UES Longbow

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

UES Longbow

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Another of my ship designs. The Longbow is a successor to the Coventry class, and shows the evolution of technology
in Earth's shipbuilding of the time. The FTL drive system employed by Humans at this time was problematic, to say
the least, when used in a military context. The major problem was damage resistance; the FTL sails presented
an enormous target to an enemy, and were thus prone to taking hits during combat. Worse, the sails were highly
susceptible to damage and all but impossible to repair from the ship's own resources when damaged. Any interstellar
vessel which took a hit to the drive was effectively lost, unless it happened to be in a system with a highly
developed technological base.

The same problem had applied during peacetime, to a lesser extent. Several interstellar ships were marooned in
systems when they suffered a breakdown or other damage to the sail unit - meteor impact, for example. Given the
huge cost of such ships, this was an unacceptable situation.

Another issue was radiation. The operation of a sail drive released a great deal of radiation of several types, making
it hazardous to be in close proximity to the unit for any length of time. Most designs put the sail at the rear of the ship,
with the pressure hulls at the front and the fuel tankage between so that the tanks could absorb the radiation safely. But
this was hardly an ideal situation, given that it meant half the ship was all but off limits to the crew.

It was these difficulties which the Longbow class was devised to correct.

The Longbows were equipped with a sail system which was built as a detachable pod at the bow of the ship. This
allowed a damaged sail to be detached and swapped easily, greatly simplifying maintanence. The radiation danger
was reduced without the use of heavy shielding, by towing the main body of the ship far behind the pod, attached by a
length of monofilament cable. With the inverse square law in operation, radiation levels could be vastly reduced by just
a kilometre or so of seperation.

As well as a new design of FTL drive, the Longbows introduced the STL Repellor drive into full service. This reactionless
drive system was a major advance in ship design; when a vessel used a repellor drive everything aboard accelerated
together, so the ship experienced none of the acceleration forces of older drives. Using its repellor, the Longbow could
reach 26 gees.

The Longbow herself was barely returning from her shakedown cruise when the war began. She was returned
straight to the shipyards for refitting. Since she was at Earth, the technological and industrial powerhouse of
Humanity, the Longbow never had to cope with the more primitive weapons common to most Human ships in
the early years of the war; she began life fitted with the 2nd generation weapons and moved rapidly onto the third
generation fit. The unit depicted below is fitted with two twin 120 MW Gamma-ray laser cannon, and 72 ASN-3
missiles. Fitted with their own repellor engines, these had far greater range than the 2nd gen missiles and
24 x 100 megaton warheads. She was also fitted with four of the standard CIWS laser cannon.

The Longbows were the only Human military units which came close to matching the invaders. Detachable sail pods
could be left at a safe location before the ships went into combat, removing any danger of being stranded. The
weapons were effective enough to pose a real threat to enemy ships, giving the Longbows a real presence on the
battlefield.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I really like that idea. Especially how the FTL sail is detachable and can be kept out of harm's way if it is needed. Can't wait for more!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Pretty good. Fits in well with the style of your other ship and the detachable sail is an interesting concept.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UES Longbow

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I was bored so I decided to do a high resolution version of the CIWS systems used on the Longbow class. This model consists of a base unit which is bolted to the hull and contains motors to turn the unit in the horizontal plane; a mount which sits on the base and contains another pair of motors to elevate the weapon; an infa red laser cannon, rated at 20 MW, and a sensor cluster at the top. The system needs some through-deck penetration since it must be supplied with power by the host vessel, and has a link to the computer system so that simple "on/off" and engagement mode type commands can be sent to it, but is otherwise completely self contained and automated; one person could easily run ten or twenty of these.

As with most Human weapons of the time, sadly the CIWS was not particularly effective in its own right, and badly inferior to Saravan designs.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's a pretty cool cannon.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I'm not sure that guy in blue really wants to be stood there though :)
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Very nice - you've done a great job of fitting it into the slot of being an obvious Phalanx derivative while being distinct design rather than a rip-off of it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's a Coalition Navy officer's dress uniform...

(Which technically means this guy is misplaced by about 600 years, but shhhhhhhh :) )
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Very fancy. :)
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

(Which technically means this guy is misplaced by about 600 years, but shhhhhhhh :) )
Perhaps, I just meant he didn't want to be standing in the line of fire of that cannon :)
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh I dunno, I think the beam might just barely miss his head. Maybe! Not something to chance, though!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Oh I dunno, I think the beam might just barely miss his head. Maybe! Not something to chance, though!
He's going to get an extremely close haircut at the very least.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That's the dress uniform? Graham, is your picture next to the word "British" in the dictionary? :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yup :)

I just love the idea of a dress uniform in the year 3000 that includes a sword. :)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Only a Brit would bring a sword to a gun fight.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.