4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Suck Just Got Suckier

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fox developing U.S. version of 'Torchwood'
Original producing team on board to adapt U.K. series

By James Hibberd

Jan 19, 2010, 10:00 AM ET
Huge news for sci-fi fans: Fox is developing a stateside version of the U.K. hit series "Torchwood."

The project is from BBC Worldwide Prods., with original series creator Russell Davies writing the script.

A more straight-faced spinoff of "Doctor Who," "Torchwood" is about a covert group that investigates and fights alien activity. Two series aired domestically on BBC America as well as last year's well reviewed stand-alone miniseries, "Children of Earth," which broke all ratings records for the network.

Unlike U.S. adaptations that have gone awry, "Torchwood" fans can take comfort that the original producing team is on board. In addition to Davies, exec producers include Davies' producing partner Julie Gardner (former head of drama at BBC Wales for the show's first season) and Jane Tranter (another BBC vet, now exec vp programming and production at BBC Worldwide Prods. in the U.S.).

Also, some of the current cast -- most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Capt. Jack Harkness -- might star if Fox orders "Torchwood" to pilot.

As for the new show's plot, the U.S. version will contain a global story line compared to the more localized sensibility of the first two BBC seasons.

Tranter might try to reboot "Doctor Who" for U.S. audiences while departing "Doctor Who" star David Tennant stars in NBC's pilot "Rex Is Not Your Lawyer." "Torchwood" (which is an anagram of "Doctor Who") debuted in 2006 on BBC 3 and set ratings records, then was moved to BBC 1. Russell also reinvented "Doctor Who" in 2003 and was writer-creator of the series "Queer as Folk."
Given that the vast majority of attempts to Americanise good British TV shows end in spectacularly bad failures, I can't even begin to imagine what the results will be when they try and Americanise a bad British TV show.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Suck Just Got Suckier

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always had a soft spot for Torchwood. It's not without its problems to be sure, but it always held together and worked for me.

I hope they don't reinvent/reboot the series so much as give us "The US branch" of Torchwood.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Torchwood certainly picked up as it went on, but I can't say I'd consider it a good show.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Torchwood certainly picked up as it went on, but I can't say I'd consider it a good show.
I would, at least by the time series 3 came along.
GrahamKennedy wrote:I hope they don't reinvent/reboot the series so much as give us "The US branch" of Torchwood.
The US branch of an organisation that considers itself the last bastion of the Empire? :lol: That should be... interesting.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Captain Seafort wrote:I would, at least by the time series 3 came along.
You have a point there. Series 3 was quite good.
Captain Seafort wrote:The US branch of an organisation that considers itself the last bastion of the Empire? That should be... interesting.
Well, you could have it work by having Torchwood America acting as a sleeper cell, waiting for the right moment to unleash the hidden alien tech they control and bring the US to ruin in preparation or the rise of the Empire once more.

I have a feeling that the colonials may not go for it, though...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sionnach Glic wrote:Well, you could have it work by having Torchwood America acting as a sleeper cell, waiting for the right moment to unleash the hidden alien tech they control and bring the US to ruin in preparation or the rise of the Empire once more.
What do you think Torchwood 4's job is? :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well the whole "we don't have an Empire... yet" thing was the London branch only. Torchwood Cardiff has never gone in for that stuff.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:Torchwood Cardiff has never gone in for that stuff.
They certainly did - it's only Jack's 21st century Torchwood (literally - 00:00 1st January 2000 onwards) that has been somewhat independent. Before that they were typical Torchwood.

Moreover Torchwood One was the Institute's HQ - you'd expect them to set the tone for the organisation.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
They certainly did - it's only Jack's 21st century Torchwood (literally - 00:00 1st January 2000 onwards) that has been somewhat independent. Before that they were typical Torchwood.

Moreover Torchwood One was the Institute's HQ - you'd expect them to set the tone for the organisation.
They did, in the past, but not any more. They said as much to the Doctor.
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

IanKennedy wrote:They did, in the past, but not any more. They said as much to the Doctor.
And in doing so made clear that Torchwood Three is Torchwood in name only. Jack rebuilt it from the ground up, based on his own version of the Doctor's ideas, as what was effectively a completely separate organisation. It neither answered to nor was controlled by Torchwood One, even before the Battle of Canary Wharf.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:They did, in the past, but not any more. They said as much to the Doctor.
And in doing so made clear that Torchwood Three is Torchwood in name only. Jack rebuilt it from the ground up, based on his own version of the Doctor's ideas, as what was effectively a completely separate organisation. It neither answered to nor was controlled by Torchwood One, even before the Battle of Canary Wharf.
Yes, but the idea is to do a Torchwood series in the US. Not a Torchwood One series, a remake of the current version of Torchwood (the program).
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

IanKennedy wrote:Yes, but the idea is to do a Torchwood series in the US. Not a Torchwood One series, a remake of the current version of Torchwood (the program).
I wasn't responding to the idea of a US Torchwood series per se, but to the concept of a "US branch" of the Torchwood Institute.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
They certainly did
When?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Pretty much their entire history up to 31 December 1999. Jack was recruited in the late 19th century by a Torchwood Three that very much resembled the bastion of the Empire created in "Tooth and Claw" and later seen in "AoG/Doomsday". It was shown in flashback in "Fragments", the penultimate episode of series 2.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Pretty much their entire history up to 31 December 1999. Jack was recruited in the late 19th century by a Torchwood Three that very much resembled the bastion of the Empire created in "Tooth and Claw" and later seen in "AoG/Doomsday". It was shown in flashback in "Fragments", the penultimate episode of series 2.
Yeah, I'd pretty much expect Torchwood to be in favour of the Empire when there was an Empire. But since say the 1950s, there's nothing to indicate that they had the same nonsense that the London Torchwood did.