Empok Nor

Deep Space Nine
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Empok Nor

Post by Bryan Moore »

I love this episode, but the station's abandonment doesn't make a lot of sense to me: Why only leave 3 of these shock troops behind an abandoned station? If it's important enough to protect, protect it right. If it's not important and you don't plan on reusing the station, scuttle the thing beyond repair.

Moreover, if they abandoned it a year before the episode (as is stated), then you can assume the Klingons drove them out. This suggests the Klingons didn't try to capture or destroy the station either.

I can understand the idea of "okay, we'll keep it for later, in case we come back" especially for something that size. But in that case, protect it better!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Empok Nor

Post by stitch626 »

Why was the station always shown to be tilted? That bothered me.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

stitch626 wrote:Why was the station always shown to be tilted? That bothered me.
Tilted means evil/ominous, don't you know?! They can't give the station a goatee like they can people =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I never really thought about it, but you're right. Either abandon it completely, or garrison it appropriately.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And why didn't starfleet move in and occupy THIS station as well?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Probably had no tactical value. Remember, Terok Nor/DS9 had a pitiful armament before starfleet upgraded it. I imagine it was the same with Empok Nor.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

stitch626 wrote:Why was the station always shown to be tilted? That bothered me.
To immediately visually distinguish it from Terok Nor which was populated and stabilised? It's another Trek cliche, like when they show people as exhausted or having had no sleep, they just ruffle the character's hair a bit :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Bryan Moore wrote:I love this episode, but the station's abandonment doesn't make a lot of sense to me: Why only leave 3 of these shock troops behind an abandoned station? If it's important enough to protect, protect it right. If it's not important and you don't plan on reusing the station, scuttle the thing beyond repair.
You're right. 3 soldiers is nowhere near enough to garrison something. Maybe they were suffering severe manpower shortages?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mark wrote:And why didn't starfleet move in and occupy THIS station as well?
From what I gather from the episode, it was unclaimed space, but clearly the Cardassians had some sort of value to it. Now this is right before the start of the Dominion War, but Starfleet likely knew that with tensions building, they'd likely have no resources to spare. Remember, DS9, until Season 4 was extremely vulnerable. We can assume between seasons 3-4, the upgrades to DS9 took a few months and were VERY extensive, to an already running station. Empok Nor, likely would have taken even longer. And if there was no tactical necessity, such as the wormhole or the planet below that was home to something fun like Cotton Candy flavored aliens or perhaps Quantum Chakats, it wasn't worth the resource cost.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Bryan Moore wrote:...Quantum Chakats...
Check, please.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I am curious why the Cardassians would leave the station so undergunned for its size. I understand its just ore processing mostly, but you'd think they'd want to defend something with that much resources put into it with more teeth. This goes for DS9 too.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Was it undergunned by Cardassian standards? Their ships have been shown to be inferior to Federation ships in terms of firepower.

Though, given what DS9 could do after it was upgraded by the Federation, perhaps it should have had more guns even as a Cardassian mining station.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Here's a question: why wouldn't the Feds have taken Empok Nor, if only to cannibalize it for parts fro Terok Nor/DS9?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe they just wanted to replace damaged components with UFP tech instead?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Maybe DS9 was well armed but when the Cardassians pulled out they took all the weapons with them.