Caption Credited to Me

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Frankie Chestnuts
Petty officer second class

Caption Credited to Me

Post by Frankie Chestnuts »

I just saw an entry on today's Caption Comp that was posted with my name:

Geordie: "Waaaaait a minute!"
Ensign: "Why?"
Geordie: "I really need a poo!"
Ensign: "Do it on me, it might thaw me out!"

While I am not below using "poo" references, this is just a little too gross for my taste and was not posted by me.

Anyone familiar with my posts knows that I'm a fan of tasteless, not gross. Plus, I wouldn't spell Geordi incorrectly. Please remove and block if possible.

Thanks. Frankie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Caption Credited to Me

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's possible that someone else may use the same screen-name as yourself. It's a big internet, after all.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Frankie Chestnuts

Certainly. But if you had gone into the Caption Comp for the first time, and you saw someone three entries down with the same screen name as yours, wouldn't you pick a different screen name?

I know there are a lot of stupid people out on the Internet. But personally, I would want the credit for all the stupid things I do.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps he didn't check. I rarely check. If I want to make an entry then I just type up what I want.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

For someone like Mark, Mikey or even me, it might be a legitimate other person; but "Frankie Chestnuts" seems like such a distinctive name, I think the odds are on it being a troll. I used to post on a forum with no registration, and it went through periods of intense trolling where I was constantly having to disclaim that I hadn't written things.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It seems a rather weak attempt, though. Surely if he wanted to get someone in trouble he would, say, include a racial slur in the caption? Making a mildly unpleasant joke is a rather meek attempt.

Also, if it were really a troll, you'd expect him to use the name of a more well known member of the board, such as Teaos, Seafort or myself, instead of the username of someone with just 6 posts.

I dunno. It just seems rather odd to me.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

unless it was someone that Frankie knows...maybe they weren't trying to get him in trouble so much as just poke a little fun, someone he knows that also knows he's a user here and his screen name.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
RedDwarfian

Post by RedDwarfian »

Sionnach Glic wrote:It seems a rather weak attempt, though. Surely if he wanted to get someone in trouble he would, say, include a racial slur in the caption? Making a mildly unpleasant joke is a rather meek attempt.

Also, if it were really a troll, you'd expect him to use the name of a more well known member of the board, such as Teaos, Seafort or myself, instead of the username of someone with just 6 posts.

I dunno. It just seems rather odd to me.
Granted, however I know the real Frankie Chestnuts, seeing as he's my father. Admittedly, neither of us are particularly active on the forum, but we are particularly active on the caption competition.

I'll admit, it was rather baffling that someone would attempt to defame my father with a rather disgusting caption. As he said, he'll do tasteless in a heartbeat, but gross is not his forte. However, it occurs to me that if we remove logic from the equation, we might have a reason: In the past few weeks, Mr. Chestnuts is very active in the caption competition and has recently become a bit of a celebrity there, winning 10 honorable mentions in the Ferengi/Porthos pic alone. Additionally, I noted the following caption from the week with the vulcan axe man:
Exhibit A wrote:Graham Kennedy, for forsaking this caption competition by allowing only those registered to your site to vote, therefore allowing the same handful of unfunny people with the same bad captions win, week after week, you are sentenced to death, by beheading, or at least, neck chafing, via this large austentatious Vulcan weapon.
There are certainly some sour grapes out there, and it is not out of the realm of possibilities that someone would attempt to defame him.

Additionally, I don't know anybody who has the kind of scatalogical sense of humor to post that caption. We know plenty of people in our family and outside who share our sick sense of humor.
What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

~Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

What's wrong with the word poo? It's a very childish word here for something perfectly natural. It's what a child would say if they wanted to go to the toilet. I'm perfectly happy to leave it there as it's a pain in my neck to remove them. If it were in anyway defamatory to a person then I would think about it, but, as it is it's utterly harmless.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I don't think the issue is with the word itself, puerile though it may be. Rather, I believe the "real" Frankie's point is more the fact that he wouldn't use scatological humor at all, no matter what terminology were used.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Well unless a lot of people vote for it then it will be gone by the end of the week. This weeks CC will run until this Sunday as xmas got in the way.
email, ergo spam
Frankie Chestnuts

I have no problem with the word "poo" or "crap" or "shit" for that matter. It is the particular reference of someone pooing on someone else.

You are perfectly correct in that it will be gone in a week. Thanks for hearing me out.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Still yet Frankie, I can relate......its rather irking to have somebody pretend to be you. Not to long ago, I left my computer at work unsecured. I came back to find all sorts of various off the wall sex searches having been done, and all my allotable "quota" time used up. Pissed me off to no end. Nothing ever came of it, but still......................
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.