The Infiltrator

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Seafort wrote:It depends on which phase cloak technology you're using. While the Romulan version left the cloaked object cloaked until action was taken to de-cloak it, the Federation version, seen in "The Pegasus", worked the same way as a normal cloak. The reason the eponymous ship turned up at all was that the cloak's power failed, causing it to de-cloak immediately, and partialy fuse with the asteroid it was passing through at the time.
Which is precisely my point. On a Federation prototype super-advanced ship, they're going be using Federation technology, not Romulan. So it would decloak when out of the cloaking field. They're going use the clearly better Federation technology than somewhat unreliable impossible-to-decloak Romulan rubish :wink:
Also as this ship is a lot more advanced than the Scimitar, it is very arguable that it would have the ability to fire from cloak, and phase cloak at that. Obviously for story purposes I am more than willing to let it pass, though. :wink:

Just make sure the real writers don't hear that or they'll have a field day!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just make sure the real writers don't hear that or they'll have a field day!
:o You mean they actually give a damn?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

If it's out of phase how would a weapon hit it? I'd pass straight through. I once read a versus fanfic (Conquest) that had an amusing scene of an Admiral nearly pissing himself when a turbolaser bolt passed right through the bridge of his phased-cloaked ship. That's how I'd imagine weapons to act.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Seafort wrote:If it's out of phase how would a weapon hit it? I'd pass straight through. I once read a versus fanfic (Conquest) that had an amusing scene of an Admiral nearly pissing himself when a turbolaser bolt passed right through the bridge of his phased-cloaked ship. That's how I'd imagine weapons to act.
It wouldn't hit the ship. That's why the ship would be even more invincible than it's already borg-tactical-cube-esque.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Precisely. Whether or not you have the Federation "active" style or the Romulan "passive" style phased is phased. In either scenario, wepaons will react to targets as in "The Next Phase" - and presumably, vice verse.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote:Precisely. Whether or not you have the Federation "active" style or the Romulan "passive" style phased is phased. In either scenario, wepaons will react to targets as in "The Next Phase" - and presumably, vice verse.
The phase cloak only phases the ship within a certain range. Once a torpedo leaves that range, it would de-phase and become "normal".
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You're probably correct. To play devil's advocate, though, it could be based on time away from the cloak rather than distance - if so, a high-velocity launch might render the torp ineffective. If it is the other way around, you have a minimum firing distance - hopefully it's not really much farther than the collateral damage radius of your torp (which you wouldn't enter in any event.)
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote:You're probably correct. To play devil's advocate, though, it could be based on time away from the cloak rather than distance - if so, a high-velocity launch might render the torp ineffective. If it is the other way around, you have a minimum firing distance - hopefully it's not really much farther than the collateral damage radius of your torp (which you wouldn't enter in any event.)
But that's just silly :lol:
Once it leaves the range of the cloaking field, the torpedo would decloak and dephase. There is no other way it could stay cloaked. Unless it had it's own little onboard phase cloak device so pointless that it allowed itself to float harmless through the targetted enemy ship :lol:

*3 Years Later - New series of Star Trek*
Writer 1: Let's have the torpedo stay cloaked so that it does no harm to the enemy ship! Plotlines plotlines! How do I come up with them?
Writer 2: Of course, we could add some technowaffle and put a cloaking device onboard for the torpedo for no purpose whatsoever other than to make sure the ship we want to win is at a severe disadvantage!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The concept of a residual field from the cloak that decays over time would fit in with the tech manual description of warp-speed saucer separation, which describes just such an effect to avoid the saucer being damaged by a sudden reversion from high warp to sublight.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

IDEA :!: :twisted:

A phase cloaked Transphaisic torpedo, that decloaks/rephases once its INSIDE of the enemy ship... talk about some damage!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That would be painful.
But it would only be usefull against stations or other slowly moving targets, due to the fact that torps aren't the most maneuverable things.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

you could probably destroy an entire planet that way... phase it till its in the core, rephase it... BOOM! it would force magma to burst out of the ground every where.. and earthquakes.. man... that would be schweeeet.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Youuare one destructive little bastard, huh? :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

:twisted:

funny you should mention that, my wallpaper right now on my computer is a mushroom cloud from a nuclear explosion... hmmm... care to do some psychological profiling lol?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think I'd rather leave that alone completely, thank you. *backs away slowly*
as Bull offed Custer