if I'm firing federation torpedoes? The Module is L/B/H 10,0/6,0/4,5 Meters. To short for a launcher, but I could kick down a torpedo similar the Danube.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Lighthawk wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:Well one thing we can say is that whilst the torpedo launch tubes on the front of the E-refit are oblong holes about 1.4 x 0.6 metres, the one on the front of the K'T'Inga is a round hole about 4.5 metres across. So Klingon torps may well be significantly larger.
Which does make some sense. I think we've come to an agreement many times here that the klingons are less advanced than the Federation, but managed to be a threat by specializing in warfare, building rugged and tough, and using brute force in their weapons. So them having a bigger torpedo makes sense, they need the extra big warhead.
Whilst non canon, many of the TOS novels made the comment that Klingon ships significantly outgunned their Federation counterparts, whilst Federation ships had far stronger shielding designed to take those kinds of hits. It does fit the mentality of both sides, too.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Chadic Garou wrote:OK. I believe I've a problem. I'm working at the Glikar'ma Project (Glikar'ma is the andorian name for forrest spider). The Glikar'ma is a runabout similar a Danube, but with one changeable module for transport, recovery, hospital and so on. The new Glikar'ma should simulate own and foreign spaceships. A Hologenerator was used for changing designs. But who will believe that it's a klingon ship, if I'm firing federation torpedoes? The Module is L/B/H 10,0/6,0/4,5 Meters. To short for a launcher, but I could kick down a torpedo similar the Danube.
If I understand what you're saying correctly, such ships would be only really useful for short stealth raids.

Eg, a Glikar'ma vessel disguises itself as a Klingon Bird Of Prey with its holographics, flies casualy into a Klingon shipyard (for this they'd need knowledge of Klingon passcodes and routines), finds the biggest and juiciest target in the region, fires off a burst of torps and then slams its warp drives into action before the shipyard's defence forces realise what's happened and identified the target.
Or use the ship to get within range of a patrolling enemy cruiser and fire off a salvo of torps while its shields are down.

If you wanted it to copy a Klingon ship in a brief engagement, however (for S31-style raids intended to implicate other powers), then you've a couple of options.

1) Fit one of the holographic devices on the torpedoes. This'll make it look like a Klingon torp, but it won't stand up to a detailed investigation since it will most likely leave some evidence that it was a Fed torp.

2) Attatch an external rack to the outside of the ship, upon which are mounted a handful of actual Klingon torpedoes. When the holographic image shows the ship firing a torp, simply fire one of the torps on the rack out at the target. This is a more expensive option, but it'll appear to even the most observant of investigators that it was a Klingon ship which was responsible for the attack.

The idea actually me a good bit of the Mimic Engines used by some Dark Eldar ships in the 40K-verse. They ran into much the same problems as well.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Chadic Garou
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Chadic Garou »

Nice ideas. Officially this Glikar'ma is only a school vessel. Federation don't fire at first and so on ...
For covered actions the attacker could be a Klingon vessel and after a raid no one would think it was a Federation vessel.
For school purpose a holographic device directly fit in a torpedo is the simpliest way, thanks.
But I don't see how to install extern racks. The "standard" Glikar'ma had a maximum warp at 7,2 - to slow to imitate faster ships. So I will double the warp nacelles with a second warp core. With this power I should reach Warp 9, but there is no place for some racks. If Klingon torpedoes had a diameter of 4,5 meters, their length should be more than 10 meters (or the klingon torpedoes were fired as barrels of waterbombs ...). So the torpedoes are too long for my Glikar'ma.
The "standard" Glikar'ma with the un-tested Module "F2" had a load of 20 torpedoes on 5 racks in the module. These racks also could be installed in the new Glikar'ma.