Why Didn't Nog Assume Command Of The Valient?

Deep Space Nine
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Why Didn't Nog Assume Command Of The Valient?

Post by Aaron »

In the episode Valient (I beleive) Nog and Jake run across the Valient crewed by a bunch of cadets, why as senior officer did Nog simply not just assume command and order them home rather than futzing around with his hero worship?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I haven't seen the ep recently, but IIRC, Nog was still technically a cadet and may not have been the most senior a/o ranking member of the crew.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

The cadet had a field promotion. Like in Voyager when Tom was field promoted to Lt. I belive field promotions are still the same as normal rank in terms of power. However I doubt that regulation had the cadet's situation in mind.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:I haven't seen the ep recently, but IIRC, Nog was still technically a cadet and may not have been the most senior a/o ranking member of the crew.
Actually Nog was an official ensign by then(the war was that bad) and should normally have power over the Cadets.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yes I believe several members of the crew had been field promoted. Even if they hadn't it might not have been wise to assume command. They probably would not of accepted him.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The people who were alreafy aboard, cadets though they might be, were obviously far more familiar with their personnel, engineering mods to the ship, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

The field promotion was void. Captains cannot promote to captain. So the original captain of the Valiant, before he died, shouldn't have been able to promote that cadet to Captain. So whoever the commander was actually was in charge :wink:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They might not be able to promote to Captain but they can promote to something higher than Nog at a Ensign was.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Even if the previous CO had only promoted the cadet in question to Ensign, he would still have outranked Nog based on seniority, since Nog wasn't promoted until shortly before OP RETURN, while the Valiant was lost on the first day.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Thorin wrote:The field promotion was void. Captains cannot promote to captain. So the original captain of the Valiant, before he died, shouldn't have been able to promote that cadet to Captain. So whoever the commander was actually was in charge :wink:
A captain who holds the rank of a captain, but previous mentions of Red Squad suggested that it was relatively new. I suspect that Red Squad was a flag officer's pet project and that officer may have been in charge of the training cruise. And though he was a flag officer, tradition says he should still be called a captain. It could be a personal preference of the Flag officer.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Thorin wrote:The field promotion was void. Captains cannot promote to captain. So the original captain of the Valiant, before he died, shouldn't have been able to promote that cadet to Captain. So whoever the commander was actually was in charge :wink:
A captain who holds the rank of a captain, but previous mentions of Red Squad suggested that it was relatively new. I suspect that Red Squad was a flag officer's pet project and that officer may have been in charge of the training cruise. And though he was a flag officer, tradition says he should still be called a captain. It could be a personal preference of the Flag officer.
He was a captain in rank, not just in title. He had 4 pips. An admiral would also not be allowed to go into the Gamma quadrant in such circumstances of war. Even when we have seen admirals in command of ships, they are still called admiral, not captain.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

He could have just added the pips himself. Picked some off one of the dead crew men.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Valiant's cruise wasn't in the GQ - it was within Federation space until the war broke out, and was then overrun by theDominion on the first day. What a bunch of cadets were doing so close to the border of a hostile power is anyones guess, but they were definately within Fed space.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

What better way to train the best than to subject them to real life missions?

These guys are the best. It would be pointless to send them patrolling alpha centuri.
Last edited by Teaos on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Thorin, there are like five things wrong in your statement. First of all we never saw the original captain so how could you possibly know how many pips he has? The war started after the ship left and it was never in the Gamma quadrent. And the Admiral may have prefered being called captain. Admirals can get away with minor rule bending(if it is a rule) because they have the rank to do it.

Okay that was only 3, but still, its a lot for this kind of situation.