USS Daystrom Stats

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:*clap clap clap* I can honestly say I've never noticed a problem around here. A very few times things have gotten out of hand, as an example the 8472 thread. In the end we all decided to walk away, hardly acting like children now is it.

A lot of the problems you mention you bring on yourself. You'll notice I tend to agree with you a lot and debate on the same side. But members don't really have a problem with me to often unlike you.
I bring them on myself because I'm quite comfortable being vocal on calling out b.s. Such as people claiming they're not using ad hominem or are not getting personal, or not being disrespectful, when they clearly are, openly or between the lines. You can do ALL of those things are never curse. The fact that you are happy to let that slide, and in fact a lot of people around here are, is the reason I have a rougher ride here than you.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Maybe your just seeing something that isnt there.

I'll grant a few times things get out of hand but thats obvious and we usually walk away. Its not the all incompassing situation you make it out to be.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:Maybe your just seeing something that isnt there.

I'll grant a few times things get out of hand but thats obvious and we usually walk away. Its not the all incompassing situation you make it out to be.
Maybe the fact that you are not the target of this kind of behavior as much as some of the other forumers are is the reason you don't see the problem.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But the majority of the time we share the same opinion so it must be the way you react to a situation. Its not a bad thing but maybe you just take it personally when its not.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:But the majority of the time we share the same opinion so it must be the way you react to a situation. Its not a bad thing but maybe you just take it personally when its not.
It's not a matter of taking it personally, it's a matter of refusing to smile and sip some bitter tea and swear it's the sweetest I've ever tasted.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I just realised I never answered Mikey about the current situation.

The rebels are taken care of and the ship is on route home. If someone wants to make a filler post dealing with the aftermath do it in the next few hours. I have our arriving home post all written up and ready to post and the first post of the next mission underway.

Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Dusk, you are far more guilty than anyone in this. You stepped into an argument not knowing the full facts, and then proceeded to lecture everyone (minus Blackstar) on what should be going on. You have called this heated and being blaming my attitude, yet whenever I mentioned the way in which Blackstar was talking, you kindly ignored it, particularly the part where he threatened to hack me, and said he had personal problems with me, which was interfering with the way in which he would RP.

Teaos, I am more than happy for you to post those chapters on that fanfiction site.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, the voices of sanity finaly re-appear. The one day Teaos and Mikey don't log on, all hell breaks loose. Good to have you back.

As for posting the chapters on FF.Net, that's not a bad idea. Though I imagine that we'll have people wondering why the writing style changes every couple of paragraphs. :)

Dusk:
First off, I'm not jumping on the bandwagon here by aiming this at you. Just getting that out of the way.

Did the thread go a bit out of control? Yes, hell yes. Was this the fault of myself and Thorin? To some extent, yes. Did you make the situation worse? Despite your good intentions, yes, you did.
The problem, as has been pointed out already, is that you do not know the situation here. You said you don't need to read through 20+ pages of this thread to know what's going on. Thing is, you do.

You described this thread as everyone ganging up on Blackstar. And, to some extent, that's what it was. What you are unaware of, however, is that it's completely Blackstar's own doing. Shi created a character so narrowly defined that there was simply no reason for her to stay on the ship once her original purpose was done with. Despite this, none of us ever brought her time-limit usefulness up, and were fine with leaving her aboard, even if there was no reason.
It was Blackstar who brought this point back up, simply because shi'd tired of hir current position on the ship, and probably the lack of any real authority on the ship. In an attempt to remedy this, shi attempted to take Thorin's job over. Thorin, naturaly, said no. However, he was polite and offered hir numerous positions under himself.
Blackstar claimed that such a situation would be unnaceptable, and tried to get the fighters, which shi wanted, taken away from Thorin's control, despite the fact that he'd already been very involved with them from the very beginning of this RPG.
Again, the rest of us declined to allow hir to do this. Thorin offered hir what shi wanted: command of the fighters, with the condition that they'd stay under his overall command, and shi'd be part of his department. Numerous other posters offered hir various other positions in their own departments, or suggested jobs that weren't being filled in.
Shi declined this, again, refusing to be answerable to anyone and adamant that shi get hir own department to command.
Despite this, things remained civil initialy. The civility only ended when Blackstar threatened to hack Thorin's computer and send him virii, insulted him personaly, and attacked me simply for taking Thorin's side.
It was from there that things went out of control, and it was after this point that you came in. So naturaly what you would have seen was myself and Thorin flaming Blackstar.
However, even during the most heated parts of this thread we were still offering Blackstar compromises and suggestions, all of which shi denied. Shi also used your lack of familiarity with the situation to cast Thorin and I as the 'bad guys', despite the fact that it was hir who began this whole thing.
Also, throughout this whole debacle you consitantly held a double standard, attacking myself and Thorin for being unreasonable, while ignoring Blackstar's rantings and the fact that we were constantly offering hir other positions or compromises.

Now, as I said, I'm not jumping on the 'attack Dusk' bandwagon here. I'm simply laying out the truth as anyone can see it in this thread.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well, I would like to apologize for some of my colorful metaphors and anything that was construed as threatening yesterday. I was dealing with this along with a painful personal physical issue that was making me a little cranky.

The problem, as has been pointed out already, is that you do not know the situation here. You said you don't need to read through 20+ pages of this thread to know what's going on. Thing is, you do.
Not really. Besides an outside perspective is often more accurate then we'd care to admit.
What you are unaware of, however, is that it's completely Blackstar's own doing
So you're saying that because I started it, that makes me the bad person?
shi attempted to take Thorin's job over
I just wanted the fraking fighters
we were constantly offering hir other positions or compromises
None that I found acceptable. Would you find it acceptable to take commands from an officer of lower rank, or to take a job that wouldn't give you a lot to do?
I can honestly say I've never noticed a problem around here.
Teaos, did you consider the possibility that it was because you haven't been around a lot?
screaming at each other like 13 year olds fighting in the back seat of the car during a long road trip.
I found this funny because the one who actually 13(Reliant) was one of the most mature people in this conversation.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Teaos, did you consider the possibility that it was because you haven't been around a lot?
That comment was directed at Dusk in relation to the whole forum not just the RPG.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not really. Besides an outside perspective is often more accurate then we'd care to admit.
Not when said perspective doesn't know the history of what's going on.
So you're saying that because I started it, that makes me the bad person?
Where did I say that? All I said was that this is all of your own doing, which is true.
I just wanted the fraking fighters
For the thousanth time, that's part of his job.
None that I found acceptable. Would you find it acceptable to take commands from an officer of lower rank, or to take a job that wouldn't give you a lot to do?
If I had no other options I would have simply taken the reduction in rank and gotten on with life. It isn't the end of the world if you have to let go of your ego for a bit and accept a demotion.
Also, Teaos' science job doesn't give him that much to do, as there isn't much science going on. Mikey spends more time posting off-duty stuff than on-duty. You don't need to have an exciting job to do exciting stuff.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

As has now been confirmed, Blackstar, if you want to exercise most of the control over the fighters I'm willing (again) to let you join tactical - but this is the last time, because I'm getting sick of offering so many compromises and you won't take them. Your compromises are not compromises at all and all entail taking over my job or refusing to comply with what we all signed up for.

You can join tactical at whatever rank you want, but you're still in tactical and you're still reporting to the head of tactical. You can have the fighters but still follow tactical regulations. If my character said 'ready the fighters', then you have pretty much free reign from there. If my character said 'we need the fighters back in the ship' then you'd have to bring them back. My character won't be particularly obstructive towards you or anything of the like. My other 'Wing Commander' will still be there but will be below you in rank, and will generally still be the 'lead' fighter, while you can organise as you wish.

That's my final compromise, if you don't accept it then I'm not going to offer any more - you won't have anything to do with tactical (including the fighters).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That seems fair to me.

This way, Thorin gets to keep command of the fighters and keeps his characters doing what they were originaly doing, while Blackstar gets control of the fighters.
I'd advise you to take this offer, Blackstar. It's the best one you're going to get.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It seems workable to me, too. Blackstar - I do hope whatever condition you're dealing with gets better.

OK, sometime soon - next 24 hrs or so - I will try to put up a "filler" post to get us to port.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'll post the rest of my conversation with Teaos.