New Build

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

New Build

Post by LaughingCheese »

Hey all,

I'm building a new desktop and I was wondering if its absolutely necessary to have thermal paste or will just the heat sink and fan due?

Thanks

LC
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Thermal Paste?

Post by Nickswitz »

If the parts are new, then the paste is already on the heatsink, or it was for mine.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

If they're separate components, not already joined, then yes I'd say its necessary.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

I see. I guess they are 'separate' components, as you since I got it retail and the box comes with the CPU, heat sink and fan separately. :p

Its an AMD Phenom II 545 3Ghz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103694
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Then no, you shouldn't have to, look at the bottom of the heat sink, if it has a couple white lines on the heat sink, then no, you don't have to apply it...
The world ended

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Well, the computer is all assembled and everything.

Just installing XP Pro 32-bit right now.

Formatting the NTFS partition now, 51% complete!!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

LaughingCheese wrote:Hey all,

I'm building a new desktop and I was wondering if its absolutely necessary to have thermal paste or will just the heat sink and fan due?

Thanks

LC
If the heat sink in new it should have a layer of paste already on it. If you're moving it from another machine or reusing it after a CPU upgrade then you must put some more on. The paste forms a thermal link between the chip and the heat sink, without it your cooling will be pretty inadequate.
email, ergo spam
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

IanKennedy wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:Hey all,

Thanks

LC
If the heat sink in new it should have a layer of paste already on it. If you're moving it from another machine or reusing it after a CPU upgrade then you must put some more on. The paste forms a thermal link between the chip and the heat sink, without it your cooling will be pretty inadequate.
As I said, its all built now, so kind of late for that. :p

Anyway, I'm having another issue now. It was working fine for a day or so, got XP installed and everything.

Then I went to install my video card and tried to boot up, but nothing happened. No lights, no fans, absolutely nothing.

I think its either a PSU issue or mobo issue. I really hope its not a mobo problem (as in fried mobo). XD

I guess the only thing I can really do is change out the psu with another one and see if that works?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: New Build

Post by Nickswitz »

Does it work if you take out the graphics card, if so what type is it, PCI. PCI-Express, if it's Express you may need to plug an extra power cord to the mobo... I have seen computers that need it plugged in to work with a PCI-Express card inserted.
The world ended

USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Remove your video card. Check all your power leads. Make sure you have the 24 pin power connection and the 12v power connection plugged in. Did it work before you plugged in the video card? If you are still having problems replace the psu if you have another and make sure your cpu heat sink is properly seated. If that isn't it, use one ram stick at a time and see if that works for any of the modules. If THAT isn't it, I would guess its the motherboard :)
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

USSEnterprise wrote:Remove your video card. Check all your power leads. Make sure you have the 24 pin power connection and the 12v power connection plugged in. Did it work before you plugged in the video card? If you are still having problems replace the psu if you have another and make sure your cpu heat sink is properly seated.
LC wrote:It was working fine for a day or so, got XP installed and everything.
:lol:

Yes it did work before I plugged in the video card, it was about a day before I went to install the video card.
If that isn't it, use one ram stick at a time and see if that works for any of the modules. If THAT isn't it, I would guess its the motherboard :)
Crap... :bangwall: I REALLY hope its not that, but I have a feeling it might be...xd
Does it work if you take out the graphics card, if so what type is it, PCI. PCI-Express, if it's Express you may need to plug an extra power cord to the mobo... I have seen computers that need it plugged in to work with a PCI-Express card inserted.
Oops, now that I did leave out...

PNY 9800GTX+ 512MB, PCI-Express x16 2.0

I know it needed a separate 6-pin power cord, which I had with the psu, and plugged that in, so I don't think that was the issue. xd
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Is your power supply switch switched to on? Have you tried to turn it on from the motherboard itself? What power supply do you have? It may not have enough wattage and/or amps on the 12v rail.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

USSEnterprise wrote:Is your power supply switch switched to on? Have you tried to turn it on from the motherboard itself?

Yes and yes.

I just tested it recently and it is definitely dead.

The major concern now is hopefully nothing else got damaged.
What power supply do you have? It may not have enough wattage and/or amps on the 12v rail.
Apevia 680W Beast.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Apevia isn't a very good psu brand. The 9800 GTX needs at least 26 amps on the 12v rail, I think your current one has 22 or so.

I would recommend this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139005

You could get away with a lower wattage one as well if you don't plan on going with SLI or major overclocking. Corsair and Antec are good brands though.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

USSEnterprise wrote:Apevia isn't a very good psu brand. The 9800 GTX needs at least 26 amps on the 12v rail, I think your current one has 22 or so.
lol, that's what I'm hearing all over the place. :p
I would recommend this... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139005

You could get away with a lower wattage one as well if you don't plan on going with SLI or major overclocking. Corsair and Antec are good brands though.
How about this one, although I don't plan on going SLI anytime soon:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139004