Season 3 (nBSG)

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Season 3 (nBSG)

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, when he was head of the Union on New Caprica he had resigned from the military, so there was no conflict there.
In this instance, yes, there was indeed a conflict.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Exactly the problem I've got with this episode. On New Caprica he was a civillian again, and I SUPPOSE the colonies no longer considered itself in a state of war. It just didn't seem to me like a very well thought out episode.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I think it's an example of a running theme in BSG, which is that they just don't have the ability to do things the "proper" way any more. They're in an impossible situation which is just getting worse and worse and worse for them, they're still losing people constantly, and they just don't have enough people to do all the things that need doing. It would be nice if somebody else could lead the union, but the Chief is the guy who has the trust of the workers, and nobody else does. It would be nice if he could leave his Galactica job to do it, but nobody else has the skill and experience he does.

And this is exactly why their journey thus far has involved frequent breakdowns in military discipline and political control of the fleet, often with far reaching and ongoing consequences.

I don't think it's at all that they haven't thought of the conflicts this kind of thing creates, I think their whole point is "yeah, this creates conflicts, and they blunder through them as best they can because they're just stuck with it."

And if there's one thing I love about BSG, that's it; people screw up, all the time, and they have to keep going regardless.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But what about that first yutz that Adama locked up....he was doing the same thing as Tyrell, but Tyrell had ADAMA's trust as well.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Adama is very often influenced in his actions by how much he likes the people involved.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

As Adama points out when the Chief's mook gets locked up, he needs him to keep the fighters running, so the Chief gets extra slack because no one else has the knowledge.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I've got a superbly dumb question.

On Adama's anniversary, Private "whatshisface" brings him coffee. All the colonials seem to be eating normal food, but wasn't the Chief quoted as saying "That alge is gonna be breakfast, lunch, and dinner until we find a hot fudge planet"? Where the hell are they STILL getting coffee three years after the destruction of the colonies.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's Private Jaffe. :P

There's a botanical ship in the fleet. I'd always assumed that they were growing certain commodities (such as coffee), but that it was only available to the higher-ups like Adama and Roslin.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Sionnach Glic wrote:It's Private Jaffe. :P

There's a botanical ship in the fleet. I'd always assumed that they were growing certain commodities (such as coffee), but that it was only available to the higher-ups like Adama and Roslin.

If they're withholding coffee..........I'm surprised the strike took as long as it did. :worried:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, the Gideon Massacre (when Tigh ordered marines over to a ship who then began shooting people) happened when troops were sent over to get a supply of coffee that was being witheld. So it does seem that it was running low even at that fairly early point.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

No morning coffee? Now there is a reason for insubordination if there ever was one. Inconceivable!
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I was just watching The Oath (a series 4 episode) and Tigh, upon being offered a cup by Adama, comments that he's lost the taste for it since they started watering it down with algae juice.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I would have hoped being responsible for a civilian massacre over coffee beans would have been enough to put him off.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:I would have hoped being responsible for a civilian massacre over coffee beans would have been enough to put him off.
I'd say thats really the fault of the tool he sent over in command of the team. Yeah, as CO at the time, Tigh bears ultimate responsibility but he didn't exactly tell the officer to start gunning down civvies.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

IIRC, the civilians started throwing things at the marines, one soldier opened fire, the rest followed and chaos ensued. Not exactly Tigh's fault, though as Kendall points out he does bear some responsibility.