The Worst Book You Ever Read

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: The Worst Book You Ever Read

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

A nineteen-way tie between all the New Jedi order books. Yes, thank you, you motherfucking assholes. I needed the sanctuary i had in the mid-90's from my emotionally abusive stepfather violated twelve ways from Sunday.

It took ten tons of author fiat for the bad guys to get as far as they did, not to mention the bullshit character derailment. The shock-value deaths, the stupid... okay. I'm gonna stop here before I write an essay. but the NJO? :sniper: :apc: :pulsegun:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, the NJO actually prompted me to push the eject button and get out of Star Wars completely.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

In the same vein, the Brian Herbert/KJA Dune books. Even Frank Herbert's novels went steadily downhill in consecutive order from Dune to God Emperor of Dune, but Brian's would have made Frank spin in his grave.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah, the NJO actually prompted me to push the eject button and get out of Star Wars completely.
Ditto. That and the entire Travis debacle killed what remained of my interest in SW.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I never thought of the BH/KJA Dune series as being set in the "Worst Books Ever" list. I took them as I would any Fanfic story. A lot of give so they could come up with their own take on a Universe they enjoyed. That doesn't make them good, just not the worst.

Reading anything by KT though is painful. I've never made it through any of her books. That is really bad because I did finish "Forever Midnight" though that was mostly because I was making fun of it for one of my classes.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
Tyyr wrote:Yeah, the NJO actually prompted me to push the eject button and get out of Star Wars completely.
Ditto. That and the entire Travis debacle killed what remained of my interest in SW.
KT is one thing, but as I've said many times the NJO wasn't nearly as bad. Sure it had some irredeemable shit in it (most of it Vong-related), but it also had some excellent book, SbS and Allston's duology being the highlights, and The Unifying Force would have been an excellent point at which to end the post-RotJ EU.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The problem with the NJO is that its a massive departure from what's come before it, at times far too massive. Since Episode IV Han's entire character arc has been one of a man who thinks less and less of himself and more of others eventually becoming a respectable family man. At the start of NJO he pisses all over that and reverts to a self absorbed jackass. Chewie is killed for no other reason than they wanted to kill a major character (but obviously not too major a one). The Vong just... ugh.

On top of that, frankly I was getting tired of the same cast and crew being right in the middle of everything.

I'm sure the series had its moments but on the whole it's just not what I wanted to read when I picked up a Star Wars book.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:The problem with the NJO is that its a massive departure from what's come before it, at times far too massive.
The EU needed something to shake it up from the typical book or three of a minor or localised threat that would be quickly dealt with. You can argue till the cows cow home about whether the NJO succeeded in its aims, but you can't fault those behind it for trying to get Star Wars out of the comfort Zone it had got into.
Since Episode IV Han's entire character arc has been one of a man who thinks less and less of himself and more of others eventually becoming a respectable family man. At the start of NJO he pisses all over that and reverts to a self absorbed jackass.
Given that he'd just lost his oldest and closest friend, he didn't simply go off the rails for no reason.
Chewie is killed for no other reason than they wanted to kill a major character (but obviously not too major a one).
"Not too major a one"? :lol: Plan A was to kill Luke, but Lucas vetoed the idea. As for the general concept, they wanted to bring back a sense of threat to the EU, and killing off one of the original big four was the hardest-hitting way to do it.
The Vong just... ugh.
Agreed - their depiction, biowank, Force-hole, masochism and all was utter shit.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:...Force-hole...
So, that's where George Lucas' dialog comes from.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

One of my biggest problems was the slaughter and devaluing of the next generation. Sw does not operate in comic book time, and in the Legacy book series, Luke's dead. So you'd think that the next generation would be stepping up?

Fuck NO! Not a single one has been presented well. Hell, a lot of them are dead or disappeared. Anja Gallandro, where are you? Lowbacca is wallpaper. Jacen Solo, Anakin Solo, Lusa, Lyric, dead. Jaina... dear lord, she's been fridged up to the limit without actually dying.

Seafort... I'm sorry, but I liked and kinda needed the comfort zone. In today's EU, Luke would've killed Vader on DS II and it would've been the right thing to do. :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

My main problem with the NJO is how it killed off pretty much everyone who I previously thought were going to take over from Luke, Han and co. Let's face it - the guys who blew up the Death Star are getting old now. It's time for them to take a step back and let someone else run around the galaxy defeating the inevitable Sith uprisings. But almost everyone who could take up that role is now dead. It didn't get out of the "comfort zone" at all - it removed everything that threatened the stability of the zone, and has pretty much condemned the EU to remain "Luke Han and Leia solve the problems of the galaxy" for another few series until new characters are brought in and fleshed out.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sionnach Glic wrote:It didn't get out of the "comfort zone" at all - it removed everything that threatened the stability of the zone, and has pretty much condemned the EU to remain "Luke Han and Leia solve the problems of the galaxy" forever. another few series until new characters are brought in and fleshed out.
Fixed it for you
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The YJK, the series before the NJO set up the next generation perfectly to take over. Or at least step up in a serious way. Now... nothing's left. :(
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolken

and

Time Storm by Gordon R. Dickson

I couldn't finish either one. The first was so boring I kept dozing off. The second was depressing.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The Silmarillion? Really? I guess you have to have both an interest in the universe and a taste for mythology, because I couldn't put it down (including The Alkallabeth[/] any of the times I read it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer