Fantasy Universes

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Fantasy Universes

Post by Aaron »

I'd certainly be interested in a fantasy RP. I'm actually trying to get my paws on the WFB RPG but the core rulebook isn't available right now. :(

But chalk me up as interested. Double interested if I can carry a huge unfeasibly large blunderbuss and a lockpick hammer.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Okay here's what I'm thinking.

I was looking around at the different tools available online. The only pdf files of the rule book (Hey its been awhile since I played) are huge downloads on torrent sites. So maybe we'll just do a classic forum roleplay or just modify the rules of Dark Heresy that Kendall found-- whichever seems to be the most popular. We can still keep track of money and the like but unless someone is able to find a better pdf of the rulebooks available for free and a character creator that sounds like the road to go.

Looks like the general consensus is to limit the magic use in the game. What I'll probably do is type up a list of playable races and then available classes. So if anyone has a race and class they really want to be..
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Fantasy and scifi are pretty much equal to me, I enjoy both for their own reasons. And i'd be up for a fantasy RP in the style of the WH one.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The DH system would be pretty easy to modify. Just remove the guns and replace them with crossbows. Hell, there's already rules for bows.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

WFB Character Creator.

The rules are similar to DH I know that much. I'm looking around for a book but I'm not finding much.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:The DH system would be pretty easy to modify. Just remove the guns and replace them with crossbows. Hell, there's already rules for bows.
I'll check them out. I am downloading them anyway for the WH RP.

But if they don't work too well what I might do is the overly 'complex' Exalted rules. Modified since I can't remember the exact rules.

Exalted is a lot like D&D. But I prefer the combat over D&D because this is how combat is decided.

Each player has 6 d10s.
Only d10s are used in Exalted.

Roll your six d10 to do a combat move. Number + any modifiers due to level or gear minus any penalties due to spells or enemy armor (AC) determine your chance to hit against the creature's difficulty. i.e. creature has a difficulty of being hit as a 12. Out of 60 you roll 23. You hit creature. If you rolled an 11 but your bonus is a 3 you'd hit the creature.

Then you take your strength or agility depending on type of weapon and add your weapon damage that determines how hard you hit the creature for. i.e. you rolled 23 you hit. Your strength is a 7. Your weapon damage is +2. You hit for 9 damage.

Very very straight forward and simple.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think I'll use the Exalted combat rules. Hard to beat a combat system that simple.
Staplic found http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm which will also help.

Question: Are people really set on a 'good guy' quest? I've always wanted to play evil and well... since my Star Wars one collapsed awhile back there hasn't been an evil RP on our forums since.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:Question: Are people really set on a 'good guy' quest? I've always wanted to play evil and well... since my Star Wars one collapsed awhile back there hasn't been an evil RP on our forums since.
Sounds fun. I don't get to act evil very often. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'm up for anything.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Aye, anything is possible.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Okay so we got the combat down. Here's what I'm thinking for stats.

Strength: Determines attack power of melee weapons besides daggers
Intelligence: Determines attack power of spells
Willpower: Determines spell AC
Agility: Determines attack power of projectile weapons and daggers and chance to hit
Endurance: Determines hit points
Charisma: Determines how NPCs respond to you.

To keep it simple we'll keep using the d10. You get 7 rolls use the top 6 in any order. ( http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm ) A 6 is considered average.

Now I love to roll warriors or high charisma people so I'm going to make a warrior.

My seven rolls are:
5, 5, 10, 6, 9, 9, 1

I am throwing out the 1 of course.

Strength: 10
Intelligence: 5
Willpower: 6
Agility: 9
Endurance: 9
Charisma: 5

Now I rolled pretty good but those are my base stats.

I am simplifying this a little. In classic D&D you go by 2's. In this we're going by plus or minus number above 6.
For example I'd have a -1 to my attack power of my spells. So they would do one less damage. But since I'm a warrior and we're not going to be magic heavy that is okay since i get a +4 damage to my attack.

So let's look at this a little more in detail:

My warrior has an axe that has +2 damage. All weapons will have + something. Adding my strength makes it so I do +6 damage per hit. If I do -X damage no damage is inflicted. Any spells he does have a -1 damage (intelligence modifier). So a fire ball spell that does 2 damage now only does 1.

Any spell coming at my warrior has a +0 chance of being absorbed by his willpower since its at a neutral 6.

His agility is a +3. So when I roll those 6 d10s they are now a 6 d10+3. Meaning if I rolled a 43 then I have a plus 3 for a 46. If I used my crossbow then my arrow would have a +3 damage on it and a +3 chance to hit. Same with a dagger.

Endurance is +3 over the neutral 6. So if I have 10 hit points normally I now have 13.

My charisma is -1 so I'll be less likely to get the women.

Assuming this sounds good to you, feel free to post your own stats if you want me to double check them. Also if you have a creature in mind let me know.

I'm leaning towards the following playable races:
Human, Corrupt Human, High Elf, Wood Elf, Drow, Dwarf, Gnome, Minotaur, Gargoyle, Goblin, Orc, Half Orc, Macabre Reanimation, Demon Borne.

Each will have its own bonuses and minuses. Human will probably be neutral. Something like an orc will have minus intelligence but increased strength for example. If you don't see your favorite creature (remember we're going evil) let me know and I'll try to post it.

-Remain Star Trek-
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Okay, i'm going to go wood elf. I know its kinda non-evil but there are exceptions to every rule.

my roles were - 9,7,5,6,4,7,6 which means i shall discount the 4.

So
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Willpower: 7
Agility: 7
Endurance: 6
Charisma: 6

I've shaped up a nice magical/dagger wielding elf. A very stereotypical elf character, but thats just what I like.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I see Dwarf but are they not obscenely good?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

So an evil game, with limited magic, that is a mix of forum and P&P RPing? I guess that means being a full scale nercomancer would be too much?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'm going with a gargoyle, though I don't know much about these races so I might change. My roles were: 6 + 9 + 10 + 1 + 5 + 7 + 3, so obviously I'm dropping the 1.

Strength: 7
Intelligence: 6
Willpower: 5
Agility: 10
Endurance:9
Charisma: 3
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.