Worst ship design in sci-fi?

Everything else
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Captain Seafort wrote:A Toyota, definately. Anything that can survive Clarkson giving it abuse must be bloody tough.
What you mean the Hilux...that thing was amazing....

You know i'll ignore all this and end up with...some old little Renault or something for my first car.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

At which point you should kick your own ass! :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Tried doing that once, ended up kicking dad XD
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Reliant121 wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:
*Comparing to an Aging Hyundai Lantra, you gotta admit that the Focus is a step upwards*
I work for the Government fool! I don't have to admit anything! 8)

If you are looking for a long lived car then try a Saturn, much better and cheaper then the ford focus. Only buy ford trucks!
I forget..you are an American...you have completely alien cars to me...a long living car here would be...lets see...possibly an old Honda or a Toyota perhaps...
Blah, I always prefer Chevys and Dodges.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:
Deepcrush wrote: I work for the Government fool! I don't have to admit anything! 8)

If you are looking for a long lived car then try a Saturn, much better and cheaper then the ford focus. Only buy ford trucks!
I forget..you are an American...you have completely alien cars to me...a long living car here would be...lets see...possibly an old Honda or a Toyota perhaps...
Blah, I always prefer Chevys and Dodges.
Muscle cars....*Shudder*
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Looks like the bolt exploded. There could be a fighter in its shadow. Or the bolt struck a piece of debris, or it is a result of the bolt being defused from long range. Star Wars weapons tend to have very short ranges.
How exactly does a bolt of pure energy explode? Where is this mystical object beneath the fighter in the previous two frames? Or maybe the bolt did exactly what it looks like and splintered against a shield.

As for the "short range" bit, where did you get that from? SW weapons have ranges of thousands of kilometres - tens of millions of kilometres in the case of HTLs.
The TIEs have no shields, minimal weapons, no FTL propulsion, minimal armour, and short range. The only advantage it has is its agility and cheapness.
Their weapons are enough to tke out an X- or Y-wing in a few shots - that's good enough for me. It also has the advantage of giving its pilot a decent space suit. As for shields, that's what we're discussing, and you've got plain evidence of shielding in the screencaps above.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Their weapons are enough to tke out an X- or Y-wing in a few shots - that's good enough for me. It also has the advantage of giving its pilot a decent space suit. As for shields, that's what we're discussing, and you've got plain evidence of shielding in the screencaps above.
With as much as it bugs me to do so I must agree with Seafort, we do see "a" TIE that ''appears'' to have shields. Why don't we ever see this in other places is now a fair question. Regardless, we see only one TIE with shields, there for this craft is not the norm and not a point of judgement for the craft over all. It does however show us they TIEs "can" have sheilds but for cost sake don't normally equip them.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If I may jump in.

While the video clip just looks like gas venting from part of the fighter, the second one is quite clearly demonstrative of some sort of shield system.
I think, during the ESB asteroid chase scene, there was a shot of a small asteroid hitting a TIE fighter, and going up in a blue/white flash, leaving the fighter pretty alright.
Deep wrote:I also have to comment that I haven't seen any TIEs take the same amount of damage that a X-wing can take.
Like what? We see both TIEs and X-Wings getting blasted to pieces in single shots from opposing fighters, regardless of shields. The only time I recall seeing a fighter survive a direct hit was when Wedge's figther took a glancing hit when Vader shot at him during the Trench Run. During that same run, we see both X-Wings and supposedly stronger Y-Wings getting blown to shreds in single shots, despite their shields.
Blackstar wrote:There could be a fighter in its shadow.
There isn't. You can see the area behind it quite clearly in the preceding shots. Also, the bolt exploded far too close to the camera to have hit something dozens of metres behind it. You can see the interior of the TIE's panels lighting up as the bolt detonates between them.
Or the bolt struck a piece of debris,
Again, there's no such debris to be seen. Space is clear in the preceeding shots.
or it is a result of the bolt being defused from long range.
How can you defuse an energy bolt? :?
Star Wars weapons tend to have very short ranges.
Uh, no they don't. What makes you think that? We have info on them being able to shoot targets light-minutes away (ROTS:ICS).
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Like what? We see both TIEs and X-Wings getting blasted to pieces in single shots from opposing fighters, regardless of shields. The only time I recall seeing a fighter survive a direct hit was when Wedge's figther took a glancing hit when Vader shot at him during the Trench Run. During that same run, we see both X-Wings and supposedly stronger Y-Wings getting blown to shreds in single shots, despite their shields.
Its off of what we have seen. We have seen these craft survive hits in the past. We have not seen the same of TIEs. Also, werent' their sheild double front because of the TLs in front of them? I dont' remember them ever switching them back.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

light minutes? I've never seen that. Most sources have maximum ranges of 100-1000km. The longest range was 77,000km from when the Death Star destroyed Alderaan.
Muscle cars....*Shudder*
Real power!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Its off of what we have seen. We have seen these craft survive hits in the past. We have not seen the same of TIEs. Also, werent' their sheild double front because of the TLs in front of them? I dont' remember them ever switching them back.
Gold Leader (or Gold Five - can't remember which) ordered them to "stabilise rear deflectors" as soon as the TL fire stopped - they were shielded when Vader's flight attacked.

We have seen TIEs survive hits - in the image above and the ESB asteroid scene Rochey mentions.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:light minutes? I've never seen that. Most sources have maximum ranges of 100-1000km. The longest range was 77,000km from when the Death Star destroyed Alderaan.
RotS: ICS The Venator-class Star Destroyer's HTLs have a maximum range of 10 light minutes.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Should we consider that there are two types of TIE/f or maybe they all have very poor sheilds?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Its off of what we have seen. We have seen these craft survive hits in the past. We have not seen the same of TIEs. Also, werent' their sheild double front because of the TLs in front of them? I dont' remember them ever switching them back.
Gold Leader (or Gold Five - can't remember which) ordered them to "stabilise rear deflectors" as soon as the TL fire stopped - they were shielded when Vader's flight attacked.

We have seen TIEs survive hits - in the image above and the ESB asteroid scene Rochey mentions.
That bolt never got close. I don't know what it hit, but it wasn't the fighter. I don't know why the shield would cover that area even if it had them.

In both cases it's possible they had specially shielded TIEs to go through astroid belts, as I believe the first one was near the Aldaraan debris field while the second was in the Hoth asteroid belt
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:light minutes? I've never seen that. Most sources have maximum ranges of 100-1000km. The longest range was 77,000km from when the Death Star destroyed Alderaan.
RotS: ICS The Venator-class Star Destroyer's HTLs have a maximum range of 10 light minutes.
I have never heard that kind of range in any other Star Wars canon. (that's over 1 billion Kilometers).

One mention is hardly enough to convince me. The cross-sections have never been that accurate anyway. I wouldn't trust them so easily if I were you. Even the Death Star did not have that kind of range.