USS-Daystrom Alpha mission

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Boush had prepared a rather lavish presentation for Rochey when he arrived at the meeting table. "Hello Commander, have a seat." He motioned with an open hand to the chair designed for Tholians.

"Since Mikey broke the news to me this morning I have been working with engineering on creating a system that will put an end to these security leaks. We had enough with Blackstar and her Romulan friend's escape. I do not intend on letting this new warm blood get any slack.

"I have implimented a series of five communication jamming signals throughout the ship, awaiting to be activated. These only will create an active field up to around 200 meters to prevent us from causing havok to any other ships in the area. These are controlled through a central computer not connected to the other ship's controls. Only five access keys. Myself, you, the captain, I was thinking Mikey and finally whoever the crewman on hand is.

"This central computer will also act as an operator that will connect all calls. In trials it slowed communication from one officer to the next by 2.8 seconds. I believe with training we can cut 1.2 seconds off that time. For off ship communication it can send out short tight high powered microsecond long communications to and from Starfleet's military branch. Or it can be lowered completely at the will of one of the five access keys."

Boush finished his presentation. "If security continues to degrade I have Plan B in the works presently which would end lawlessness and insuboration once and for all. But it skits along the boundaries of Federation law."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

"Thank you for joining me, Lt. Commander," said Mikey, rising from his seat as M'real entered. He had thought about visiting her quarters, but wanted to have a bit of home-ground advantage. Besides, if Grr'lek was any indication, those Caitians kept their rooms ubearably warm. "If it's too cold in here for you, let me know."

M'real wouldn't succumb to a test of vulnerability that easily. "I'm quite comfortable, thank you. What can I help you with, Lt. Commander?"

"I just wanted to clarify something about your mission... in the interest of the truth, of course," said Mikey silkily. "Can I offer you a drink? Synthetic Ktarian merlot, perhaps?"

"No... no, thank you." M'real was taken a bit offguard by the Andorian's show of gentility and charm as well as by the contrast of his displays of weapons alongside his quasi-sister's artwork. She had expected a tough combatant, staunch ally, and stubborn opponenet, all based on the descriptions she had received. Now it seemed to her that there was a good deal that she hadn't been told. "It's late. What questions did you have, Mr. W'trisk?"

"Please, call me 'Mikey,'" said W'trisk, "everyone has since the Academy. And the first part is more of a statement rather than a question... as in, that bit about an implanted comm anomaly to test our response was a complete load of crap. Don't protest; Caitians are much easier to read than your friend Blackstar was. Shi could lie with the best of 'em - on you, every tell in the book lights up like a supernova."

"Remind me not to play cards with you, Mr. W'trisk," responded M'real, pointedly not using the nickname he had supplied.

"Better than that, I'll remind you to not bring up Blackstar in my presence again."

"If I am to conduct an investigation, Mr. W'trisk, I will very probably need to mention the subject of that investigation."

"Your investigation on that matter is smoke and mirrors."

"I beg your pardon, Mr. W'trisk?! I'll have you know that Adm-"

"Admiral Norington, I know," broke in Mikey. "Only, you can't really conduct a inquiry into the death of someone who is still alive." M'real spluttered wordlessly as Mikey sat down, stared at a blank spot on the wall, and continued, "And for me in particular, that fact might be even more difficult to take."

M'real had regained herself enough to react to this. "MORE difficult? Are you that much of a emotionless warrior robot?!"

Completely insensitive to her tone, Mikey slowly turned his head towards M'real and answered, "Hir death would have been a clean break for me. Blackstar and I were like oil and water - but that never stopped us from talking about the future: could we be together, when was I ready for children, how would our relationship work with a few more spouses around than a non-Andorian is used to. And now, dead or not, shi's gone completely."

There was an audible CLICK has M'real's jaw dropped open. "Mikey," she said, not even noticing that she finally used his preferred nickname, "I had no idea... I mean, I SHOULD have, but..."

"Go back to Starfleet, M'real. Tell them that while the string of deaths here was coincidental, that's all that it was. I promise, you'd be telling them the truth. There's nothing else here."

"You may be surprised."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Rochey nodded as Munro finished his presentation.

"That sounds like it will be well suited to solving our problem. I'd like it implemented as soon as possible, we can't risk anyone else messing with the ship's systems. I don't believe your Plan B will be needed for now, though I'd like it standing by and ready to come on line should it be necessary."

"Yes Sir." The Breen replied, nodding. He paused for a moment, then brought up a subject the Commander had been thinking about himself. "Are you sure the Captain will aprove of these new measures?"

"For now, the Captain's thoughts are irrelevant. He is off duty. As executive officer, I am in command until he returns to duty. As such, I have the authority to tighten security on the ship, particularly when we are already at risk."

"You haven't brought this up with him yet?"

"Not yet. As I said; he's off duty, and it isn't necessary to interupt him for something like this. I'll inform him of it when he returns to duty tomorrow morning.
Also, I believe it may be better to implement this as soon as possible. If we attempted to seek the Captain's aproval before implementing this, it could be a while before anything gets done. The ship is at immediate risk, and it is our duty to do our best to ensure the security of it. I'm sure you'll agree."

"Yes Sir." Munro replied.

"Good. Now, with regards to Lieutenant Commander M'Real, I'm sure I don't need to suggest that you keep an eye on her. She seems to think that being an admiral's favoured investigator gives her the authority to flaunt rules and regulations. I intend to make it clear to her that I will not tolerate this. In fact...." Rochey thought for a moment, and then realised he had a way to slip out of his apointment with the interfering Caitan yet again. "I would like you to schedule a private meeting between you and I and the Captain tomorow morning, after the staff meeting. Tell him it's a matter of ship security."

"Yes Sir." Munro nodded, noting that the Commander clearly had some other motive for this, but not catching it.

"Excelent. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have other business to attend to." With that the Commander headed back to his quarters.

Slipping out of the enviromental suit, he brought up the timetable for tommorow's staff meeting. 1030 it was on at, and they usualy lasted for a half and hour.
He then began writing a message to M'Real.

Lieutenant Commander M'Real;
My sincerest apologies, but I will be unable to attend our scheduled meeting tomorrow morning after the staff meeting. An urgent apointment with the Captain has come up, and it is a matter of ship security. As an officer, I'm sure you will understand the need to miss our apointment. As I have no free time later on in the day, perhaps it would be more prudent to re-schedule our meeting for later in the week.
Yours sincerely, Commander Rochey

He read over it, and then went back and added Executive Officer, USS Daystrom next to his name, just to underline the fact that he was in a higher position on the chain of command than she was.
Finishing up, he then instructed the computer to send it to M'Real's terminal at 1030 the next day. That way, she wouldn't recieve the message until she got back to her quarters after the meeting, and after Rochey had dodged the apointment. As he had informed her about it, there was nothing she could do asside from complain.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

M'Real shook her head. This was a confusing crew. Mikey was far more unusual then she had known. Not to mention he had more information then she knew he had. Someone was going to get an ear full about that. She was even more suprised that he wanted her to shirk her duties. She was also concerned about other mistakes in the mission. And the death of several other crewman still concerned her.

And now with Commander Rochey's so called security precaution. M'Real shook her head, she was certain that he would monitor any and all communications between her and starfleet intelligence and transmit classified information. She had been able to get a short transmission out through the Runabout she used. Even if it had been intercepted she had made sure to heavily encrypt it, and even if it was decoded it was a signal that only the reciever would understand as "Don't send classified information until I signal all clear".

She could try to convince the captain that was Rochey was interfering with the buisness of real officers, but Captains often had loyalty to their officers. Having Admiral Norington step in was possible if she could get a message to the Admiral, but she was trying to be more independant. Then an interesting idea hit her.

On the way to the staff meeting the next morning M'Real put her plan into action. "Mikey, I thought I should give you a heads up. I came up with a security precaution and discussed it with Rochey last night. A security protocol where all transmissions are monitored. Not the calls themselves mind you without justification but it will prevent unauthorized transmissions from being sent without being seen. Rochey seemed to like it and I'd like you and Monroe to set it up. I figure that keeps Rochey by having his friend in charge, while I know I can trust you to work for Starfleet's best interest."

"I'm suprised Rochey agreed so readily," said a rather stunned Mikey.

M'Real shrugged, "I think he was hopeing for the chance to do something to keep tabs on people. On our end we will be able to keep him from making any undetectable transmissions with the Tholian's natural abilities."

Mikey nodded, "I see you thought this through."

M'Real nodded, "I believe the people in charge of the system should be the Captain, Rochey, Monroe, you and myself."

"Makes sense, although Rochey will try to cut you out of the deal."

"I'm a loyal officer who needs privacy due to her access to classified information. He's an exchange officer who is a Tholian, near Tholian space. I think the captain will see my point of view," said M'Real

"So what aren't you telling me?" asked Mikey.

M'Real looked around to make sure no one could hear her and checked to make sure her personal jammer was turned on to make sure no bugs could pick her up. "It was actually Rochey's idea and I'm going to propose it first thing at the staff meeting to make sure he doesn't cut me out, since I want to make sure if he's keeping tabs on me I'm keeping tabs on him. That's what Starfleet Inteligence was made for in the first place."

"That's gutsy, if the captain finds out he'll never trust you."

"And if it works, and Rochey plays it smart then he can come out looking better or if he isn't smart he comes out looking like a fool by claiming it was his idea. However, the odds of this plan working at all will be greatly improved with your help. If we play it by my plan you're not technically betraying anyone. If Rochey suspects your involvement in this you can claim that you had no knowledge of this which is what I was trying to do before you confronted me."

"You were protecting me? I'm touched. How do you know Rochey hasn't already told the captain about this plan? And what if he claims it as his own and you stole it?"

"I play innocent, claim he's trying to take credit, and if he already started his plan compliment him for being so efficient. And my story of talking to him last night is partially true. Check the records if you want, he visited my quarters," said M'Real. "The only question is do I have your support? Will you support someone who is working on your side? Or support someone who might be spying for the other side? Are you in or out?"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mikey began to clap his hands slowly in sarcastic applause. "Very good," he said dryly. "Do you take me for an Andorian amoeba, mindlessly following the strongest light source? You've tried to convince me that the commander may, in fact, be a Tholian mole; and that he has, or will, attempt covert communication with a Tholian vessel. I know you're looking for something on him, but the truth is that there's never been any evidence of him communicating with a Tholian vessel except in farewell to the ship that brought him to us - and he did that in Standard, while standing on a fully-crewed bridge and right next to Captain Fletcher. There is less than zero evidence that he has malicious purposes towards this ship, this mission, Starfleet, or the Federation."

"You're naive, Mr. W'trisk, and it appears that you are easily led," replied M'real brusquely.

"If so, I would have bought your whole story, wouldn't I? The only things that I'm led by are my own six senses. And it is you who needs to examine your motivations, lt. commander," answered Mikey, rounding on the Caitian and looking down at her. "You're on a witch hunt, and are trying to form the evidence to suit your own pre-made conclusions. Starfleet and the UFP have worked long and hard to get to the point where a Tholian could be welcome to serve aboard one of our ships; I have no intention of helping you negate all that effort."

M'real's frustration was evident now as she sensed that she was failing in her attempt to rally Mikey to her cause. "I am operating under orders-"

"Starfleet intelligence, Admiral Norington, blah, blah, blah," interrupted Mikey. "I didn't ask you about your motivations, and I don't care to hear your excuses." Mikey turned away from M'real and began to idly strum the flabbjellah laying atop his bureau. "By the way, the biological comm signal that Tholians create cannot be blocked by communications restrictions; they can't always even be detected accurately. But I can offer you two pieces of information about them."

"After that harangue, now you want to offer me help?" M'real looked skeptical.

"I will not help you make up evidence to support baseless judgements. I wouldn't ignore my oath or my loyalties for Blackstar, so I sure as the frozen hells am not going to do it for you. But I certainly don't mind helping to guide an investigation toward the truth - and that, lt. commander, is the ONLY bond you have on me."

"Very well, Mr. W'trisk," said M'real more calmly. "In the interest of obtaining the best information, what advice can you give me on those Tholian comm signals?"

"See? We can all just get along - as long as you don't try to manipulate me. First, they are extremely short-ranged - visual range, if that. Second, there is only one piece of equipment in this sector that can accurately yet passively detect those signals."

"And that would be...?" asked M'real.

"Me," grinned Mikey.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The next morning

"Any idea where it came from?" Asked Rochey, glancing at the PADD he had been handed by the senior communications officer.

"Yes, Sir. The transmission was sent from a runabout in our bay. It was sent to a nearby relay station. The station in question wasn't a Federation one." Lieutenant Junior Grade Kesso replied.

"And exactly what did this message contain?"

"We don't know that, Commander. It was heavily encrypted, it would take us a few days to break the encryption."

"Right. Well, get someone on it. And you have no idea who sent the unauthorised message?"

"No Sir. I sent a couple of members of security down to check out the source of the message, but the shuttlebay was empty when they got there." The lieutenant answered.

"Right. Well, good work on reacting as you did. You may have noticed that people around here don't seem to be too concerned about rather serious breaches in security. It's comforting to know that you, however, are not one of these people." Rochey complimented the young human, who stood there in surprise. Praise from the Daystrom's Executive Officer was a very rare thing.

"Uh, thank you, Sir." Kesso replied.

"Now, I'd like you to get one of your people on to decoding that message. In the meantime, just keep monitoring the ship for any unauthorised communications." Rochey continued.

"Aye, Sir"

"Good. And remember, Lieutenant; the crew may consider me unforgiving for failures, but I make sure to reward good work. Keep up the good work, and you may find a promotion coming your way. 'Lieutenant Aron Kesso' sounds quite fitting, don't you think?"

"Um, thank you, Sir!" Kesso replied, completely thrown by the way the conversation had changed, but quite liking where it was going.

"No need for thanks, Lieutenant, you've earned it." The Commander pretended to turn away, and then turn back as if something had just occured to him. "Oh, and one more thing, Lieutenant. I would like you to pay particular attention to one individual on the ship. You know of Lieutenant Commander M'Real?"

"I do, Sir."

"Good. I have reason to believe she may be engaging in activities that could be tantamount to mutiny. Because of this, I would like you to inform me of any unauthorised transmissions from her quarters, her ship, or any transmissions you believe she may have been involved in sending."

"Em...sure, Sir. That wouldn't be a problem."

"Good. There is one more thing, however. I'd also like you to bring me a copy of any authorised transmissions she sends. You will bring them to me yourself, and this will be a completely confidential matter. You will inform no one of what you are doing. Understood?"

"Uh.....is that permitted, Sir?" Kesso asked uncomfortably.

"Of course. This is a matter of ship security. As Executive Officer, it would be dereliction of duty not to monitor any potential hazards to the ship and crew. I'm sure an able officer such as yourself understands, and would be more than eager to help monitor this hazard. Would I be correct in that assumption, Lieutenant?" Rochey finished, stressing his rank to show that cooperation would result in a promotion, and possibly even more benefits. Kesso thought about it for a moment.
He was, after all, simply following an order. And the Commander had said that there was a threat. And 'Lieutenant Aron Kesso' did sound quite nice.

"Of course, Sir." He answered, making up his mind.

"Excelent. I knew I could count on you, Lieutenant." Rochey nodded. "Just keep in mind that this goes no further than you or I. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting I must attend."

"Aye, Sir." Kesso said, saluted, and walked away towards his post.

Rochey watched him go quite happily. He'd looked over Kesso's profile the previous night, and had figured that he'd be able to buy his cooperation quite cheaply. It turned out that his assumptions had been correct.
He looked over the PADD that he had brought with him, containing the agenda for the next staff meeting. He decided that he would only mention vaguely the new communications protocols in the meeting, and he and Munro would go into the specifics with the Captain just after the meeting. There, he would push for a particular five people to be given access to the communication system.
He and the Captain, naturaly, would have access. Lieutenant Kesso, whom he had just won over, would likely get one due to his position as senior communications officer. Rochey would push for Munro to get one, pointing out that the security officer should have access to the communications system due to his position. Finaly, he was pretty sure he could get the fifth one sent W'trisk's way. That way, all the other officers who had access would be loyal to him.
Munro and W'trisk he was certain he could count on. He had had his doubts about W'trisk's loyalty during the away mission, but the Andorian had proved to have his priorities straight. He would have to work harder to win Kesso's loyalty completely, but that was just a matter of time, and he had already made an excelent start by appealing to the young man's ambitiousness.
Feeling quite pleased with himself, Rochey headed through the doors, and into the staff meeting.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Munro rounded the corner that morning, intending to arrive early, as always, to the staff meeting. He was tired of many of his comrades who felt a meeting's time meant that you had to be there at that time. In Boush's book it meant you had to be there at least 10 minutes before then.

Unfortantly this gave M'Real the perfect spot for an ambush. As Munro rounded the corner she smiled, "Ah, Ensign Munro, Star Fleet's very own Breen."

He paused, and turned slightly to give her a cold blank stare through his visor. "Lieutiant Munro. And I believe there are upwards of thirty Breen in starfleet."

"My mistake." She shrugged, "I understand you were on the away mission correct?"

"Yes."

"And I understand there were some problems with the mission, things went astray and there are people who say that you shot one of your own crewmen." M'Real pressed on.

"Yes there are rumors of that." Boush turned to face M'Real completely, "But only a fool would deny rumors to his underlings when said rumors make those underlings fear and respect him."

"This is Starfleet, we do not opperate by rule through fear."

"You'd have better discipline if you did." Boush replied crossing his arms. "I have filed my report with the Captain."

"Yes, and I understand it said you shot this Crewman Forester?" The intelligent offcer mirrored Boush's crossed arms.

"Yes. With a customized hybrid plasma shell to the torso. He died quickly and it let us complete our mission rescuing seventeen humans." The Breen gave a half shrug, as if the death was not consequential.

"And you also killed Blackstar?" The other officer asked.

"My mines did... supposely. I have my doubts as the Romulan Talora went AWOL shortly afterwards and Blackstar has 'died' in the past and was recovered. My mines would not kill anyone. They wouldn't kill you if you'd like to test my theory."

"I'll pass Munro." M'Real frowned. "You don't feel any remorse for killing Blackstar?"

"The thing slaughtered hundreds of people in the starport after it began an aerial combat above a slave market shortly after firing on this crew. I see it again I will kill it."

"Hir." M'Real corrected.

"It." Boush replied. "If you excuse me, I don't want to be late for the meeting." He shouldered his way past M'Real, who was mostly stunned by the bluntness of the Breen to stop him from leaving.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey was a smart man, there was no doubt about that. But M'Real hadn't gain the reputation of the "Improvising Genius" among the Intelligence devision for nothing, and after thinking about her initial plan needed tweaking anyway.

M'Real spotted Rochey talking to a young Lieutenant Junior Grade officer. Kesso, was his name if M'Real recalled correctly. The senior communications officer.

"I was hoping to discuss your new security procedures with you," said M'Real

"I'd prefer to not discuss it with you," said Rochey.

"Why?" asked M'Real, "do you have something to hide? Or do you not trust this ship's officers?"

"I believe it's best to keep the details to as few people as possible," said Rochey.

"You realize the crew will find out about most of it anyway. Engineering, security, communications, operations, and myself already know the details," said M'Real.

"How could you know?" asked Rochey.

"I don't know how Tholia does it, but Starfleet Intelligence agents such as myself pride ourselves on keeping on top of the situation. And Monroe wasn't too subtle about it," said M'Real.

" I have concerns about the system as it will complicate my position as Intelligence officer. The system risks my communications with Starfleet being monitored by those without proper authorization," said M'Real.

"Who are you talking about?" asked Rochey.

M'Real thought about how to word it. "Starfleet Intelligence has concerns about some officers. For example, both Monroe and yourself wear isolation suits, and it's possible that you could be replaced without our knowledge, or have a bug inside the suit that you wouldn't find without advanced sensors. Now this is just one scenario, and I'm sure that concern was already addressed, and I personally doubt those particular scenarios will happen successfully. However my superiors are not so sure. They are nervous about having a Tholian exchange officer so close to Tholian space."

"Are you suggesting that I'm a traitor?" demanded Rochey.

"No, of coarse not," said M'Real. "However I'm sure you can understand their concerns. If this was a Tholian ship and a Starfleet exchange officer was on board, would you trust him or her? Of coarse not, you don't even trust your own officers. Otherwise you wouldn't be working with Monroe to increase security."

"It's not my fault Starfleet has lousy security," said Rochey. "What choice do I have?"

"You could try talking to your officers rather then only barking orders and handing out punishments," said M'Real. "One conversation is all I need to get a good bead on people. More complex ones like you are harder to read."

Rochey remembered what M'Real said about knowing things. "If you're as good as you claim, then what do you know about a transmission sent last night?"

"I sent a signal to my mother. Is that so wrong?"

"It was you?! If it was a signal to your mother why did you heavily encode it?" said Rochey.

"It's nothing to worry about. My mother is in Intelligence too and would have a hissy fit if I didn't continue practicing. Do you want the encryption algorithm?"

"Of course. Are you going to just give it to me?"

"Well if you ask nicely," teased M'Real.

"Or I could order you to give it to me."

"Actually, that wouldn't work. I'm working under a special command protocol that means that I only answer to Starfleet Intelligence and the captain. Besides, isn't it easier to just ask? It makes more friends, and friends can be very valuable even if you don't like them. Now imagine how powerful a friend in Starfleet Intelligence could be."

Rochey was beyond skeptical. "I thought you were here to investigate me."

"So? I'd investigate my best friend if I was ordered to. In fact, the majority of the investigation is a joke," said M'Real. "As a sign of good faith I'll give you this encryption algorithm that I used on my last transmission. You won't find anything interesting though. And I probably won't use that encryption algorithm again, but you never know. And I'm sure you'll find it useful for your own purposes."

"If this investigation is a joke, why are you here at all?"

M'Real shrugged, "maybe my superiors just are worried. Who knows? But I think we should forego our meeting after the staff meeting and discuss your security plans with the captian. We should also bring Monroe and Mikey since this will include their departments as well."

"Why should you be there?" asked Rochey, who was beginning to wonder if she knew he had already scheduled a meeting at that time.

"Well, as Intelligence officer I handle classified information, and I would be shirking my duties if I didn't ensure its security," explained M'Real. "And just intercepting classified information could be considered treason against Starfleet, even if it is encrypted. Just a friendly warning."

"Why would you want to be 'friends'" asked the ever suspicious Rochey.

"Just as you would want an ally with connections with Starfleet intelligence, I could use an ally with connections with Tholia. Keeping the backdoors open to prevent disaster so to speak. I hope you'll learn to trust me. And if you ever have a problem with something I do or concerned about a transmission or anything along those line, just ask. The worst I can do is to tell you is that my superiors won't allow it."

M'Real paused for a moment before adding, "and we can reschedule my interview, at your convenience. Sometime before the end of the week. That's 7 ship days, just to be clear. I'll make sure to tell Mikey to join us in the captain's ready room after the staff meeting, and I'd prefer you to tell Monroe. I find him to be too, if you'll pardon the pun, cold to be comfortable around him."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Rochey's mind ran through everything he had gathered from the conversation so far.
She knew. He didn't know how she had known he had scheduled a meeting, but she damn well knew.
So, she knew, and she wanted to get into the meeting. That meant she had some sort of plan, and needed to speak to the Captain. But she could arrange a meeting with the Captain anytime, so it had to be this specific meeting she wanted to sit in for. Now, Rochey had been planning to spin M'Real's actions in a way that would suggest that she was an immediate threat to ship security, and her admission of sending an unauthorised transmission despite the security protocols was even more damning. Were she to attend the meeting, he would be unable to use those tactics in her presence.

So, letting her into the meeting would be playing right into her hands, and he'd lose a valuable tactic. For.....what?
Well, she'd offered to give him the encryption code to her message. But the fact that she was so willing to do so meant that the message was unimportant. Besides, if she was halfway competant, she'd never use that code again, so he'd be gaining nothing.
As for her offer of friendship.....well, he didn't trust that any farther than he could throw a Sea Strider. She was trying to use him for something, and he was going to put a stop to that immediately.

He was quite surprised at how obvious her tactics were. The information that the External Threat Assesment Branch, the Assembly's version of Starfleet Inteligence, had gathered indicated that Starfleet Inteligence officers were quick, smart and cunning. This M'Real had all the subtlety of a torpedo.

So, what did that mean? Well, either the ETAB had drasticaly over-estimated Inteligence, or M'Real was nowhere near as good as she made herself out to be.
Well, the first option would be nice to be true, as it would mean that the Assembly would have Starfleet riddled with ten times the amount of spys and sabateurs it already did. However, it would be unwise to judge an entire organisation by one of it's members.
So, what about M'Real herself? It seemed quite likely she was little more than a failing Inteligence operative with delusions of grandeur. If she did actualy know the Admiral, it was likely just from a passing meeting. And if M'Real was as good as she claimed, then why was she sent out here, into the middle of nowhere, weeks from Federation space, to check up on a couple of fatalaties among the crew of a ship in the middle of hostile territory? The facts simply didn't fit. She had no support, no backup, no senior authority. Most likely, the Admiral had sent her out here to get rid of her for a while, maybe hoping that a passing Tholian warship would take a few pot-shots at the unidentified and alone Federation runabout.

So, that meant that even if she was willing to be his ally, she'd be worthless. This all meant he had nothing to gain, and a lot to lose should he let her into the meeting.

"Firstly, I would prefer you adress him as Lieutenant Munro. He is an officer on this ship and I insist you treat him with the respect you demand yourself." Rochey snapped at her, deciding to just get rid of her as soon as possible.
"Secondly, I don't require your assitance in breaking a single code, the value of which you have just proven to be nothing.
Thirdly, I care not for your nebulous claims of possible friendship. I don't require the assitance of a washed-up Inteligence officer for anything."

"What did you just call me?" M'Real asked, thrown and angered by the Commander's sudden change of track.

"What, you expect me to believe you are some great Inteligence prodigy?" He laughed. "You're about as subtle as Lieutenant Munro is. No wait, I take that back. Lieutenant Munro has demonstrated far more subtlety than you have.
Look at where you are. You've been sent on your own through hostile territory, weeks from Federation space, to investigate.....what? A couple of fatalities among a crew traveling through hostile space? If you ever did meet the Admiral, I'd place a fair bet on it being a whole five seconds long meeting for her to tell you to come out here to get you out of her hair.
So, either you have severe delusions of grandeur, or you know your career is going down in flames, and are just attempting to impress us mere mortals with your status an expert Inteligence officer. I'm not sure which one I'd prefer to be true, or which one I'd find more pathetic." He stopped for a moment, and had to stop himself laughing at the look of outrage and shock that had passed over M'Real's face.

"Now," He continued. "You will not be attending any meeting about the communications systems. In fact, myself, Lieutenant Munro and the Captain have scheduled a meeting on that very matter. However, it is highly classified, and is on a need-to-know basis. Since, as you said yourself but a moment ago, you are not part of the chain of command, you do not need to know. I will, however, be sure to relay your concerns to him during the meeting, along with informing him of your habit of sending heavily encrypted messages to your kin.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a briefing to attend to." Rochey concluded. He had to get away before he simply burst into laughter at her.
He had taken a few steps away from her, but couldn't resist making one last jab back at her.

"I'm sure my comrades back amongst the Assembly will be very interested in hearing all about Lieutenant Commander M'Real, the 'great' Inteligence officer." He called back to her. With that, and deciding it would be improper to burst into a fit of laughter on the bridge, he headed off towards the staff meeting, leaving the stunned M'Real behind.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Darel heard every word of the conversation. He was wearing a rather descreet earpiece. His hearing was very good anyway but this made it all alot easier. He didn't particularly care what was going on. But he loved a good bit of gossip. He turned around to see the commander leaving, getting a little quip in at the end. M'Real was obviously stunned by the commanders blunt reposte. It wasn't surprising to him. You can NEVER predict Commander Rochey. Not that you can predict Tholians anyway. He checked the chronometer on his panel. Duty was.....over. Time to work some manipulative magic. With any luck that is.
He walked up to the still stunned M'Real.
"Lieutenant Commander?"
She barely moved. Only her eyes shifted.
"What?"
"I assume you are Lt. Cmdr. M'Real?" She nodded. "I am Ensign Darel Ge'haan. May I welcome you to the ship. I hope your stay is productive."
"Look. What is it you want?" She said. It seems she had experience dealing with cardassian charm.
"Very well. All work and no play. I should have known from an Intelligence officer." The glare she gave stopped him. "Alrigh! You wish be friends with Commander Rochey. I am going to be rather Uneliquent and blunt but...fat chance. He will not befriend you because you pose a threat to him. Mikey is a threat to him...but He feels in a similar way to Rochey. although nowhere near as...medieval in his manner."
"Your point?"
"It would be more prudent to get friends with...those that are not of much suspect...but still has a knack for hearing what he shouldn't. After all, most would think he is going to be under alot of suspicion due to the recent war. Do you not agree?" He hoped his words had played out as he had wanted and with the desired affect. Only her response would tell.
Minnsky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Minnsky »

The trio, Metler, Mich, and guard, entered the shuttle bay. The fog from earlier in the morning had dissipated and the floor of the bay was shinny new from its flash cleaning. In the midst of people picking up their supplies and checking shuttle systems sat Wells. Metler went silent and looked it at for a while in awe. Mich was awed as well. Both saw in it different things one the near completion of his dreams the other his salvation. After a while of silence the guard spoke, awed in no way. "Well."
Mich started to move realizing that he must look foolish standing there, metler just stood there completely oblivious to the world about him. The guard looked at the engineer then Mich, "If he doesn't move I'm calling medical."
Mich smiled and shook his commander. "Sir, sir."
Minnsky slowly came out of his thoughts and noted the half completed ship behind his.
"Say human," he addressed the guard, "that ship, whose is it."
There was a pause as the guard adjusted to being called by his race and answered. "Ours, the late Lt. Blakstar started its commission."
"The late?"
"Yes she died coming back aboard, issue with her shuttle."
"I see." Metler knew better, about the death and the accident. Her strings were still grounded in her universe as such she couldn't die, not unless there was a massive phase change. As for the accident, ships didn't have docking issues any more so it would have been pilot error. She didn't come across as one to do that, so it was most likely something to do with the Tholian.
He decided to get to work and quickly went to wells, turning to the guard he dismissed him smiling and then placed his had on a section of the ships hull. Moving them slightly he spoke. "Wells, operation D78." He smiled at Mich who had become slightly shy. "Touch her," Metler said, "Go ahead."
Mich slowly reached out and touched the ships skin, it was warm to the touch and very smooth. He smiled, "It feels, perfect."
"It is, the radiant heat is used to detect damage in the hull, changes in environment even scanners. The slightest change in temputure is detected and sensors can active scan the aria."
Mich looked at him inquisitively, he hadn't meant it in that way at all but Metler wouldn't understand. The look was lost on Minnsky and he looked back at wells.
"Here goes." With that he walked thru the hull into his ship leaving Mich to ponder his next move.
"I would say walk in." Mich spun around to face a Romulan commander in full combat gear. "Well ok, I did say walk in. An introduction, I'm Commander Shetlen of the Romulan ship Tetrion." The man extended his hand and moved forward.
"How are you on this ship then?" Mich responded not moving.
"Im not, well ok, I am but as a computer program. O1 actually. Programmed to interface with the out side incase of unauthorized handling of the hull, or in this case to tell you to walk into the hull." The image of Shetlen disappeared suddenly. Mich stood for just a second and then walked into the hull. There was a slight tingling as he past thru the hologram. Metler stood on the other side of the small room smiling.
"I did it." He said. "Wells close the door." Behind Mich a panel silently slid down from the ceiling sealing the ship from the out side.
"The hole outside is a hologram?" Mich asked still recovering from his experience.
"No, the door hologram is only active once I activate it with operation D78. The hologram of Shetlen is only active when some one touches the hull." Metler turned to the front of the ship. There were many changes inside, starting from the front. The space between the two counsels was gone, replaced by a series of hatches under which was the computers main core. The panels on either side were different as well. The LCARS was white and red, the text metlers own code. The windows were still there but had information scrolling on them, also in code. The partition was there but it had an extra thickness to it, and a keyed door. Once in the main aria you would find a bunk bed to the left and a storage compartment to the right, directly beside the bed was the door and across from that a computer terminal; Lighting for the room was provided by a wide unit in the roof. The room was smaller then the original and centered in the wall after the door there was a reinforced window. In it the energy of the engine showed its brilliance.
"We will have to power down the main core and switch to solar back up." Minnsky said sitting at the right side panel. Metler slowly moved around the room. "Say get me tea would you? The replicator is found beside the storage compartment." The core powered off but nothing changed with the lights, changing to back up was seamless. Mich opened what he thought was a hatch in the wall only to find it was a small replicator base.
"Wells, tea please." He said. The cup materialized and he picked it up. Glancing over at Minnsky to make sure he wasn't seen he opened the cargo bin and took something out then dropped it in the drink. "Here you are."
Metler took it but said nothing, already engrossed in his work. Mich sat in the other chair. "Wells, book please." Text appeared on the screen in front of him and he started to read.
Many hours past, both men stayed locked to there activities until Mich finally stood to get something to eat. "Sir, you have to eat too." There was as usual no response. Mich ordered their food and set it on the large room computer terminals edge. He then proceeded to get Metlers attention by touching his shoulder. "Sir, supper time."
Metler looked up in a daze, "Right, right."
No sooner then they had sat to eat an alarm went off. Minnsky jumped from his chair and snapped up his PADD.
"What is it?" Mich asked worried.
"I just intercepted a transmission. It's originating from the other bay." His fingers danced over the controls and he grinded. "Its encoded, being sent to a small relay. Not on federation channels that's why I got it." He sat down on the lower bunk and worked a bit, he let the signal go but kept a copy for himself. He also adapted part of its frequency so it would be faster to spot by ship systems. He then brought up the file. "It looks as if its, Wells program H12." In the center of the room appeared a new consul, floating above it was a display showing the encoded file. Metler took a good long look at it. Mich stood and moved over to get a good look himself.
"Its is," Metler said, "Wells, open program library C, load file one twenty." The message before them changed to its decoded original. "She used one of my old encoding types. There off book so know one would know them." He laughed a bit. "She sent it to some Admiral I have never herd of before. Of course I have been out of the loop for some time. Wells connect to Daystrom, look up Admiral Norington"
"Please hold system searching." The computer responded in southern freighter.
"We need to make that ale for the Andorian." Mich said
"Right thanks for the reminder." Metler picked up the PADD, "I think I have some," he fell silent again. "Open the replicator I got it." As the replicator was opened the holographic display dimmed. On the repla-pad a bottle of ale appeared. "That should do it." Mich picked it up and closed the hatch, the hologram popped back to full strength.
"Records found and pulled." The computer said.
Both men went to the display to find out who had gotten the transmission.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

M'Real could barely conceal how upset she was as she made her way to the holodeck. Rochey wasn't far off. She was failing to even get him to an interview. Just like she failed to return to the cockpit of her fighter after her accident. Just like she failed to defeat her adopted sister in their last dogfight. Just like she had failed to rescue the Kobayashi Maru on 18 separate tries. "Computer activate holoprogram Kobayashi Maru, Tholian Variant. Ship Class: Akira. Live crew: 1, position Captain. Safeties off."

"Turning off safeties is not recommended," stated the computer.

"Override safeties authorization M'Real Bravo-Delta-Charlie-one-niner"

"Authorization recognized. You may enter."

M'Real walked onto the generic bridge of a Akira-class ship. The operations officer reported, "We are receiving a distress signal from ship Kobayashi Maru. It's in system TRG-110. It struck a mine. The system itself is in disputed space between the Tholian Assembly and the UFP."

M'Real nodded. "Take us in maximum warp. Yellow alert. Active scanning."

It was only moments before they arrived in the system. They hadn't even finished scanning the Maru when the tactical officer reported, "Three tholian warships approaching from the nearby gas giant. They're deploying fighters."

"Red alert. Load all torpedo tubes, charge phasers, and begin beaming the Maru's crew over. Keep us moving until we've gotten them off." M'Real wasn't even going to try talking to them. It was always a waste of time in the Tholian variant. It was usually a waste of time in modern scenarios except when the occasional cadet knew some obscure law or in one case bribing the enemy. However no one had ever talked to the Tholians during the Kobayashi Maru scenario. They always attacked.

"They're deploying fighters and creating a web. We can't evade."

"Raise shields. We can't help the Maru if we're dead," said M'Real. "Prepare for ramming speed!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

More intrigue, thought Mikey as he meandered down the corridor. Why does everybody I meet and start to give a damn about end up being so contrary to everything I give a damn about? Mikey considered wandering to the lounge and sitting at the bar, but one couldn't get sufficiently drunk on synthehol. Then he thought about getting drunk alone in his quarters, but he had that early staff meeting. That left his one true relaxation technique - beating the tar out of something with his bare hands on the holodeck. Punching up a wall display, he noticed that Holodeck 1 had been reserved, while 2 was unreserved but in use. Figuring that the chances were that someone of lower rank than himself was using the deck, he prepared to enter and kick him out. To his surprise, the doors remained closed and he got a warning about a "dangerous situation with safety protocols disengaged."

"Computer, who is in there?" demanded Mikey.

"Lieutenant Commander M'real."

"Show me the current program." After seeing the situation M'real had put herself in, he continued, "Prepare to amend program and admit me. Authorization W'trisk two-five-radio-six-two-four. On my command change program to W'trisk historical 25. Open." As the doors slid open he ran in, grabbed M'real by the shoulder, turned her around, and yelled, "What in the name of the Great Hearth do you think you're doing?! Computer, change program."

The scene around them dissolved into the bridge of an antique Kumari-class cruiser of the old Andorian Imperial Guard, dimly lit and littered with bodies and wreckage. "Why did you take it away from me?" asked M'real in a small voice. Suddenly and shockingly, she looked very young and vulnerable.

"What were you doing?" repeated Mikey, although considerably gentler.

"I was going to win or die trying," she replied with a hint of her old mettle.

"In an unwinnable scenario, with the safeties off. You really would have died trying - but of course you know that."

"What else have I got?" she asked, sinking to the deck. "I can't be a pilot anymore, I'm no good at what I do, my... er... my dear friend is gone who-knows-where..."

"Look around you. This is an accurate representation of the Battle of Weytaan. These men all died before ever being able to influence the outcome of the battle. But their names were all honored in the records of the Imperial Guard, because they stayed at their posts. The only way you can judge your success is AFTER your career is over. If you've stayed at your posts, and not abandoned your course, you can't help but have had some measure of success. Look - you almost vetted me for your cause, and I'm a hard case."

"I can't even get an interview with Commander Rochey," M'real said miserably. "And that's really kind of central to this whole investigation. Besides, I can't even report if I ever do find out anything, because I can't use the comm system for private or encrypted transmissions!"

"Well, Rochey is going to be one of the toughest nuts to crack that you'll ever encounter." A devious thought came unbidden into his head, and he almost smiled to himself. "I'll tell you what - I'll see what I can do about private comm access. Then you can leave the issue alone, and Rochey will be suitably mollified."

"And in return?" she asked sharply, her guard suddenly up.

"In return, there may be a point in time when I'll have to ask you take me at my word, and I can assure you that my word is the word of my clan's honor and not to be taken lightly. For now, let's just say that you have to come have a drink with me. And I'll let you know how I made out with the comms issue after the staff meeting tomorrow."
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"Commander?" Mikey called. Rochey, who had been about to head through the doors into the meeting, paused and turned around.

"Yes, Lieutenant Commander?"

"Sir, if you don't mind, I'd like to talk to you about the new security on the Comms system."

"I believe Lieutenant Munro has made copies of the new protocols, and will be handing them out during the meeting."

"That's not exactly what I wanted to talk about. I wanted to talk about M'Real's clearance for sending communications."

"Her clearance is non-existant." Rochey said briskly. "She has proven herself to be unreliable, and possibly dangerous, and I intend to make sure the Captain is informed about all her less than authorised actions after this meeting."

"Yes, Sir, but that's not exactly where I was going either."

"Then exactly where are you going with this, Lieutenant W'trisk?"

"Well, Sir, I have a plan which would allow us to keep a closer eye on her, and possibly get her to relax her investigations a bit."

"Okay. What is this plan?"

"Right, we allow M'Real access to the Comms system for whatever she needs it for, but only if she goes through me. This way, she gains a modicum of trust for us, hopefully relaxes a bit her intentions of mounting your head on a plaque...and I get to surveil everything she sends. It would sound like us saying that we trusted her, while actualy bringing her under closer observation."

"Well." Replied Rochey. "Very well thought out, Lieutenant. Very well, I'll talk to her later on, and inform her that she will be allowed access to the system via your authorisation. In the meantime, I think we both have a meeting to attend to." Rochey concluded, and then stepped through the doors and into the briefing.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

While the briefing continued, one of which Darel was not privy to (much to his disgust), The Daystrome was speeding at maximum warp to the Tholian-federation border. She was Travelling to meet the USS Bangalore, a Steamrunner class starship patrolling said border. They were transferring over refugees from the recent debacle and 'sensitive' documents for the local Admiral's eyes only.
"Vessel on sensors, Lieutenant" an ensign assigned to the sensors panel reported. "Federation, Steamrunner class...its the Bangalore."
"Good. We'll notify the briefing room" he keyed in an access code on the control panel in the command chair. "bridge to briefing room."
"Go ahead" came the captains voice.
"We have the starship Bangalore on sensors. Preparing to transfer personel and data."
"this meetings almost concluded...we'll be there by the time you reach the Bangalore."
"Aye captain." The Lieutenant left to tend the bridge said. "Helm, adjust course to intercept."
"Aye, sir," Replied Darel, hands flying over the helm console. The Daystrome swung about by 12 degrees to starboard, heading directly to the picket ship at many times the speed of light.

"Captain on the bridge," Said the lieutenant, surrendering the all important captains chair to its rightful owner. Captain Fletcher sat himself in the seat, greeted by the image of the sleek Steamrunner class starship.
"Recieving transmittion, Captain" Said the comms officer.
"Put it on". A slender red-haired human female appeared on the screen.
"Captain Fletcher, welcome back to the Federation." She said, in a thick Russian accent.
"Captain Zarateyva, Good to be back. And good to see you, Tanya." She smiled widely, a sign of a joyous life. On a border ship?
"We are standing by for the personel transport and for the transmittion of the 'data'." Her face twisted into a wry grin at the end of her sentance.
"Roger that. Mr. Darel manouvre us into transporter range of the Bangalore, Transporter room, stand by to beam refugees." He ordered. Darel acknowledged the command and drifted into range at 1/2 impulse.
"transporter range...now" Darel reported.
"Transporter room...Initiate when ready. Comms, Transmit the data, protocol codenamed marmite" Fletcher ordered. (Captains Zarateyva and Fletcher had come up with it over subspace). A few moments later, both were complete.
"Right then....We'll be on our way, Days...." Zarateyva began. But a high pitched bleeping interrupted her, both on the Daystrome's bridge and on the Bangalore.
"Incoming distress signal...Civilian frequency. It is originating from...coordinates in orbit of Corovan VII." Said the comms officer on the Daystrome.
"Set course for the location, maximum warp. Care to join us, Tanya?" he said, turning back to the screen.
"With pleasure," She said, smiling lightly. she cut the channel.
"Course plotted." Darel said.
"Engage." The Ship twisted to port, arching around the Bangalore. The nacelles flashed bright on each ship, and they leapt into warp.