TW: Children of Earth

kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: TW: Children of Earth

Post by kostmayer »

Yeah, people call him dull, but he's always been one of my fave characters.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

That was a really good episode. The tough decisions and dark tones of it really p*ss all over dr who but then again torchwood was planned as a more grown up version of who.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

colmquinn wrote:torchwood was planned as a more grown up version of who.
About bloody time they delivered on that.

I'm wondering how this is going to end - whether it'll finish tonight, or whether it'll run into the next DW special.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Jesus, that was dark. Bloody brilliant, though. I don't think Torchwood's ever had me on the edge of my seat like I was tonight. I was sure they were going to pulll a Deus Ex Machina ending where the bad guys would get what they deserved and all the good guys would be happy and fine. It's good to see that they didn't pull any punches at the end.
I felt really sorry for John Forbisher (Sp?), and was rather stunned at what he did (I thought he was just going to kill himself).

That said, I do believe we've seen our last ever episode of Torchwood. Which is a shame, as that was some excellent writing.

From me, Children Of Earth gets a 5/5 rating. Not something I'd ever have imagined giving a Torchwood episode, but it was well deserved.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Yeah i reckon that was the end of torchwood, at least with the current lineup anyway.

Great episode and indeed the whole story was well done. Frobisher's actions I suppose were the only way to give his character some kind of "decent" way out.

The ending was excellent
The ending with jack sacrificing the child and not having some kind of shit like he had similar power to jack or that jack could bring him back was well done and leaving the 456 as only being chased off means that they can come back in future or in dr who as wanting revenge was nicely left open
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

This was a really good miniseries. The ending was the real payoff though. Such choices to make, and the choices stick and hurt. I can't remember seeing such a dark ending on a television show before. That was something else. :shock:

What colmquinn said about
the 456 crossing paths with the Doctor, I can only imagine the fury of the Time Lord at the sight of children being used as recreational drugs.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Did the British government do the right thing?
Stan - South Park
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's not much else they could do.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

They could have
brought torchwood in from the start instead of trying to kill them. if they were as madly fearful about jack revealing the past they could've just threatened to reveal his part in it and to get him to keep quiet. Not sure how things would've played out much differently overall but then I'd trust torchwood to have the know how to work out some sort of plan before things got too out of hand
Or maybe it would've all come to nothing

(Not sure why I spoilered that really)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, it was foolish to try and kill of Torchwood (I don't think we need to bother spoilerising the thread, it's already full of such spoilers). Though it probably would have just resulted in Ianto's death a lot quicker.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Rochey wrote: Though it probably would have just resulted in Ianto's death a lot quicker.
And just made it a 2 of 3 parter rather filling a whole week for the beeb :)
I'm really glad that the bbc used a longer story format though and that they hopefully carry the longer more in depth idea into dr who though I don't hold out much hope since who is aimed at a slightly younger audience.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

colmquinn wrote:I'm really glad that the bbc used a longer story format though and that they hopefully carry the longer more in depth idea into dr who though I don't hold out much hope since who is aimed at a slightly younger audience.
I don't know. If they turned individual stories into, say, 4- or 6-parters of 25 minutes each, maybe that could work. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Back to the old format, though I doubt they'll go that way because not that they've gotten an hour an episode they're not likely to give up the time slot. I'd like it to be more like series consisting of mostly 2 parters and the final being a 3 part with a couple of single episodes sprinkled through it to keep people with short attention spans interested.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I'm a little torn about things. I'd have loved for the public to find out what the government was up to.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:Did the British government do the right thing?
Not to my mind. I'd have told them to get stuffed.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...