1 TB 2.5" hard drives

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

1 TB 2.5" hard drives

Post by McAvoy »

Western Digital 2.5" 1 TB Internal Hard Drive

Has anyone bought this thing yet? I am asking because it's thicker than you normal 2.5" hard drive. 9.5mm vs. 12.5mm. I have a HP dv7 series laptop. My laptop comes with two hard drive bays and I would like to replace the 'spare' hard drive with one of the above. Right now I have two 500 GB hard drives for my laptop. The 'spare' one is almost full.

Before anyone asks, yes I have two external 1 TB Seagate 2.5" hard drives for backup and storage. I would like to have more space on the computer as opposed to carrying three externals.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Laughing Man
Ensign
Ensign

Re: 1 TB 2.5" hard drives

Post by Laughing Man »

I'm always looking for space, ATM this is my pipe dream.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/03/31 ... my_book_3/

I'm only running USB 2, But if i got a new computer . . .

(See why this is a pipe dream?)
Heck Is Where People Go Who Don't Believe In Golly!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

So I Have been doing some research on it. Based on the reviews on it so far, you can't put in a PS3 but MAC unibodies can fit it in. Also, I forgot what website I used, but it basically told me that it is possible.

My laptop is large and the last time I looked inside the two hard drive bays, it's fairly large. I never measured it because at the time it was for fitting in a 500 GB drive which was of standard size.

While installing the new hard drive into the spare one should be simple affair if it fits. I am curious on how I can install the 1 TB into the one with operating system on it. I would like to have Windows 7 instead of Vista. Would I have to pay full price to have Windows 7 installed onto the new hard drive as opposed to upgrading from Vista to 7 on the old one?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Are you swapping out the drives or are you keeping the original and adding a second?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Both actually. Because we're talking about $200 a piece, I'll get them one at a time. So the first one will replace the one already in the spare hard drive bay. The second one will replace the main one with the operating system.

I don't like carrying around too much stuff with my laptop. I already have two external 2.5" 1 TB hard drives (one of them crashed, lost everything). I am in a job where space is a premium