PS3s Suffering From Global Network Lockdown

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

PS3s Suffering From Global Network Lockdown

Post by Nutso »

All around the world, PlayStation 3 consoles simply aren't working like they're supposed to, with a PlayStation Network error preventing people from not just going online, but from playing some PS3 games offline as well.

From Europe to the Americas to, well, my house in Australia, users (mostly of older "Fat" consoles, those released before 2009's "PS3 Slim") are complaining that upon booting their consoles up, they're unable to sign into their accounts, check their trophies, use dynamic themes or access the PlayStation Network. That's fine, Sony say there are PSN connection problems, and that they are "looking into it".

Problem is, the error does more than just prevent you from going online. It prevents you from playing certain games offline as well. The screen above is what I was greeted with when attempting to play Heavy Rain, and pressing out of it simply reboots the PS3, returning you to the main menu screen. It's the same story for other games that feature dynamic trophy support.

Sony say "stay tuned" for updates on the problem. In turn, we've emailed Sony for comment and will update if we hear anything more.

While theories abound that this has something to do with the calendar (some users are reporting their date/time settings have been reset), bear in mind Sony has redesigned its PlayStation website over the weekend, so it's likely the result of some tinkering under the hood for the PlayStation Network.

Whichever it is, though, you have to wonder at the design process that turns a network outage into something stopping you from playing an offline, singleplayer title.
http://kotaku.com/5482328/ps3s-sufferin ... k-lockdown

X-Box nerds rejoice? :poke:
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: PS3s Suffering From Global Network Lockdown

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Somewhere, Bill Gates is cackling.

To the Computers and Gaming forum for you.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

but from playing some PS3 games offline as well.
How would this work if you aren't connected to the net to begin with?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

stitch626 wrote:
but from playing some PS3 games offline as well.
How would this work if you aren't connected to the net to begin with?
Is that even allowable?
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Well if the machine hasn't connected to the whole ps network thingy then it can't get the update/ self destruct signal can it, unless of course Sony have a wireless network secretly running in the background somewhere :worried:

Oh yeah and take that PS3 loving f**kers - 360 rules -
(Hang on whats that circle of red lights on front of my console...)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Some games require certain content from online to function. If you have no net connection you likely aren't playing them to begin with.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think theres a programming thing in PS3 consoles that, once the console is aware that a game has an update, It WONT run the older non-updated version. Not sure, something I read...somewhere.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote:Some games require certain content from online to function. If you have no net connection you likely aren't playing them to begin with.
Wow, someone actually thought that the Steam method was a good idea? :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

lol, my PS3 has been gathering dust for over a year.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, the wisdom of never buying one in the first place. 8) :P
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Ah, the wisdom of never buying one in the first place. 8) :P
:wave:

Last console I bought was the Super Nintendo. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:Ah, the wisdom of never buying one in the first place. 8) :P
:wave:

Last console I bought was the Super Nintendo. :lol:
I still own my NES from 1987. Still gets use, too.

What is the 'Steam Method;, pray tell?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

"Steam" is an insidious pile of corporate crap that they've tried to force on people to prevent piracy. Your computer has to link to the Steam network in order to activate a game you bought.

Nice try, arseholes! :pirate:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:"Steam" is an insidious pile of corporate crap that they've tried to force on people to prevent piracy. Your computer has to link to the Steam network in order to activate a game you bought.

Nice try, arseholes! :pirate:
Actually I enjoy Steam. It makes it easy to find games that are no longer in production and it works fine in offline mode. Its also has no effect on piracy. If a person uses Steam, it doesn't prevent them from pirating... it only means they have another program on their computer.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well... makes me glad i don't really play video games anymore, then.